1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Netbook: best bang for the buck.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cold Storm, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to be going on Vacation in a few weeks.. I've been looking at getting a netbook for some time so I can have for whenever I travel, or just to take to work and use since I do a lot of computer based business apps.. I'm not looking in to a notebook since All the apps I'd be doing is MS office Excel, word, Internet ordering browsing, and some watching of my favorite animes..

So, with that in mind, I have been looking for some time threw netbooks and think that I have found the one I want for myself.

Acer Aspire One A0751h

But, don't know if it's the "best bang for the buck" on what I want to spend.

I don't want to spend more then $400 on a netbook, since I need to throw some more cash for the trip it self.

Thanks for the help.

OBTW, if you guys think that the one that I have linked is good enough for what I want... Know of anyway to get free shipping? ;)

2. YinYang.ERROR

YinYang.ERROR New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that should be fine. Is a Atom cpu better or worst than a Pentium dual core?

3. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Well, to just do a little browsing of the web, and maybe watching a flick or two, I don't see the point in even thinking of getting a "dual core" style set up.. IMHO.

4. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    Cold Storm says thanks.
  5. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Pentium Dual Core (e2xx, e5xx, etc) are much faster than Atom processors, even their dual core equivalents. No free lunch, the extra batt life on netbooks w/ Atoms are given at the cost of performance.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    Two days ago I bought the Samsung NC10 and I love it. I upgraded to 2gb RAM but to be honest I haven't noticed that much of a difference.
    I got it for the size of the screen, 4hour + battery life, blue tooth and nice big keyboard. It is at a good price also. It is said to be one of the fastest notebook out and boot up times are fast aswell.

Cold Storm says thanks.
  7. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Cold Storm says thanks.
  8. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    The system looks good.. just that I'd have to, want to, upgrade the ram right from the start...

What's the benefits to have this over the one I've linked? The "n" wifi, bluetooth from the get go?

Also going to anyone else that has said one to look at.. I can get the one I linked for 360 shipped overnight...

9. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    avoid acer their service sux they scratched the crap out of my 5920 had to send it back and got it back broken damn near in half, on the othere hand I have 2 eeepcs and have never had a problem 1000h is 270 at target 1 gig 160 hdd xp only 1 mim so you give the 1 gig to a buddy and stick 2 gig in it. my old 701 runs full version of ubuntu linux on its tiny 4 gig ssd but has 1.6 left over with everything installed including the gimp and open office which runs with ms 2007 so if you like that flavor. Asus again I say Asus.

Cold Storm says thanks.
  10. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Yes, two gigs of RAM are a wise choice to make. Oh, the Eee comes with XP, thats a plus lol.
    And the keyboard is amongst the best on a mobile computer I have ever laid my hands on.

Cold Storm says thanks.
  11. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Cold Storm says thanks.
  12. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
  13. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    I think the key things you should look for is battery life and harddrive space, because they more or less all come with 1gb RAM and you will probably upgrade that anyway.
    They all come with the N70 chipset, accept some that come with the N80 but there is only .06Ghz difference with a slightly larger FSB.
    Also keyboard layout, the Asus, Samsung and Dells normally have a 95% keyboard on them and it is a very nice size. I would just watch it about the batter life though (although it may not be an issue with you) but most notebooks come with a 3 cell battery and it is all flush with the way the notebook it built but when you add a 6 cell battery to that (or it comes with one) most stick out the back or raise the notebook up from the base. But with a 6 cell battery you are looking around 5-7+ hours of life.
    Personally I would go with a Asus or the Samsung (because I have it XD)
    Finally, did you read about Nokia's new notebook they are bringing out? they made a video about the prototype and said they were going to announce more about it on September 1st, I don't know about the price though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90XQLSEVKs0

Cold Storm says thanks.
  14. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:

The Nokia would be a great notebook! I know when Wile E, and I where talking, he was waiting on the hdmi version before he went off and bought anything.. So, I'll be shooting him a pm with that info. Thanks.

To me, I would love to get it, but don't have time to wait in some since. I go on vacation in about a week and want to have it for when I'm out and about..

I'm almost just going to go with a laptop now. Newegg has one for a reasonable price, and well, battery life isn't that great of a thing, but I don't need to grab a external dvd drive.. So, cost is lowered...

But, it really all depends on the amount in the bank so to say..

15. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    The nokia netbook is close to what I want, but with HDMI, it needs either a dual core Atom, or ION to make use of my 1080p TV.

As far as all the thing mentioned in this thread, I like the Acer you linked the best, mostly because of the screen and slightly larger, yet still very small size. Should make the keyboard a little roomier, and screen more readable.

Cold Storm says thanks.
  16. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
  17. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it was a hurtful thing to see the price like it did...

I do want to thank you all for your help but I couldn't just pass up this deal on a laptop... Wish I could of went netbook, but some other time I guess.