1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Never Buy A Dell!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nguyenpeter76, Dec 14, 2007.

1. nguyenpeter76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently bought a XPS 420 and am exchanging it, because of crashing due to video card. I installed drivers from dell and ati and still crashes. Not only is there this issue, I was told that I would get the 425w psu despite not ordering the 8800gt or 8800gtx, but it came with the 375w psu. I expected this, but it shows how trustworthy the customer service is when they promised me that I'll be getting the 425w psu. today i received an email with the order status of the computer that is being made for my exchange. I noticed there were differences in the components I ordered.

3GB RAM 800MHz --> 3GB RAM 667MHz
    Keyboard --> None
    Mouse --> None
    MS Works 8.5 --> MS Worksuite 2006
    --------- --> Turbine Lord of the Rings Online,XPS
    Warranties --> doesn't show any on order status...sme for gift card.

sure im getting the lotr when i never asked for it, but it doesn't repay me for the stuff I ordered and not getting. I definately see why so many people are against dell. :banghead:
  2. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You have learned a valuable lesson. If you want more than just a basic rig, DO NOT go with one of the OEM's. Either build it yourself if you can, or go to a smaller shop, like I did, and tell them exactly what you want and have them put it together for you (they usually have some type of parts/labor warranty).
  3. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    well, some oem's tailor to us overclockers and hardcore gamers, and they are ok, if you don't mind paying the extra to have them build it for you rather than build it yourself, but then again, some people would just rather not bother with it or don't have the time.
    Falcon Northwest and Cyberpower come to mind...
  4. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would demand the 3GB DDR2 800..at the very least. You ought to learn to build your own. It's fun, and you learn a great skill. Not to mention, you will always get more for your money.
  5. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, thats true. Like you said, you will pay extra (sometimes ALOT) for their higher end parts, but not only that, it's not like Dell/Gateway etc. are known for their great service. If possible, I say avoid them for higher end gaming rigs.
  6. nguyenpeter76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah I want to build my own rig but parents dont want to me to cause they think its complicated which it really isnt. hopefully theyll let me build it after this but knowing them theyll tell me to get a hp....
  7. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    hp...LOL....tell them that you want to learn a new skill. Sometimes that works. Have them look at this forum. We'll all help walk you through the build.
  8. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    tell them you got a support group
  9. nguyenpeter76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol yeah. ill try everything now. i want to use my 22' samsungs potential :D i already plan to get a q6600, gigabyte p35, 2gb 800mhz (maybe 4gb), 8800gt 512mb, 320 seagate barracuda, corsair power supply 620w, thermalright 120 extreme, scythe s flex 120mm fans, prob cm690 if on sale again. but then theres also the new processors coming out so yeah.. but i still have to convince parents first..
  10. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    Never buy a Dell? My Dell 600m with dual battery support is amazing (fast, dedicated video card, 1280mb RAM). I think you mean never buy prebuilt DESKTOP PCs.
  11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well that just sucks. but i do have to say i had great service of them when i 1st moved to the US and just needed a comp to get settled down with. All tough wish more of them were english\american though.

BTW DELL PSU's are well underrated it's a well known fact. IF not should be by now.

PC power & Cooling do PSU's for DELL.