• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Specific Help With New Build

b2darizzle

Thanks man, let me go give this stuff a try then I need to get some rest. I'll be back in touch in the morning if I can't get it working. Thanks for all your help!

Brad

b2darizzle

Hey everybody, I'm at it again.

I haven't tried installing the OS yet since I've seen that "failure to boot" message, as I'm still trying to install all the components to the mobo.

I've installed all these components so far:
  • Hard drive
  • CD/DVD
  • Case fan #1 and #2
  • Onboard audio and video

I have 3 slots on the mobo that are confusing me and giving me problems when trying to bring power to the system.

3 fan slots on the mobo:
  • CPU Fan
  • PWR Fan
  • CH1 Fan

I've got the CPU Fan plugged in and it works fine. I'm not sure what the CH1 Fan does, since I've got the other 2 case fans working fine now. But the problem comes in at the PWR Fan.

It says in the manual to plug the power supply into this connection on the mobo; however, when I do so and try to start up the machine, I get a quick flash from the case's LEDs then it just shuts off completely. No bad noise or smell, just shuts off to where I have to turn off the PSU and turn it back on before I can power up from the button on the case.

I do notice that without this jack on the mobo (PWR Fan) plugged into anything, when the system is starting up, I can feel the fan on the PSU spinning and blowing out warm air. ???

Isn't that what the PWR Fan jack on the mobo is supposed to do?

This is the last thing I'm working on before I start getting into the software of it. Any ideas?

Brad

System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Motherboard ASROCK Z390 TAICHI
Cooling COUGAR HELOR 360 AIO
Memory 32GB TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 ULTRA
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG STRIX 4K UG27UQR
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Audio Device(s) STEELSERIES ARCTIS 7 WIRELESS
Power Supply EVGA SUPERNOVA G+ 1000
Mouse STEELSERIES RIVAL 600
Keyboard STEELSERIES APEX 7 TKL
Software WINDOWS 10 ENTERPRISE
Benchmark Scores WUT
What video card are you using? The 350w psu is concerning me as well those phenoms take some power.

b2darizzle

I'm just using onboard graphics, I wasn't building it for gaming. It's for ma paw, and that dood don't game.

It's concerning me too, the PSU. Though the manual says "recommended 600w," I didn't read it anywhere in the specs online. How serious is it? Like I said, things still turn on, and the fan in the PSU spins (though I have nothing plugged into PWR Fan on the mobo). It brings me through the start up process like normal, it's just stopping because it has nothing to read I suppose.

But any ideas on this PWR Fan connector on the mobo (and the fact the fan in the PSU still spins) or about the current wattage compared to the recommended wattage of the PSU? I'm a super noob, and before I mess it up, I bum knowledge. Thanks again tho, bro.

Brad

-Sorry, what I was meaning to ask about the PSU:

What can happen with 350w though the recommened is 600w? Again, everything turns on correctly and I get no errors aside from the failure to boot system disk. Is it like a slow but definate destruction of my components?

b2darizzle

Just wanted to let you guys that have been helpin me know that I got it up and running! Thanks a lot, couldn't have done it without you guys, and now I kinda got a better idea of what to do and not to do next time.

I have another question though (of course). The processor I have says 64-bit and the version of windows vista I got is 64-bit. Why is it that my display settings in windows only says 32-bit is the highest? Is there something I have to set up in the BIOS?

Thanks again for everything yall.

Brad

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope, you don't have to set the bios for that. The operating system is based on 64 bit code. The video is 32 bit in color depth or bit depth. Two different things.