1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need some help here with thermal paste

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by trt740, Jun 21, 2009.

1. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    there is a thermal paste that member on this forum have used in the past that will bond a heat sink to a video cards ram etc... but will also let you remove the heat sink and it's not permanent. Anyone remember what it was that was used?

2. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    okay got my answer by Pm thx Nate.

3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Thet sucks. What if someone else wanted to know?

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
  5. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    That doesn't bond...it's just a thermal paste that doesn't require any break in time. Also good for bare-die CPU's and GPU's because it's not conductive. I'm using it on my CPU right now, have been for quite some time. Works quite well, but it doesn't give you any sticky.

6. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Listen to this man, what you need is 3m thermal tape.

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you're asking for the impossible. something that bonds/sticks something in place, but isnt permanent? aint gunna happen in a paste. You need double sided adhesive thermal tape.

8. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    Hey if Nate says it works then it does. It might not be super glue but he says it holds.

9. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    If that were true then none of the adhesives on heatsinks would allow them to stick but be removed and we know thats not true. They may not be super strong but they do hold the heat sinks on and can be removed later. I wasn't looking to hold a 1 pound CPU heat sink on just some ram heatsinks and good heat transferring thermal tape is hard to find.

10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    paste dries and shifts over time. it has no adhesive properties, only the suction effect of a liquid, like two sheets of glass with a drop of water between them.

They might hold for a week or two, but they WILL drop off.

11. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    I have used AS-5 on ram heat sinks before and after it dries it will hold a ram heat sink on no problem. Heck when used on a cpu if your not careful it will bond so strong it will pull the cpu from the socket if your not careful removing it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  12. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i've done it before too. and i was lucky not to lose my system when two of the sinks fell off the next day.

CPU is not the same as a heatsink - its the suction effect i mentioned. its got a much larger surface area. a ramsink is small, so you get the evaporation effect over a much larger amount of the total surface area, drying it out much quicker.

if you want to run it that way, good luck to you. but for anyone else who reads this, i'm severely recommending against it.

P.S in your last of many edits, it seems you ate half your post.

13. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    I've done it several times. We are not talking about hanging from a steel beam by a construction helmet here. We are talking about a 11mm heatsink.

14. boomstik360

boomstik360

Thanks Received:
    Geez calm down...

15. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, if your going to do that you may want to at least but a bit of super glue on the corners of the ram chip. I hear that it works pretty well, although I have never done it myself, and a quick tap will knock the sink right off. The only problem is that the glue leaves a little residue that can be difficult to clean.

trt740 says thanks.
  16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    that was my solution when i did it. some people suggest a 50/50 mix of superglue and ASC/AS5, although i've never tried that to see if it works.

trt740 says thanks.
  17. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I used that AS Ceramique to keep ram sinks on my x1950xtx's memory, worked great for a long time except for one sink that had to be offset a bit due to one of the heatpipes on the AC S1. I eventually got that one to seat fine too and it did work out just fine overall for a long, long time. The nice thing with that stuff is the fact it's not permanent and is easily removable. Using ceramique definately held better than the lame adhesive that came preapplied on the S1's ramsinks.

:toast:

Mussels says thanks.
  18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    we have one testimonial that it worked at least.

can you give more specifics on it? how much you used, what procedure, etc.

19. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hear that works pretty well but I've allways wondered if it leaves a residue and how you would clean it, other than with sandpaper. At the end of the day it's not like thermal tape is expensive, though.

20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    speaking of, this is the thermal tape i use

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4712

and if i want permanent:
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1382
    (you can also use paste in the middle, and a little bit of that on a corner... but the stuffs strong. i glued two coins together years and years ago, and they're still stuck together today)

BababooeyHTJ and trt740 say thanks.
  21. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Sure, removed the adhesive from the ramsinks, cleaned off the ram chips with 90% rubbing alcohol, the usuall goodies there. Applied a small dab, about half pea-sized or so, set the sink with a slight twisting motion to spread, held down with light but firm force for about 30 seconds or so, moved onto the next one. Then I let the card sit with all sinks seated for around 5-10 minutes or so, and I was good to go. It didn't take much paste at all, but the S1's ramsinks are very small and short, light weight, dunno how well larger sinks would hold, but in my situation that method worked just fine.

:toast:

BababooeyHTJ and trt740 say thanks.
  22. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    To all of you that I was a bit hard on here my apologies these post are very helpful

thanks :D I was being a jerk for no reason, must be on the cotton pony today. Keep the ideas coming.

23. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the tips, I'll have to look arounf for that thermal tape. To be honest I have never removed a ramsink with thermal tape. Is it a pain?

Now that seems like the way to go since there is a nice thin layer as well. Must make for decent heat transfer.

24. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    heat it up and twist it off. hair dryer works.

25. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    I cannot even find a site that sells thermal tape in the USA ( unless it's in a 30 foot roll) and to be honest, sometimes the tape I have used doesn't conduct heat very well. The Arctic cooler 280 gtx extreme cooler thread is trying to deal with thick thermal tape causing VRMS to overheat because of bad heat transfer to the heatsink. However, that doesn't mean there isn't better performing thermal tape / pads out there. I just haven't had a good experience with it. I like the direct contact of thermal adhesive but don't like that it's permanent. I have heard of people using a drop of thermal adhesive and they using the cold and a slight twist to remove heat sinks etc. That process seems to scare me a bit.

scratch that found some http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3776/thr-18/Thermal_Tape_-_1_Inch_Square_148_0012.html?tl=g8

here is some more aswell http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g8/...l_Interface_Materials-Thermal_Tape-Page1.html

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009