1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Specific Help With New Build

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by b2darizzle, Mar 20, 2009.

1. b2darizzle

b2darizzle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey everybody, I'm new to the forums and this whole site in particular. I checked out a few walkthroughs so far and still find myself stumped.

I'm sorry ahead of time if I'm violating any rules; I just started the build and I'm pressed for time, and I'm just reaching out for a little quick help.

I just got all the components to build my dad a new computer and I was going to take a stab at it for the first time. I've been super careful and ultra non-staticky, so no worries.

I'm a good ways into it, I'm only having problems with the case connection to the mb and the psu connection to the mb. I'm just not sure if I have it done correctly.

These are the specs:
    • MB - Asus M3N78 PRO
    • CPU - AMD Phenom X4 9950
    • HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB
    • CD/DVD - Pioneer BDC-2202B Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Combo Drive SATA
    • Case - APEVIA X-Infinity ATXB6KLW-AL Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 350W power supply for AMD/Intel Power Supply - Retail

I've been following this guide - - along with the manual for the motherboard. I got to the point in the guide where I'm to power the mb. I get the green LED light on the mb and the CPU fan spins. It doesn't make any horrid noise or smoke or emit serious heat.

My problem is I don't hear any case sounds. I have the case connections plugged in to a quick connection adapter provided with the mb, thought I'm not sure if I have the audio connection correct. I've attached some pictures of the mb and its current connections.

The one thing I'm worried about is the PSU. In the manual for the mb, it mentions that full capability settings require no less than 600w from the PSU; however, like I said, it still runs fine (minus case beeps) when testing it as in the guide.

Thank you so much in advance. I'll be up all night trying to deal with this.

Brad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    So what is not powering up? Is it booting? Are you getting bios beeps?

3. b2darizzle

b2darizzle New Member

Thanks Received:
    No beeps. When connected to the wall, and the PSU turned on, when I power up from the button on the case, the LED on the mb lights up and the fan on the CPU heatsink spins.

But no beeps. In the pictures with the audio and other cables from the front of the case, you can see that the audio cable doesn't fit the pins on the quick connect adapter. The audio cable has 2 rows of 5 pins, while the adapter only has one row of 4 pins delegated to the audio from the front bus of the case.

In the picture below that one, it shows another spot on the mb where the manual says to plug in the audio cable from the front of the case. I've tried all these options and nothing is working. Am I doing something wrong with the power connectors' arrangement? Or am I plugging the audio in completely wrong to begin with?

I will post direct links to the components I bought in a second when I line them all up. Hopefully, with the specs ready at hand, you guys that are more handy with computer building can help from ground zero.

brb.

Brad

4. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    Did you make sure to plug in the CPU power connector from The power supply?

5. b2darizzle

b2darizzle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's the list of components and the links to the pages I bought them from. Please, all you guys that have superior knowledge of computer building, check out these specs as they might have a lot to do with the problem of the lack of beeps when turning on the mb.

Thanks again everybody, I'm counting on you guys so that I can finish this up for my dad.

Brad

6. b2darizzle

b2darizzle New Member

Thanks Received:
    CPU power connector?

The only connection around the CPU was the heatsink fan to the CPU fan on the mb.

On the picture I posted of the mb, if it's visible, where do you think this "CPU power connector" would go? I didn't see anything mentioning it in the manual, but I might very well be overlooking it. I'll check the setup on the mb in the meantime.

7. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    Okay if you had one it would be right around the CPU. Are you using a 350w PSU? Also what video card are you using?

8. b2darizzle

b2darizzle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the PSU is 350w.

Which plug from the PSU would be for the CPU power?

9. b2darizzle

b2darizzle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I also have a question which I can only believe to be ridiculous because none of the manuals say anything about it, nor do the online guides.

With the power cords from the PSU, the long white ones with 4 semi-large pins or slots for 4 semi-large pins... do I just plug them into each other? Does it matter what order I plug them into each other? Nothing I've read says exactly what to do with them.

Please spare me the noob comments, and again, thanks.

Brad

10. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Your quick connector (4-pin speaker)should connect to small case speaker that came with case itself.Then you will get your beeps.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  11. b2darizzle

b2darizzle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, the 2 row 5 pin cable labled "audio" coming from the case is the one that goes in the slot you're showing on the mb.

Now, this case speaker cable should be coming from the case as well? I'll take a picture of the cables I have coming from the case to let you see, but I have no cable with a one row, 4 pin connector at the end. And none of the cables say "audio" or "speaker."

Thanks for helpin me man, I hope we can get it on the road.

12. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY

Thanks Received:
    Here is a pic of your case speaker,[​IMG]

13. b2darizzle

b2darizzle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, cool, I got the case speaker installed. After turning on the PSU and getting power, I get one beep followed by another about 10 seconds later. I waited about 30 seconds after that and didn't hear another beep, so I just powered down. I heard that I was supposed to hear a long string of beeps, so are these 2 beeps not good?

Also, if somebody can help me understand how to use the power cords from the PSU. I see where some of them plug directly into the components, but should I connect the bigger ones I mentioned earlier to the others? Sorry guys, I was born lost, so any help is welcomed.

14. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    OOPS, should have check first-Award-Peonix bios, but same thing applies:
    Here are 2 main beep codes for the Award BIOS:
    one long beep and two short beeps - Video error (reseat or replace video card)
    two short beeps - Non-Fatal Error (reseat RAM, check other components)

Try using only one stick of ram and then swapping them, to see if it is ram.:)

15. b2darizzle

b2darizzle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've reset the RAM, taken it out, tried it in different slot, tried only one at a time, and I'm still getting the 2 short beeps then nothing. Is it possible my RAM isn't compatible with the mb? When the setup is correct, what beeps will I hear?

Thanks for all the help thus far yall.

16. b2darizzle

b2darizzle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I found this on the detailed spec sheets for the mobo and the RAM.

For the mb:

Maximum Memory Supported:
    4GB - 32bit
    8GB - 64bit

Memory Supported:
    ECC
    non-ECC
    667MHz DDR2
    800MHz DDR2
    1066MHz DDR2 (AM2+ CPU Only)

Max. Memory Supported Per Slot:
    2GB

And for the RAM:

Memory Type:
    Dual Channel DDR2

Memory Size:
    2 x 2048MB

Memory Speed:
    800MHz PC6400

Just from what I saw, it doesn't seem like the ram is incompatible, but is it still possible? I'm not sure where to go from here, so any help would be appreciated.

Brad

17. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Are you getting any video?

Try re-setting bios and do not connect any devices except the monitor and hard drive.

18. b2darizzle

b2darizzle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I'm getting video now.

Now, when starting up, I can enter the BIOS configuration (by pressing DEL) and view the BIOS post message (TAB). When viewing the post message, it brings me to a black screen that says "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter."

I looked in the BIOS config and saw that it is reading all of the RAM, so I don't think that's the problem.

I'm still kind of nervous with plugging in the other components (hard drive, cd/dvd, fans) because I'm still not sure how those plugs from the PSU work. I have 3 cords from the PSU besides the one plugged into the mb, all of which have that same thick, 4 pin setup. Do I just plug them in as I need them, in no specific order?

Also, what is this system disk? Not the disk that came with the mb, right? I haven't even installed the hard drive or the cd/dvd drive, let alone the OS.

Sorry for the constant problems guys, but I think we're on the road to having it done.

19. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Plug in the cd/dvd and power to it, so you can load your operating system. And connect the fans.

It is looking for the operating system...DOS, windows, linux, etc.

You haven't installed it yet. Time to install?

20. b2darizzle

b2darizzle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Right, that's what it sounds like... but like I said, I don't even have the hard drive installed on the mobo, along with the cd/dvd.

The SATA connections on the back of the cd/dvd and hard drive plug into the SATA ports on the mobo, I got that. But as for the power connections to both, how do I plug them into the PSU? Just plug them into anyone of the open connectors (the big white ones with 4 holes)?

Also, I'm just using onboard sound and video for right now.

21. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  22. b2darizzle

b2darizzle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool, thanx a lot, that helps plenty.

I see here
    [​IMG]

I understand that the black connector goes to the SATA device, and the white connector looks like the several coming out of the PSU. After connecting the SATA connection cables, what do I plug the other end of the SATA power cable to (the larger white connector to what)?

Like I said, there's several connectors just like this one, male and female, coming out of the PSU. Does it matter which one I plug into? Or do I just find an open connector and plug it in?

Thanks a lot though, Viper, Greasemonkey, and Revenge. This is my first time around and it really helps to talk with people who know what they're doing.

23. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Anyone that matches. They should fit only one way as they are keyed(a flat edge on a corner).

24. b2darizzle

b2darizzle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, let me go try.

After I get all of the components set up and plugged in, then I should boot up with the Windows Vista Home Premium I bought? Or is there something I need to do in the BIOS before hand?

25. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Try just putting the disk in the dvd/cd and see if see goes. And, if it does just read and follow the instructions.

Later, mess with the bios...if you want.