1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need to RMA board/CPU. What to expect from newegg?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Wartz, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Wartz New Member

Thanks Received:
    What should I expect from newegg? Is there anything specific I should write in the description box that might help my chances of getting replacements?

Story behind it
    I popped my motherboard (definitely) and my x4 940 CPU (maybe) trying for a screenshot of 4.2ghz (265*16, 1.6vcore). I had overvolted the HT link and NB as well. I tested a 4400+ in the board and it does not post, but it works fine in my brothers AM2 board. I can't test the phenom though because that other AM2 board doesn't have a BIOS update to support phenoms.

2. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Newegg is really good about returns, unless it's obvious to them that the user abused the hardware. The board you should have no problem with at all. The cpu I'm not sure about, then again it's rare to see a dead cpu. Honestly, it's not likely the 940 is dead. I would just RMA the board.

Wartz says thanks.
  3. Wartz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Should I inform them of my overclocking it? Or just say that it died, in so many words.

4. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I would just keep that info to myself unless the specifically ask you about it.. ;)

5. Wartz New Member

Thanks Received:
    RMA sent off, thank you all. :)

6. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you send the cpu also?

7. Wartz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope, I took your word for it and just RMA'd the board.

(haven't actually mailed it yet, but its packed up and the RMA ID printed out and taped onto the box)

Hopefully you're right about the CPU being fine!

8. Baer New Member

Thanks Received:
    My experiences with New Egg have always been excellent. I have only had to return a very few items but they were always helpful and provided good service.

9. Wartz New Member

Thanks Received:
    *bumps*

I got my motherboard back, and while the system boots up and runs now, I get a BSOD when the CPU is under a little stress.

"a clock interrupt was not received within the allocated time interval"

stop 0x00000101

swapping in a HD4670 and different ram does not seem to fix it, so I think one of the cores on the CPU is failing.

:banghead:

I am going to try reinstalling the OS, but I think it might be time for another RMA

Edit: I just noticed something interesting. My BIOS is claiming that the CPU is only getting 1.18vcore.

Edit2: Apparently the board's default BIOS settings are screwed. Once I manually set voltage, stress testing seems to be fine.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009