1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need to guess motherboard model and manufacturer (56K Warning)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Black Panther, May 7, 2008.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't resize the photo in the hope that it helps anyone help me.
    I want to know the make and model in the hope of finding a manual online... Mainly because I need to plug in the CD drive and everything is so cramped I can't find the connections.

There appears to be nothing written on it, what I noticed was underneath the southbridge there is PIIX4.

[​IMG]

So, pc specs:

Intel Celeron 333Mhz (Slot 1 I guess?)
    RAM is 128MB. Actually it's got a 512MB stick but it recognises only 128MB. The RAM is PC133 SDRAM.
    It's got 2 DIMM slots for RAM.

The motherboard is very small, note at the top of the photo that the CPU doesn't fit normally, it's like attached to a card which is then fitted into a slot which resembles an ISA slot...

It's also got 1 AGP slot (dunno the speed, probably x1 or x2?)
    4 PCI slots,
    2 ISA slots.

Another thing, the mouse and keyboard connections are of the old type - the mouse is a serial port I think, and the keyboard is like a PS2 but somewhat larger.

Maybe the chipset numbers here could help:
    [​IMG]

Anyone has a clue?
  2. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    soltek SL-62C ?
    Black Panther says thanks.
  3. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    If all you need is to plug in a CD drive, IDE2 is above the currently connected IDE channel, and is currently empty (grey rectangle). Its to the right of the memory.

I'll google around and see if I can find you a manual.

:toast:
  5. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    download belarc advisor - that will tell you make of the board and model number. as well as everything else in your computer. Nifty little tool it is
  6. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    You're right! I never heard of it, and didn't imagine it would be on a peelable sticker either, so I ruled out what the stickers said!

Namslas and WhiteLotus, I have SIW, but the thing is I don't have a floppy drive on my rig, and on the celeron I have still got to connect the cd rom and can't get the USB's at the back to work, so I have no way to get any programs from one pc to the other right now! :laugh:
  7. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Mediocre, it's the other 4-pin wire coming out of the ODD which I can't find the mobo connection...
    Also, the IDE do I have to plug it in with red stripe up or red stripe down? It fits both ways (got no blank spot).
  8. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    You have a soltek SL-62C. In your pic there is a blue label which has the telltale ID.

See this link for more info <Here>

When you get to the webpage it's about 3/4 of the way down...

62C, damn eyes!
    Last edited: May 7, 2008
  9. sorehammer New Member

Thanks Received:
    you don't need the four wire audio connector as for the red stripe try it one way no joy turn the cable on the motherboard round but leave the cable on the cd rom and that should work and also check that the ide port is enabled in the bios.
  10. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Some more questions please.. :eek:

- Is there a way to get a USB memory stick (flash drive) to work on this pc?
    - Driver for the sound card?
    - It's got a 56K internal modem (no onboard) does that mean I can't use broadband on it? (Sounds far-fetched to use USB at the moment).
    - Can I replace the Nvidia Vanta 16MB with Nvidia FX5500 256MB (AGP as well) I know it's overkill on a 333Mhz proc, but better than leaving it in another dead pc... Or is the pc too old for it?

Thanks! :respect:

Btw, it's got Windows 98... and I got no Win98 disk...
  11. sorehammer New Member

Thanks Received:
    if you have a usb port you can use a flash disk if no usb port slap in a pci usb card.
    the on board modem can be ignored most broadband modems run of usb or Ethernet ports.
    and you should be able to change the graphics card you said.
    try www.driverguide.com for the sound drivers they tend to have a lot of absolute drivers if it's still live haven't been for a while.
  12. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    It has a pci usb card.
    When I insert a usb disk I get the message "New hardware found - disk" and tells me that it needs a driver for 'disk'... :confused: The pci usb card is working well in the device manager...
  13. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Google card name and "USB Driver"...windows should have one, you probably got to download it though....hope you got better than dial-up on that thing.

Try having Windows search the Windows CD for the driver needed.
  14. FelipeV

FelipeV New Member

Thanks Received:
    - Flash drives don´t work under win98, but, if you manage to install 256 or 512mb it will be able to run XP, I have a P3 500, P3B-F (440BX) with 320mb just for downloads, torrents and other big files, this MB should be able to use 512MB, but you need to find single sided modules, its not a fast machine, but just for downloading 24/7 it works. And you can disable a lot of XP features that consume a lot of memory and keep it light, don´t expect to run Crysis after all.

- I believe its a Cmedia, maybe 7012 or 8332, common from Cretaceous era.

- It means you cant access this topic (56k warning) :roll:

- this MB use agp 3.5V and not 1.5V. FX wont work, probably wont even fit in the slot.

About the USB, You can use a USB printer, web cam, digital cam because they have drivers for it (win98), but no flashdrive suport.
  15. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    The sound card is an Ectiva MachOne EV1935 V1.0
    [​IMG]

I did manage to find the correct Win95/98 driver online, from here.

However, it doesn't find the driver, and when I try to install it manually I get a warning that it isn't correct, and if I persist it doesn't work... :ohwell:

It's silly how I love to get old pc's working, I got this pc free because it was thrown away - when I got it working the excitement I felt was like I gave life to Frankenstein... :slap::laugh:

About installing XP, I dunno. I had put in a 512MB RAM (reduced CAS latency to 2) yet it picks up only 128MB.

About the ODD, the original was dead and jammed. I took one from another dead pc and it works fine (dvd-rw!). Haven't tried writing with it though. :)
  16. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    cpu-z? heh

When I didn't know the model of my old Intel motherboard I looked near the cpu socket.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Spud found me the mobo name in the 2nd post here. ;)

The problem I have now is getting this old thing recognise MachOne drivers for its MachOne sound card... :laugh: (mobo doesn't have onboard sound).

I also wonder if this monster :rolleyes: is better than the Vanta... :laugh:
    Last edited: May 8, 2008
  18. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Use it for target practice after you get everything you need out of it. :D

Its pretty fun if you have ever done it. :)

Or does your country not allow citizens to have firearms?:confused:
  19. FelipeV

FelipeV New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do a lot of that in my work and if the PC is capable of runing XP even at slow motion I will install it, people come here with this kind of PC and they want, pendrives, webcam, usb printer, msn, skype and all this new stuff thas is very annoying to get it working in Win98, so XP is the solution.

About the ram, its not related to latency, its more about the amount os chips (density?) in the module, normaly the ones that are single sided works with 256 or 512mb depending on MB type and manufacturer. I try to get modules with less amount os chips possible, 4 of them for 256 and 8 for 512, sometimes I get lucky and receive with micro bga modules, this ones usually works without a problem.
    [​IMG]
  20. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Recent popularity of USB Flash Drives has generated enough intrest for the development of Windows 98 USB Mass Storage Device Drivers.

See here(one of many examples);

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php
  21. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Hey... that worrrkkked! :rockout: Pendrive works on Windows 98! I bid farewell to continuous burning on re-writable cd-rom now! Thank you Namslas90!

I'm tempted now to exchange this pc with one which one of my clerks at work uses... He uses it only for data input in excel and word. My dad gave me the go-ahead provided I could get the pendrive to work.

This old celeron is being now used by my daughter. I already put some games I remember playing 10 years ago (tyrian, jill of the jungle etc) for her. And it's so nostalgic I ended up playing them myself.:eek:

If I exchange it with the work pc she'd be getting an Athlon 1.5Ghz (?) 512MB RAM and FX5500 using XP. But now silly me kinda :eek: got attached to the old pc... and my 5-year old doesn't mind playing old games:p

I'm not eager to install XP on it.
    At 333Mhz proc and 128MB RAM Win98 loads just as fast as XP does on my 3.0Ghz proc and 2GB RAM rig... Heaven knows how XP will work on it! :laugh: