1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Network storage device

Discussion in 'Storage' started by neatfeatguy, Jan 9, 2011.

1. neatfeatguy

Thanks Received:
    Anyone have any knowledge about network storage devices like this one here?

I'd really like to setup a home server, but I don't have the funds for it.

The wife just wants something to backup her info for her MacBook Pro. I've been reading up on reviews for these types of things and most are kind of....not that great. I don't want to jump into something like this and find out it's a POS or a waste of money.

So any advice or recommendations on a network storage device would be great.
  2. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I use a couple of NASes at work and have been very useful.
    We use a couple of old D-Link 302s and they have worked flawlessly.

I have only come across one buffalo product which was a external hard drive and wasn't impressed with the performance.
    The circuit inside the unit struggled to sustain power for certain weaker USB connections so it would end up with with data corruption.
  3. Akumos

Akumos

Thanks Received:
    For what it's worth, I'm running Windows Home Server 2003 on a P4 3GHz with 512MB memory. It's runs really fast and streams my HD videos and music flawlessly! Could probebly build something for about £100!
  4. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    Cheap NAS often ends up disastrous mainly because people want great performance out of them. Having said that, one of major issues with low-end NAS is HDD performance over network. Write / Read can be agonizingly and brutally slow.

It might be better just to buy an external HDD for half of that price.
  5. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had a Buffalo linkstation as a SOHO NAS. It was brilliant. Ahead of its time. (I bought it must be 6 years ago).

However, last year it died. And all the material was on proprietary hardware and proprietary format HDD. No, you can't just pull the HDD and mount on a Windows PC, nor transfer it to "another" later model linkstation.

So yes NAS is great, but IMO, with all the wasted time trying to backup and recover a non-functioning NAS, I actually dont think they are worth it. The hidden costs are too high.

If your "network" is a Windows network, do yourself a favour and us a "windows file format" NAS. Just as others have suggested, use an old P3 or P4 system. It is more than enough for running a fileserver. Use an old copy of XP. Or get WHS.
  6. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I went here to find out more details of my home server:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

I went with a Synology DS210j a disk-less 2 bay system. I love it and am very happy with my purchase.
  7. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Get a P4 S478 with sata RAID and create a 75$ NAS box
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU