1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need suggestions on cpu/gpu waterblocks

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by saxile, Apr 3, 2008.

1. saxile New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for reading first off, I'm going to be rebuilding my system soon and I'm going back to watercooling for this setup as I'm going to overclock it pretty heavy. I have an Iwaki dual-headed pump, model 2MD-15R, and a modded Ford F-350 trans-cooler for a radiator. New system is going to compose of the AMD 5000+ BE and a single (for now) ATI Radeon HD 3870 which will be volt modded. Which blocks should I use, been thinking currently either the D-Tek Fuzion or the Swiftech ones, but not sure on which I should go for that setup. Also I will be doing some fsb overclocking to overclock my ram should I throw in a better chipset cooler or will the stock heatpipe coolers be enough to do that. Sorry for sounding like a newbie, but been a while since I've done hardcore overclocking and been about 3 years since I've used watercooling setups so been out of the loop for a while, to much new tech for me to decide on all by my self, plus most of you peeps are pros at it :respect:. Also what would be the best way at looping this system, one pump to cpu other to gpu then connect and flow to rad? Thanks in advance all :toast:

2. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    first welcome to TPU!

id snag a Dtek fuzion with nozzles. if ya can, spend $50 on a swiftech 120.3 rad ;)

did you want to W/C the GFX? full cover block or GPU only?

loop order is not critical, best to use the shortest, straightest runs as possible in your setup

you might get a few extra FSB from using a chipset block

you should update you sys specs in userCP

:toast:

saxile says thanks.
  3. saxile New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply, with the video card I don't think they make any card coolers for it yet, not even uni-sinks, at least not that I can find. Also I have a dual pump so 2 pumps total, rad wise I think I should be ok, this thing is massive, currently 3 120's on it could fit a total of 8 on it, only thing I don't like about it is it's a single pass and not dual.

4. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    There are a few 3870 blocks out, where are you located? if in the uk look at these, or if in the us look here

saxile says thanks.
  5. saxile New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for that link, that thing is nice looking, but will it work with 1/2 barbs and does it perform well? Ram wise on the card doesn't get that hot with the volt mod just the volt regulators will fry eggs for you while you game. Currently running a duorb on it works good, just hits around 90c with heavy stress, furmark.

6. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    It will work with 1/2 barbs yes, and SHOULD cool the vrm's pretty well, though the vrm cooling part on ek blocks are removable too

7. saxile New Member

Thanks Received:
    I noticed on EK's site that it doesn't fit blue pcb sapphire cards, mine's green should be ok right?

8. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    Green?, not sure, the ek is for the reference design, so if your card is different in any way it probably wont fit

I found a nice high res pic of a ref design board, so have a good look and compare it to your card to see, it may simply be a different colour pcb
    http://www.ixbt.com/video3/images/rv670/hd3870-scan-front.jpg

9. saxile New Member

Thanks Received:
    will check when I get home, but yeah according yo their website their cooler won't fit the blue pcb shappires and none of the powercolor cards. When I bought this card it came with a crappy single slot alu cooler, idle stock temps were hitting 50-60c load was pushing 100c. Wouldn't even play a game till I stuck the duorb on it kept overheating with fan forced at 100. Good overclocker though, I temp volt modded it and hit 950mzh core and 1311mhz mem clock, stable, but poor little duorb can't keep up with the heat, was pushing 100c. Also according to gpuz I have one of the cards that doesn't say 3870 or 3850 just says 3800 series

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  10. saxile New Member

Thanks Received:
    can't view that website, give me 403 forbidden

edit: nm found it else where, and nope, don't think it'll work on mine, it is designed just like the sapphire blue pcb and it's different from the ref boards

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  11. saxile New Member

Thanks Received:
    seeing I can't use the full card cooler what would be the best gpu block cooler to stick on it the best passive cooling for the memory and active for vrms?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  12. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Take a look at this thread to see what other water cooling items to choose from.

Suggestions:
    Maze5 WB for your GPU
    Dtek Fuzion for your CPU
    D5 water pump
    9/16" ID 11/16" OD tubing (unless you want a smaller tubing)
    Either a Swiftech or Thermochill Rad
    Distilled Water
    Back Plate

Now you have to decide if you want to go with a T-line or Reservoir

13. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mcw60 or dtek gfx with some enzotech or swiftech ramsinks would do you well

14. saxile New Member

Thanks Received:
    how about for the vrm, as I stated I pretty much need some active cooling, I see they make water blocks for mb mosfets, would any mount and work on the hd3870 mosfets even if it's thru artic silver epoxy. When volt modded and stressed they hit extremely high temps and I wouldn't think that would be healthy for the card plus make it crash.

15. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    Shouldn't be a problem as long as you got a fan blowing across the RAMsinks

16. saxile New Member

Thanks Received:
    fan won't be a problem, case I'm getting has a 220 in the front and a 320 on the side, but what do you think about modding or epoxying a mosfet cooler on the card?

17. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
  18. saxile New Member

Thanks Received:
    have enzotech copper mosfet sinks on the vrms right now with a 120 blowing straight across them, when I had the core a 1.5v instead of 1.3ish if you touched the sinks you would have blisters in the shape of the pins on your fingers, get way to hot for my liking yanno. While I have just alu heatsinks (ones the come with duorb, very cheap) on the ram and they stay cold, so ram chips aren't an issue with the card it's the core and vrm that I have probems with. Gonna prolly go with d-tek fuzion on the gpu core so that problem is solved, just gotta take care of those 8 little fireballs.

19. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    if thats the case why dont you recycle an old p3 CPU hsf and fit it on there?

20. saxile New Member

Thanks Received:
    might work, but three problems with that, don't have one as I haven't used intel since p1 days and never will again (long story), two if I buy one to mod why not go all out and just watercool it, should work better correct? And third if I used a larger one wouldn't that be quite a bit of weight on the back of the card plus hinder using xfire when I switch to it? Don't take any of this the wrong way, I really thank you for all the suggestions as they are helping me in narrow down my choices. Like I said, I'm not a total newbie at watercooling, just way behind in tech, last system I watercooled was my amd xp 1400. Again not trying to insult you just telling you how long I've been out of the loop, I still have that old rig too, good ol' black ice rad, just came out when I used it, with one of the innovatech (if I remember correctly) blocks. Good ol' days they were, just use some super-glue and a rear window defogger repair kit to unlock the multi on em.

21. saxile New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also, another thing I would like for someone to take a look at is one way I was thinking about looping this thing, pump 2 would pump the water from res 1 to cpu to gpu then to res 2, pump 1 would take the hot water from res 2 and pump it to rad then back to res 1. Any suggestions on this intel igent or anyone else for that matter? Think that would work or should I loop it different, never used a dual pump setup as old system didn't warrent it, just a single 80mm rad, single waterblock, and a pump/res combo

Attached Files: