1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need some help on picking some good headphones

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by tacosRcool, Jul 2, 2012.

1. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    I actually have zero clue as to what you are saying here...honestly.

Is this one of those "Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like" posts?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  2. Ra97oR

Ra97oR

Thanks Received:
    I just can't stand who just read and recommend because they read something on Head-Fi. It will be best if headphones are available to be tested everywhere. Reading and listening first hand is totally different.

3. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    By the same token, the OP shouldn't have even made this thread then. :rolleyes:

4. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    highly populated cities and surrounding areas have stores that carry a lot of brands but not all of them let you audition or they do but have too much ambient noise (malls for example) or bad sources. people on Head-Fi write about negative experiences all the time. it's probably one of the reasons they have so many meet ups.

theJesus says thanks.
  5. Ra97oR

Ra97oR

Thanks Received:
    To be honest for over 300USD purchases myself, if there is no demo available, I would buy second hand. Audio is very personal there might be thousands hyping something but it might just not work out at all for yourself.

At lower prices like now, you can always resell with minimal loss. At higher price bracket, second hands pricing will hurt a lot more.

6. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    This is six/one-half-dozen the other. If the headphones are more often praised than they are put down, then it seems fair to me to say that they are decent headphones.

Also, I included that I have first-hand experience with the headphones I mentioned and, as a layman, found them to be quite appealing.

Now I ask this; what's the difference between one individual (myself), and thousands of individuals, saying the headphones are good headphones?

Ultimately, whether or not headphones are good is quite subjective. Another major factor is the type of music you listen to, so on and so forth.

7. Ra97oR

Ra97oR

Thanks Received:
    The downside of the "thousands" that heard the headphone might just be thousands that seen someone posted an impression on a pair of headphones and copied it.

It also makes less popular headphones highly polarizing as a few will have heard it and just follow someone's idea as the bible.

Comparing headphones, using a pair of headphones the reader have already heard is far more effective than trying to describe the headphones purely by words. That however does require the reader having heard multiple of headphones to make it work.

Being said so, reading might give you a general idea but there is always your own ears to judge. Popular brands and high price tag headphones are often hyped in terms of their actual performance. Newcomers might hype their Sennheiser as best ever heard because they never heard anything better, people spending large sum might also hype the performance so they will think their money more well spent.

8. anoobarak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Quick question:
    what good headphones (preferably closed ones) can be bought within the uk for under 100 quid? I mostly listen to dance music so.. BASS!1!11

9. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.amazon.co_uk/dp/B000W6Y0JY/?tag=tec053-21

Very good deal, they are quite coloured and very fun. Best under £100 for now.

They share the same drivers as the Denon D1001, and its a bit on the fragile side (ie its not built like a tank) but its durable enough for daily wear. Just don't drop them or abuse them.

anoobarak says thanks.
  10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I used to own a pair of Denon D1001. nice headphones for the price. Fostex drivers get around.

11. anoobarak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Guess what - just bought them. Never used headphones ever before, only in-ear earphones, and all of those were from creative so I'm quite fond of the brand. It's gonna be for home use basically so reliability on this matter should'nt be a worry ;) thanks for the suggestion

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  12. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    lucky you. Creative discontinued them.

13. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    That's why I recommended purchasing from Amazon so there's a good return policy if he doesn't like it. I return stuff to Amazon all the time and there's no hassle as you long as you actually buy from Amazon (or "fulfilled" by Amazon, whatever).

It's hard to return stuff when you purchase second-hand just 'cause you don't like it and reselling is a PITA.

14. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I don't mind used sources or amplifiers but headphones.. kinda gross specially when you read "I am the third owner" yeah those headphones like to get around lol

theJesus says thanks.
  15. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    Well got these babies today and man do they sound great! Only problem is that I will have to buy an extender or something since the jack won't get hardly any contact on my smartphone!

theJesus says thanks.
  16. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    I looked at that site and was unimpressed by the people in the forums there

17. AhokZYashA

AhokZYashA

Thanks Received:
    the M50's jack is a bit on the big side,
    but i dont have a problem with a caseless iphone or any android phones.
    except the recessed jack iphone 2G...

18. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    this. amazon also pays shipping back if you claim its defective.

19. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the M50 are travel friendly but not portable.

20. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad you like 'em :D I've got another pair on the way as well.

21. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    Damn you! You are right! I used some friends decent headphones and man, I don't like them! Even my earbuds are meh now!

theJesus says thanks.
  22. baggpipes

baggpipes New Member

Thanks Received:
    LMFAO.... and does everybody like buy headphones yearly? so many headphone experts...

23. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    I think the issue with Head-Fi is that is there are a lot of biased people and a lot of first time buyers. Together that is a dangerous mix and it has to my mind become a real hype-machine. A lot of the first or sub 20 post posters are very opinionated, some are of course experienced but to me it seems a bit odd.

That is not to say that everything there is bad. Some of the experienced guys are spot on in their reviews.

Also the reviews conducted on the site seem very biased. Which is perhaps to be expected considering that the site is totally reliant on the sponsorships from the very headphone manufacturers that send stuff to the site for review.

I have heard quite a few headphones and most are alright, some a plain bad and some are extraordinary for the cost. Creative branded "Denon D1000" which are made by Fostex are a steal. If you want a fun sounding mid-end set of headphones these will do you fine. Same way as the KRK KNS-series headphones are good value for people who do not mind the more neutral sound.

Sorry for the crazy long post I just thought that people should be vary of what they find in even headphone-only forums.

Cheers,
    Fred

theJesus says thanks.