1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need to find secondary/supplementary PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dabode, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Dabode New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm in need of an additional power supply for my system, and was wondering if there is anything out there that will fit my needs. Right now I have an Enermax Galaxy 1250w PSU which does a good job, but I'm going to be adding water cooling, and I want something to power the water pump/s and accessories. I should be fine using the Enermax to power my 3 GTX480's, motherboard, and CPU, but I would like a second power supply to power all my fans, drives, LED lighting, and water cooling. I've found some supplementary PSU's, but they pretty much all just provide extra VGA power, and that's not what I need. I know I can just get a second primary power supply and wire the two together, but then I'll have an extra 24-pin harness to hide and possibly VGA harness, when all I really need is a bunch of 4-pin molex's. Do they even make such a thing? Or am I stuck just stuffing in a second primary PSU?

2. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    maybe get a fully modular psu?

3. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    are you worried about the 1st PSU not giving enough power? or do you just need more molex connectors?

you can buy molex double adaptors and such... ebay will have them.

if your worried about power... then buy one of those PSU's that give out extra 6-8 pins for your GFX cards, will reduce the load from PSU 1... then you can connect the water cooling to psu 1.

it is not wise to run water cooling on a secondary PSU... if the 2nd psu dies or isnt turned on your PC will overheat and may die... it has happend to someone on here before.

4. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Frozen cpu as well. They also have SATA power to molex as well

5. Dabode New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, I have plenty of molex connectors that I can plug into the PSU, I just want to alleviate some of the load on this PSU because the GTX480's are so power hungry. The supplementary PSU's I've found are also not enough to power the GTX480's. I may also run the water pump on PSU1, but I at least want to run the fans, drives and lights off of a second PSU.

6. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Replace the Enermax 1250W with a SilverStone Strider 1500W power supply?

7. Dabode New Member

Thanks Received:
    Where the F*** was that thing when I was looking around for PSU's? I bought the largest one I could find at the time. Never even seen that one before. Well, that certainly is one viable option. Anyone want to buy a slightly used Enermax Galaxy?