1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

net keeps dropping, not on wireless tho :|

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by choppy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    ive got this problem, where the net keeps disconnecting every now n then, abt 5 times a day. Yesterday, trying to troubleshoot, i got rid of the ISP modem and connected a Netgear dg834, put the ethernet wire in, but i couldnt even connect to the router, never mind the net. Put the ISP modem in and eveythings fine :| but the prob persists. but on my brothers lappy, the net works fine no issues. could the cable connecting pc to router be faulty? but why connect to one router and not the other? im stumped :|

2. aharvey

aharvey New Member

Thanks Received:
    It could be your Network Interface Card (NIC) dropping packets, or just plain not working the way it should. Try replacing your NIC and see if this solves the issue. The fact that your brothers laptop isnt having issues kind of rules out your modem being the issue.

3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Also to add, try reinstalling drivers first before replacing altogether.

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    update drivers on the network card.

also try a PCI or PCI-E network card to see if the problems hardware or software. One possible problem is dust/dirt in the ethernet port thats causing poor contact or shorting.

5. lukepl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try setting your ip and dhcp settings manually. I used to have similar problems when I first booted up and tryed connecting to the internet. Now I have all my laptops and PCs IP setting configured manually and no probs.