• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nehalem Clocks and "Turbo Mode"

virtualrain

I recently blogged the following article and I'm interested in your opinion...

A big question on everyone's mind is what CPU frequency will intial Nehalem parts be clocked at and what overclocking head room might exist?

Although a demo machine was recently reported to be running Nehalem at 3.2GHz, we can't be positive based on the evidence provided that this early sample was, in fact, running at that speed. However, it's not unreasonable for Bloomfield to launch at 3GHz speeds given that Penryn's highest binned parts are shipping at 3.2GHz. This is supported, in part, by the fact that Nehalem's 731 million transistors compares favorably to Penryn's 820 million (both at 45nm).

It seems plausible that Nehalem should theoretically clock just as well as Penryn at the same Thermal Design Power (TDP) with the same cooling solution. The big unknown is what effect the onboard Memory Controller Hub (MCH) will have on clock speed limitations.

Another intersting aspect to Nehalem is the reports of a "Turbo Mode". While published details are hard to come by, this dynamic core clocking capability is illustrated in the slide below (courtesy of HKEPC). It appears to be an extension of the Performance States of the Adavanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) specification also know as SpeedStep technology (P-States). It suggests that when load allows one or more cores to be throttled down into a low frequency mode (LFM) the remaining active loaded cores can actually be overclocked to higher than default clock frequencies as long as the default TDP is not exceeded.

(source: HKEPC)

While this is an exciting development, unfortunately it raises more questions than it answers.... for example, it's not clear if this feature will work with overclocked chips or only those running at default clocks and multipliers. It's also not clear what events or conditions trigger the LFM for the unutilized cores and similarly what events or conditions trigger the overclocked P-states of the active cores. Finally, there's no insight into how much control the BIOS, OS, or end-user will have over this capability.

We can only hope that Nehalem's Turbo Mode follows the current SpeedStep implementation which can be managed at both the BIOS and/or Operating System level to allow modifying the multiplier in response to CPU loads. That is, if one overclocks their reference clock from default, this feature will ideally manage core clocks by adjusting the multi's up or down as load dictates thus allowing overclockers to benefit from this feature as much as factory clocked systems.

If this feature does support overclocking, it will add another dimension to stability testing as a stable operating point for all 4 cores will also have to consider the "Turbo Mode" state.

Needless to say, the benefits of this kind of dynamic overclocking with balanced performance on multiple cores for multi-threaded apps while also offering maximum clock speed on single-threaded programs, all with the same cooling solution, effectively ensures one can "have their cake and eat it too"!

Thoughts?

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Turbo mode huh... we're going back to the old days. OMGTURBOBUTTON!!1!!111!!1!!One!1uno!!o11

ex_reven

Turbo mode huh... we're going back to the old days. OMGTURBOBUTTON!!1!!111!!1!!One!1uno!!o11

This is different tho lol.
It clocks back some cores to clock forward others.

In the old days it clocked back the entire cpu fsb.
I remember playing with that button all day and wondering why it never made a difference to my old win95 games lol.

Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I remember playing with that button all day and wondering why it never made a difference to my old win95 games lol.

I know exactly how you felt haha, I had a computer exactly like that, turbo button and all :cool:

MadCow

Processor Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @2.6 GHz
Motherboard DFI LanParty UT CFX3200
Cooling 120mm Yate Loon fan intake, 82mm ex-PSU fan exhaust
Memory 2048 mb. of cheap DDR400 RAM w/cheap heatspreaders
Video Card(s) Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO, Crossfired@635/709
Storage WD 250 GB SATA
Display(s) Samsung 216BW
Case No-name ATX case (modded to hell)
Audio Device(s) SB X-FI OEM
Power Supply Nikao Cool Power 500W (34a@12v)
Software Windows XP PRO SP2
God I miss that turbo button, I wish modern computer had that, it was just so cool. Although I never turned it off. :p

System Name Not named
Processor Intel 8700k @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Assassin II
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) Zotac 1080 Ti AMP EXTREME
Storage Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) 24" Dell IPS 1920x1200
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Watt Fully Modular
My old 286 was a pro overclocker. At the push of the turbo button went from a moderate 8mhz to a blistering 12. 50% baby ;)