• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need you opinion on External Drive

Hello good people of TP. Today bought new drive for storage needs - Seagate Backup Plus STDT2000200 2GB.
Inside - ST2000DM001-1E6164. As always, first thing i do - testing. Started with SeaTools everything good except short generic test. It failed the test. There was something written about bad sectors etc. So i did surface test with HDDScan v3.3 - it's fine. Not a single bad sector in read mode. S.M.A.R.T is good too

So i'm thinking maybe current version of Seatools which is 1 year old is not compatible with this firmware which is new so it gives false positive because it can't start random sector scan (yeah, it's stop when it reaches random sector scan). There is newer version of tool - release candidate, but unfortunately it's still raw - it doesn't detect any drives at all, so can't use it yet.

I know it's not the best drive, but needed budget storage HDD asap so went with this drive.

So what do you think? I need your opinions about this thing to calm my paranoia or make it worse :D

UPDATE!

Got release candidate version to work. All test passed. Looks like it was

maybe current version of Seatools which is 1 year old is not compatible with this firmware which is new

Last edited:

SuperSoph_WD

WD Rep
Hey there, @Saidrex!

Seems like you resolved the troubles with your external.
A good way to keep the paranoia away and feel safe with your storage solutions is multiple backups, preferably on different locations. (meaning using different types of storage solutions)
I personally do backups on external HDDs + cloud + DVDs, because I suffered the consequences of not backing up once and I lost half of my music collection. So better be safe than sorry! :D

Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
For future reference, carefully check reliability feedback before you buy an external HDD. It's common that just as with inexpensive laptops, they put low speed, low quality, low reliability HDDs in them. It's a component that is known for convenience over durability to hit an internal competetive price point.