1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Needing help! Vista cannot find HDD during new installation

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Scram, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Scram New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi there all.. I just recently bought parts for a computer and assembled it today.. I have it put together but now when I go to install the OS (Vista 32bit) it will not find the HDD. The BIOS can find the HDD with out a problem.. It's connected by SATA..

Here are my specs from the build:

Case
    Motherboard
    8800GT Video Card
    Power Supply/Fan
    2.4ghz Quad Processor
    CPU Fan
    2gb RAM
    Floppy Drive
    500 GB Hard Drive
    Sony DVD+-R Lightscribe Optical Drive
    Vista 32-bit Home

Here are some photos of the current BIOS settings..
    Click here

And here are the photos of the Vista setup that goes wrong
    See me

I have already tried plugging in the SATA to different spots on the Motherboard (there is a total of 4) and it still hasn't worked.. The HDD is OEM and did not come with any drivers or CDs, and the manufacturer's website says there is none.

An interesting message comes up if I hit C:\ when in the Vista instillation where it asks me to browse to the driver and click okay.. see photos below:
    picture 1
    picture 2

Anyone have any idea what is going on, or how I can fix this? I really need help!

Thanks a ton for any replies!
    -Scram :toast:

2. Dop3KinG New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi you need sata drivers from your motherboard makers website or from the motherboard instalation cd.just put them on a floppy or flashdrive and install them in vista setup
    just click on load driver in vista setup and browse to wher you have the drivers eg floppy or flash drive

3. tofu

tofu New Member

Thanks Received:
    There should not be a need to install drivers for your motherboard in order to recognize your hard drives unless you are installing on a RAID partition. Since your running on a single hard drive, my bet would be either that your hard drive is a dud or theres some conflict between the two SATA devices (your hard drive and your dvd).

Scram says thanks.
  4. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try XP or 2000 to see if they pick it up.

5. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    no its an intel chipset, you need to put the SATA drivers on a floopy, this isnt IDE anymore kids

6. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking it is one of these two things as well. I'm sort of leaning towards the hard drive not working correctly though. Hopefully my new seagate 320gb won't have this problem, cause I just RMA'd my mobo and have to wait for that. Good luck.

7. Scram New Member

Thanks Received:
    If the HDD is bad, wouldn't the BIOS not be able to recognize it? Because it is reading it fine, with 500gigs free..

Any idea why Vista would display "You need to format the disk in drive C: before you can use it .. Do you want to format it?" and if I hit Format it says "Windows can't format C:\ ..Check to see that the disk and drive are connected properly, make sure that the disk is not read-only, and then try again. For more information, search Help for read-only files and how to change them."

That happens when I try searching C: for any drivers when Vista tries to install..

8. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I know I had to load RAID Drivers to Vista would recognize my RAID 0 Array, but never for single HD. If anything you should have the drivers on a CD you MB came with or something, then you just have to load the Driver from the CD.

Scram says thanks.
  9. Scram New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's no specific spot for the drivers on the CD.. I have tried almost every file I could find off the CD and still nothing..

10. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    hmmm it should be there.... If not try searching the web for it.

11. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    That seems like a very odd problem. I have no idea why it would show you having a hard drive in the BIOS but then for the vista install it won't show it to you. Anything that appears in the bios should appear at this step. Anyway you can try a different hard drive, or is that the only one you have around?

Scram says thanks.
  12. Scram New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's the only one..

I have my laptop, and the old computer that failed.. but that has no good parts that I could use on this..

What should I be searching the web for? I tried this at the gigabyte website
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2629
    But there are no SATA drivers

The HDD's mfr website says I need a controller device driver for the Motherboard in it's FAQs.. What the heck is that and where do I get it?

13. Scram New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have noticed a beeping noise at startup and found in the manual where it talks about the beeps.. This could be apart of the problem..

When I start up it gives a long beep with a short beep in the middle...

This is what the manual lists..
    1 short: system boots successfully
    2 short: CMOS setting error
    1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
    1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
    1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
    1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
    Continuous long beeps" Graphics card not inserted properly
    Continuous short beeps" Power Error

So.. could it be a Memory or Motherboard error?.. What could the motherboard error be? Because the memory is fine and it reads that it is all there..

14. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:

Found this searching google, a little more information but still doesn't get the answer I was looking for:
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=618213&pid=589192896&st=0&#entry589192896

Are you sure its a motherboard beep? There can be beeps from stuff powering up, but if you are sure its a motherboard beep then you are having a little more serious problem then Vista not finding the HDD. Most likely its just the successful powering up beep that you are supposed to hear. I just RMA'd my brand new motherboard so it wouldn't surprise me, but I don't think thats the issue here.

Scram says thanks.
  15. Scram New Member

Thanks Received:
    So it looks like I have to buy XP just to install Vista? What the hell?.. lol..

I will try putting the driver CD onto a flash drive and see if it works that way..

The HDD wouldn't be DOA would it? I mean the BIOS reads it still... so it's good right?

And yeah I am sure it's a motherboard beep.. The very first time I started it it beeped once, then I kept getting the long beep with a short sharper one in the middle..

I have the case open and am checking all of the connections again

16. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    That's a really odd situation. I'm pretty sure the HDD isn't bad since the BIOS is reading it, otherwise I would think it needs to be RMA'd. Try to get those drivers in there somehow, I'm thinking thats the way out. It's going to be a pain to RMA the hard drive if thats not neccessarily the problem. And the motherboard beep worries me, hopefully thats still just the okay beep and its trying to be a little different.

Scram says thanks.
  17. Scram New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am trying to use Vista's installation CD's Command Prompt to format the drive C... I am waiting for it to complete..

I know it knows it's there, because the command prompt is working on formating it .. the type of the file system is RAW and is becoming NTFS.. so hopefully this is what was causing the problem

If not, I am lost and don't know what else to do..

18. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:

Any update? :)

Scram says thanks.
  19. Scram New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's still reformating. it has another 10 or so minutes.. ahh! Hopefully it works :-\

20. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    If that doesn't work, did you try the Intel chipset drivers? I've never seen them be needed at setup, but you never know.

21. Scram New Member

Thanks Received:
    it still didn't work.. good news is that it doesn't tell me I need to format C:/ .. :p

Where do I get the intel chipset drivers?..

What is going on with this! ahhh!

I've looked around the net and some people have had this issue and resolved it by installing XP and then Vista..
    Problem is I don't have XP.. Anyone know where or who I can contact to get it so I can install it and then use it to boot Vista?.. I don't want to fork over money again just to get Vista installed...

22. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
  23. Scram New Member

Thanks Received:
    K, trying this right now..

24. Scram New Member

Thanks Received:
    Still nothing.. Man this is ticking me off...

Does anyone else have any idea, or suggestions??

Which company tech support should I call? Would this be Microsoft, Seagate, or Gigabyte's issue?... =( This is really making my first build a crappy one, haha!

Thank you all for your help thus far, ;X

25. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Man, I'm stumped now. Lets do something off the wall. Check/change your SATA cable. Try a different SATA port. If those don't work, try the longshot, and put your hard drive in AHCI or RAID mode.

Scram says thanks.