1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need suggestion: NAS with BitTorrent

Discussion in 'Storage' started by iosoft, Nov 8, 2008.

1. iosoft

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

I am new to this forum.

I am looking for a NAS with Automatic Download capability.

I found this cheap solution -
    http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=370087164515
    Using this, I can run the sharing 24Hr without much stress on Electricity-Bill and relief my expensive Gaming-RiG.

Should I go for it ?
    Is the Processor and RAM is enough for BitTorrent jobs ?
    (I generally do 2:SEEDs,1: DOWNLOAD)

Thank you for your suggestion.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    my suggestion: dont. these NAS devices are very hard to configure, i'll list a few problems i've had with the ones i've used.

Torrents:
    *you cant set a port. that means you need to DMZ it, or speeds will be terrible. security risk.

HTTP
    referrer links dont work. that means rapidshare megaupload etc, or sites with anti leech settings wont allow your NAS to download.

Both:
    *Most dont let you pause/resume downloads, which means you better not want to use the net for anything else while its going.

the unit you linked to is the EXACT one that i own. its Fing terrible, but i couldnt get a refund.
    iosoft says thanks.
  3. iosoft

Thanks Received:
    OMG. Thanks for the warning :toast:
  4. HighEndToys

Thanks Received:
    You need a real NAS, think Thecus, QNAP, IcyBox.

I know this guy.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120329674387&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=002

That is your entry point. If you value my opinion I would buy THAT one, that exact one:)

All joking aside (no really, THAT ONE) that is your entry point for a NAS to run your torrents. You can also go up in pricing and get something from Thecus or QNAP (I like the Thecus better) that will do it and they have real processors in them, like Celerons and Athlons but are still low on power usage.
  5. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Most QNAP units come with BT support.
  6. iosoft

Thanks Received:
    Frankly, I am looking for something cheap :p
  7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    cheap NAS = terrible NAS.

If you want low electricity cost, find yourself a really old PC, like a pentium 3. they're low power, and easy to maintain/tweak just they way you want them.
  8. iosoft

Thanks Received:

Hi Mussels, I found that this device works on PORT 9090.

Please, re-setup your device and test it again for me :)
    And see if you can pause-resume Torrent-Downloads ?
  9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    mine doesnt evne have pause or resume buttons, so its impossible for me to test it.
  10. HighEndToys

Thanks Received:
    You may have some luck if you look for an older unit on EBay. My Infrant ReadyNAS NV has this feature. Netgear bought out Infrant and released a bunch of new products which has driven the first ReadyNAS down quite a bit.
  11. iosoft

Thanks Received:
    :eek: :shadedshu

I stat looking for a PIII setup :cool:

What is your MODEL No ?
  12. HighEndToys

Thanks Received:
    It is just the Infrant ReadyNAS NV. They later came out with an NV+ and all kinds of other stuff.

Hell just type in readynas and search and see what you come up with.
  13. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    Torrentflux-b4rt is a great package for a *nix system. I've got an old Gentoo box as the standard LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) + Samba for the network file share.

TorrentFlux gives a great web interface and lets you configure the heck out of your downloads.

Very minimal system usage.
  14. HighEndToys

Thanks Received:
    Actually now that I started thinking about it, why are you messing with bit torrent at all?

Go over to Giganews.com and get the mid level package. Then use the discount they give you for Newsbin.com and that that (a one time fee). Finally go to Newzbin.com and subscribe to that for something like 25 cents a week. Your downloads will max out your cable modem and you don't upload anything.

Besides, most of the stuff on BT hits the newsgroups first.

If you are on Comcast you will want to call them and have your plan changed over to a business account since they just started the 250GB thing. Besiness accounts don't fall under this "service" and cost the same as regular accounts.

If I did have an acocunt like this, I don't but I have been told that if you do something like this and share it with like 3 or 4 of your closest homies you can all share the same account.
  15. mcloughj

Thanks Received:
    I have a qnap TS-209 II. Great bit of kit. works very well and it brilliant for streaming to my Xbox 360. the Bittorent plugin is decent but basic. Stretch the budget and get yourself a TS-109, you won't regret it.

got mine from here:
    http://myworld.ebay.com/mediasonicinc
  16. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    build a cheap AMD based PC
    you only need AMD Sempron, 1GB DDR2, 780G Chipset, 300W PSU
    and put a bunch of harddrives in it
    then meybe FreeNAS
  17. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    thats completely overkill, and a waste of money. A pentium 3 can handle it just fine.
  18. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    a AM2 based system is more fexiable, like if he has to RMA his main pc memory thats DDR2, so he can use his servers etc, the server can also be used as a game server etc, P3 is slow

where can people get P3s atm? hehe
  19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    a local expo near me sells working P4 systems (1.6-2.4GHz) (everything but optical drive and HDD) for $50 each month.
  20. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
  21. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    set up an atom box.
  22. HighEndToys

Thanks Received:
    WTF is up with the shoe advert?

The only way I would use a PIII for a file server was if it had a PCI 133 or PCI X slot so I could add a proper gigabit network port. That would put you in the realm of a dual socket PIII system which wouldn't be so bad but there are better options. Cheap EBay dual Opteron board maybe?
  23. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    You want something really low power...such as an Atom. Torrents do not need processing power. Just plenty of storage and a good internet line.

edit: http://www.adisasta.com/wmTorrent.html

^^^ Torrent from a PDA!!!
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  24. HighEndToys

Thanks Received:
    Maybe that is what you want. I want Quickpar monitoring downloads and fixing any crazy stuff that comes in as well as a strong anti-virus just in case I do something stupid. At the same time WinRAR setup to auto decompress incoming downloads.
  25. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    I think I'm the only one here who actually has a NAS with BitTorrent downloading.

Look at my Server setup. I never have slowdown, and it's a single core cpu (you can probably find something lower power.)

AMD 3200+
    1GB ECC memory
    ASUS A8N5X motherboard (gigabit ethernet & SATA)
    3x 640GB WD AAKS using RAID5 (but dont' do RAID when you set it up, use ZFS. You can set up ZFS to have the same benefits of RAID without the downside of read errors on a rebuild)

Use cpufreq to clock down the processor as much as possible. Get a PSU that isn't overpowered (powersupplies have their best efficiency when they're around 80% load. So don't stick a 600w powersupply in this, it's just going to use tons of power, even with an atom processor)

MoBlock is a package like PeerGuardian for *nix. It's a good thing.

The zip/unzip utilities will all be part of the normal *nix distro.

torrentflux-b4rt is the best torrent downloading package I've found. It's got a great web interface. It lets you choose between 4 or 5 different torrent programs to actually download the torrents based on the features you want.

What do you need antivirus for? The files are going to a *nix system. Any windows viruses won't work, and you can test the files with a antivirus on your windows box before you use them.