1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need some info for rams on Windowxp pro 32 bits

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Leebruce, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Leebruce New Member

Thanks Received:
    Guys how much Rams can i use on Window xp pro 32 bits/or able to put on my computer.err cuase one of my friends said if u using window xp pro 32 bits u can only put max 2 gig ram is this true or false

2. paybackdaman

paybackdaman New Member

Thanks Received:
    On 32 bit operating systems on 3GB max can be seen by the operating system. That includes your video card memory and any other built in system memory. So if you have a Graphics card with 512mb and you have 2gb memory you only have 512mb left of memory able to be used by it. With 64 bit you can have as much memory as you want.

3. Leebruce New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh danm thx payback thats some sick info ^^il guess il have to go vista then ZzZ dun really like using vista... THXXX alot

4. paybackdaman

paybackdaman New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is XP 64-bit version. But I am running Vista Ultimate 64-bit and have had no problem with it. In fact being an avid XP user for many years, I would even recommend it. SP1 for Vista has been a godsend.

5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When I ran 4GB on XP it registered as 3.5GHz due to the addressing as payback aluded to with the graphics. In all honesty unless you are trying to help out Crysis or run Photoshop or cad., the 4GB is over rated.

In vista I am running 4GB but with everything loaded in prefetch and whatnot, I am using 1GB of ram all the time. So essentially I have 3GB in Vista...lol Altho it can be released by Vista if the memory space was needed elsewhere!

paybackdaman says thanks.
  6. paybackdaman

paybackdaman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah yes...sorry. 3.5GB of memory. My bad. :)

7. Leebruce New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol oh cool thx for cleary it up i was getting confuse wheather it was 3 or 4 gigs

8. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Wasnt nit picking , I was showing that either way its the same really in XP or Vista with 4GB of ram, the real issue is does he need to worry about the 512Mb of MIA ram in XP, vs buying a new OS.....most likely not!

On that note tho I am on vista myself, and I have to agree its great!:toast: