1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need suggestion regarding GPU!

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Basudeb, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Basudeb New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here is my situation:
    Want to play recent (and forthcoming) games with high settings in 1366x768.
    Current System:
    CPU: Intel Core2Duo E7500 (2.93Ghz)
    MOBO: Intel DG43NB (1066Mhz FSB, PCI Express 2.0)
    RAM: 2x2GB DDR2 (800Mhz) Dual Channel
    HDD: 500GB SATA (7200RPM)

I was planning to buy Nvidia GTX 650TI Boost 2GB, but is it a good idea? Will I be able to get the full performance out of it?
    If not then should I choose a low profile card than this (if that can fulfill my requirements)? I don't plan to change Mother Board or CPU, and don't think will get another GPU in another few years.

Please Help. Any suggestion will help and is appreciated. :respect:
    Thank you.

2. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    What PSU do you have? It may not support an added GPU.
    Also your system is slightly outdated, with ddr2 ram and all. Perhaps it would be more worthwhile to save your money and invest in an APU system? That would perform excellently at that resolution.

3. Basudeb New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a 450W Power Supply that came with this Case http://www.foxin.in/fc_5621.htm

4. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Not so sure it would be wise attaching a GPU to that PSU. You may want to consider reusing the case and Hard Drive and building a new system. If that is completely out of the question, I'd put a low power GPU in there, because a Non-rated PSU isnt going to support much and be stable. Usually a good bronze rated 550w PSU is required for a lower power GPU like a 650.

Again, I strongly recommend an APU system.

5. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    The GTX 650Ti is a good card, I would also recommend the 7790, 6850, 6870 as they perform about the same and are sometimes cheaper.

Overall your system should be fine, some games just hate older dual cores, expect a few titles to run like a dog no matter what. I would recommend getting more RAM as 4GB is proving to be borderline.

6. Basudeb New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you both for your suggestions.
    I will gather some extra money for a decent power supply (450W will be enough I think). And by then if there is no better option than GTX 650TI BOOST at this range then I will stick to GTX 650TI BOOST.
    and 4GB is Max for that MoBo :p
    Thanks again

7. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i thin the gtx 650ti will be massively bottlenecked by that CPU of yours. especially in cpu intensive games.

get a seasonic 400BT, and a 7790. for now. later you can upgrade to a cheap amd quad core system.

ps flipkart had the zotac 650ti on offer for 9600rs. dont know if they still have it. its a really good bargain.

else, i recently got a 7790 from chadni for 10500rs.

8. lawnmooer New Member

Thanks Received:
    How about a 7750? The power is supplied by the PCI-E slot. Then save the money on the PSU for now until you are ready to upgrade the entire machine. The 7750 should have enough muscle to run most games at reasonably high settings at that resolution.

9. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    fixed that for you :)

10. lawnmooer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I completely agree that a high quality PSU is ideal. However, I would be hesitant to sink additional money into a dated system. If the PSU is going to be replaced, I would look at a comparable quality 500 W model. It will give you more wiggle room if higher end components, overclocking, etc is desired later on.

11. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    New psu. doesnt have to be anything more than a 400-550watt with 80%+ rating. Also dont hesitate to browse the For Sale/Buy/trade/give away forums here. i built the rig in my system specs for about 270. all came from here, minus cpu+mobo from newegg for $100.
    Also, my cpu is a touch faster than an e8500, and i play all my games at max settings 1280x1024, max AF, 2-4x AA

12. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    I was recently given an old system similar to yours, reloaded Windows and it ran fine, until I installed my old GTX 550 Ti - it never booted again, apparently blew some capacitors on the motherboard, afterwards only had memory error beep code. Nothing wrong with the card, it works perfectly in another system. I think the old OEM motherboards can't handle the power draw of a modern video card through the PCIe slot. Maybe that old board was just ready to blow, who knows. I would be careful doing an upgrade like that, and definitely would replace the power supply, the ones that come with the case are almost always of the lowest quality.

13. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    ^THIS

that's rather strange to me, PCI-e has been around since 2004 and has always supplied 75watts for graphic cards, so i can't imagine it was some inadequate power problem. odd that it blew the mobo XD.

14. Basudeb New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks everyone.
    But.
    Well I cancelled that plan for now (due to price hike [devaluation against US Dollar]) :p
    And http://puu.sh/3xHLJ.mp4 this video shows hardware monitoring tab of my bios.
    And what I want to ask is whether this voltage fluctuation is normal or not?
    BTW I'm not buying any GPU without decent power supply, thanks to all yours suggestions.