1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need some help with disabling windows services

Discussion in 'General Software' started by KBD, May 28, 2008.

1. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    So i disabled some stupid services (print spooler, fast user switching, etc) in my Win Xp Pro. I did it by accesing msconfig and unchecking the stuff i don't want and applying and then i had to restart. After i get back into XP i get a pop up saying that Windows is in diagnostic & repair mode because i messed with msconfig. well, i don't think i want in that mode so i went to see if the services i disabled were stopped, they were, and in the general category i selected normal startup as opposed to Selective startup that XP defaulted to. After i rebooted all the services i disable are running again, so what am i doing wrong? :confused:

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Disabling the print spooler and fast user switching wouldn't make your machine do that. What else did you disable? The best way to disable services is Right click My Computer->Manage->Services. Right click on the service you want to disable and do it.:)

3. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    You know what, i think you are right. I didn't disable anyrhing critical. However, i do get occasional BSODs upon boot (a problem that i never could solve, i get a BSOD that says that my BIOS is not ACPI compliant) and it happened right after i disabled the services so that's why i got Diagnostic mode.

I'll try to do it throufg services in Admin Tools like u sed.

4. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm use Run> Services.msc then disable services you don't need... There was a guide around here with optimizations for XP with some services that are ok to be turned off...

5. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thnx, i'm already using that guide.

Now i have a new problem, i used Services.msc to disable services i don't want (most of the services recomended to be disabled in that guide), i checked msconfig to make sure they have stopped and they have. However, after i reboot the machine some of them are running again according to msconfig. What am i doing wrong?