1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need to Clean Water Block

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by PopcornMachine, Oct 9, 2011.

1. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    I'm starting to redo my system, and started out by removing everything.

As you can see, there appears to be something growing in gpu water block and wondering what the best way to treat it is.

I have a silver coil in my reservoir, but that doesn't seem to have helped. So this probably is also hapening to my cpu block.

Or, am I wrong and there is something else going on there on the middle of it?

Thanks.

[​IMG]
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like copper particles. It's perfectly normal. Take the block apart, wipe it down. :)
    PopcornMachine says thanks.
  3. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    Wasn't there a big todo a few months ago with EK nickel plated waterblocks? Something about the Nickel plating wearing off because the nickel couldn't adhere to the sub-par copper?

Iirc, wasn't EK's fault but their supplier of copper. I wouldn't worry about it too much aside from the unsightly look to a normally nice finish. Might want to check and clean out your pump for any residue if you can.

Good luck
  4. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but that doesn't look like the nickel has worn off. Most likely particles from the radiator.
  5. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info guys. Wasn't sure it was algae, since it was in just a specific area.

I would like to clean it, but I've heard it can be very difficult getting that gasket back in there if you take the block apart.

Still pretty much a rookie when it comes to these things. So I'll probably just leave it be if it's not hurting anything.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  6. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    try vinegar solution pump it through the loop a few times then drain it and rinse it with distilled water a few times to get the vinegar out if its something growing the vinegar will kill it and should clean the inside if it dosent clean it away then its as erocker says and its just copper particles eitherway just douche the loop and call it a day,
  7. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Vinegar is bad for nickel.
  8. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    well there ya go that ideas out then. oh well glad im on air cooling haha compressed air for the win
  9. Candice New Member

Thanks Received:
    But I’ve tried using vinegar in nickel plating. I’ve soaked the nickel overnight in a water and vinegar mixture. Well, that’s a water and vinegar solution that is in the 4:1 ratio, this means. For every one part vinegar, you add four parts water.

brule graisse
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  10. Feänor

Feänor New Member

Thanks Received:
    You could try coca-cola. Did an awesome job on my four copper blocks: one night, and they came out like if they were polished. It would be wise to check if nickel reacts to the phosphoric acid (there's a little in the pepsi, that's what's cleaning the metal) the same way copper do.
  11. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    IDK about nickel but an old trick with copper at least is to remove grime with ketchup and a toothbrush it's apparently a good pH.
  12. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    cpu blocks are most often victims of unflushed radiators due to their tight jets. I just brush it with detergent. Takes several minutes of brushing though.. gets the job done however.