1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Network Adaptor Randomly Died

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Jimmy 2004, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This one’s got me confused – it isn’t so much a problem in itself (I’m just using a PCI card instead) but I just don’t understand why it’s happened. I use the rig you can see in my system specs, and it’s completely stable, no issues whatsoever. Last night when I turned it off, everything was working fine, including the internet.

However, when I turned it on this morning my network adaptor just seemed to have died... Windows still recognises it’s there, it knows whether or not there’s a cable plugged in and it acts as though everything is connected fine, but I can’t do anything with the network. No pings, no websites, no file sharing – nothing at all! This is the network adaptor built into my motherboard (NVIDIA one – nForce 3 chipset, so whatever adaptor NVIDIA bundles with that), and I’ve installed a PCI card instead which is working fine.

So any ideas what’s happened? I’ve tried rebooting, re-installing the drivers, static and dynamic IP addresses (although the latter doesn’t work), using a different cable, restarting the router, using a crossover cable to connect directly to another PC ect. and nothing seems to work. I’m completely puzzled by this as I can’t find any explanation for what’s gone wrong. The PC is on a surge protector and get’s turned off at the wall each night and every other PC on the network is fine. Just seems quite strange that it still acts as though it’s working but for all intents and purposes is completely dead.
  2. Azazel

Azazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    are you with aol, thay have been having trouble with the inteernet today
    Jimmy 2004 says thanks.
  3. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Mine did that - an old sempy rig. I think it`s just broken
    Jimmy 2004 says thanks.
  4. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    My old MSI K8N Neo4-F did that, and my old Abit AN8 32X.

Both nforce4 gigabit lan controllers. Seeing a pattern? ;)

From my experience they are very temperamental, and anything from a slight overclock, to a fluctuation in the power supply, anything can temporarily, or permanently kill them. I gave up and just used a PCI add-on card.

They did both fix themselves after a few days rest, but I didn't want the hassle.
    Jimmy 2004 says thanks.
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i had one do the same thing on a gigabyte mobo just use the pic card she's dead :shadedshu
    Jimmy 2004 says thanks.
  6. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Happened once to me, installed a PCI card for a couple days, then the onboard started working again. A couple restarts and some rest? Who knows!
    Jimmy 2004 says thanks.
  7. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the replies guys - sounds like it's just dead. I'll try it again in a few days and see if it's any better.

:toast: