• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need some help with connecting system panel header

trancenger

I bought Asrock939Dual-Sata2 (the board looks very impressive) + 1 Gb ram + 512 Mb+ 512 MB rams + Plextor716SA, 3200 processor + Samsung 250 Sata 2 hdd + power colour X800GTO graphic card + Silentium T1 case (350 W contineous power, 450 Max power). I wanted to learn a bit so i decided to install everything myself but i am not sure if i did it correctly. I am not sure if i made the right connection on system panel header and the usb headers i didnt even touch. So i didnt switch the system on coz i am not sure. Any help from the forum will come handy.

1) I connected the power led connector coming from my casing which has three small sockets, the middle one has no wire while the 1st has a green wire and the 3rd has a white wire, i connected it to speaker1/pwr led1 (p.2 No.19 in the manual) with the green wire connected to the first connector coz this the only connector which provides the possibility to connect any cable with three sockets. Is this connection correct? I am confused coz in the system panel header there is also a Power led +/- but only has two pins, so the 3 pins cant be connected there.

2) Next in the Hdled+/- of the system panel i connected the red cable coming from the case to +ve and white to the -. Correct or not?

3) Next I connected the green cable of the reset cable coming from the case to the reset# and white to the ground.

4) Finally i connected the red wire of power led wire coming from the case to the PWRBTN# and the black one to the ground.

5)ok now comes the usb header. The cables coming from the case are VCC(red), D-(white), D+(green) and ground (black) and i think they should be connected to the usb header in the following way: red to usb_PWR, white to P-7, green to P+7 and black to GND.

6) I connected 20 pin ATX Power connector without problem but i also ATX 12 V power connector. This is ok i guess.

7) Last one i swear. I connected the fan to the processor in the opposite direction. I think it should work ok but its just that the metal locking pin is quite close to a capacitor.

I hope i was able to explain my situation. Thanks in advance.

System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Your display lights are motherboard specific, you'll have to look at your installation manuel to see where the HDD light, and other connectors are postioned/oriented. You are probably correct in the assumption that black = ground, white = negative, and red = postive. the USB headers should have a pin missing, to let you know how to orientate them. Your processor fan should be keyed to plug in only one direction without forcing it, and the connector should be plastic so you don't have to worry about how close it is to a capacitor. If you are only using a 20-pin connector on the motherboard you will need to plug in the 12V connector, on some of the lower Athlon XPs I think you can get away without the 12V connector, but it won't hurt to have it plugged in. You absolutly need to have it for Athlon 64s. If your still not sure I'll try to look at the .pdf of your manuel and see if I can expalin your speaker pins and other displays, but its to late at night for me to think about it right now.

Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
I don't think your PC would even turn on. You said you wired the power LED wire to the PWRBTN connector? PWRBTN obviously stands for power button. ;) But check in your manual, it should state everything you need to know about pinouts for all the headers. Otherwise just get the manual online.

Don__1

What do you want to know ?

From your description I think you need to read the manual/get some help.

Does the PC actually work or have you 'let some of the smoke out' ?

Last edited: