1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Never. Buying. From. GFWL. Ever. Again.

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Phusius, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    So just went to install my first GFWL game on my shiny new SSD, everything else has worked perfectly, Origin, Capsule, Steam, Gamefly, etc.

Play Toy Soldiers.
    GFWL update is needed.
    Updated.
    Play Toy Soldiers.
    Sign in.
    Error code.
    Network error.
    Restart PC.
    Sign in.
    Error code.

Fuck all my GFWL games. And fuck Microsoft.

2. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    and its only going to get better (worse?) in doze 8 :thumb:

Phusius says thanks.
  3. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Pretty much sums it up.

Phusius says thanks.
  4. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    This is why I like games on discs, you all laughed but guess who will still have their games when steam goes away.

NHKS says thanks.
  5. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    *Opens up Steam and logs into Arma II thats linked to account* Who's laughing now?

6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    LOL

yea kevin ever since your "Adventure" you have had many issues having to use another CD key. I would contact steam and see if they could atleast just remove it from your account or change the CD key on your account.

Sir B. Fannybottom says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    GFWL integrated into windows 8 will be packed with tons of these features! The failed login attempt is actually a mini game devised to teach you how to caress your computer into making it do what you want. And free of charge!

8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    What's the error code? Googling it usually tells you exactly how to fix it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I had a game where I didnt log into GFWL at first.
    Played for a while.
    Next time, I signed in.
    Data was lost and had to create new profile for game.

10. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Never had any problem with GFWL. That doesn't mean they don't exist.

11. STCNE

STCNE New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like the exact same thing that stopped me from playing GTAIV years ago. I did eventually use some mods to launch the game(and access my saves) without GFWL but they hardcode it into the game so there were some problems. There was no text on the menus and performance was worse than it usually is for that game.

12. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like that patch for the game was buggy, rather than a GFWL problem. Still, it's maddening as hell.

As Ford said, try googling for the error and let us know what it was so that we can help you.

You could also try uninstalling and reinstalling the game, which might well untangle whatever got knotted up there.

13. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Sigh, so instead of actually trying to fix it you bitch about it. It could've happen to anything, people have problems with everything. And as qubit said, it's not even sure it's GFWL!

qubit says thanks.
  14. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    It took you this long to come to this conclusion?

I finally rage-quit GFWL after it refused to see my Arkham Asylum saves for no good reason.

15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I love games with activation limits. You forget to uninstall before formatting a HDD, you're SOL.

Halo2, for example, ONE ACTIVATION.

Of course, calling in to GFWL support, I got activated again, no problem. Pleasant girl I talked to, too!

GFWL games, nearly 100%, need to be uninstalled before format, and, you are best to isntal GFWL and Microsfot Live Essentials before installing games. Sucks, but I've gotten used to it. Some of my STEAM games are just the same, like the Batman games.

OH, what's that you say? STEAM Batman has the same issues as GFWL Batman...who'da thunk it?!?:p

16. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. It's a massive insult and a potentially big inconvenience when things go wrong. Therefore, I refuse to buy a game that has an activation limit, regardless of how good it is. The abomination that is always-on DRM is included in this boycott.

17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I could care less about DRM. I have only experienced a single instance of DRM affecting my ability to paly a title I've bought, and a phone call fixed it.

Might as well stop using STEAM too, then, as it's Always-on DRM too. So is Origin, and many other lcients out htere...personally, I don't mind one bit.

Most home users, as well, do not upgrade like we do, or re-install OS, so for most, this is of no concern. It's only advanced users that have issues with this stuff, more often than not.

18. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    I never use gfwl and I don't care about steam either but I can imagine they can have issues.
    GFWL requires vc++, .net and constant updates. It must be annoying. :confused:

Actually why the hell anyone (who just wants to play a singleplayer game or a lan coop) is forced to create an account? This is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

19. Frick

Thanks Received:
    It is, but it's the situation we're in.

20. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Ok fine, so you're not bothered by DRM, but it's not accurate to call Steam always-on DRM. I was thinking of the always-on DRM that Ubisoft uses that chucks you out of your game if your internet connection goes down. By the same token, it flatly denies you playing your own games without an internet connection present - and that's an insult.

Steam is account-based DRM and it has features which make it tolerable for me to use, plus it can be used in offline mode.

21. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    GFWL does indeed suck.. Just recently I updated my gamertag "Which costed me like 10 bucks" and it deleted all of my batman archam city saves.. So I paid them to delete my saves... nice business model.. You can google that issue, it is extremely common. Pretty much if you do it, you're screwed..

That's not the only GFWL issue I've had.. GTA4 did a GFWL update and it made my controller analogs stop working..
    I had to stop playing for weeks until they fixed it.

22. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i had a similar prob with Dirt3, fortunately my retailer gave me another copy!

23. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Was it the game that was updated or was it indeed GFWL? Because patches has ruined games in the past as well, that is nothing new.

24. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    100% it was GFWL that caused the issue. If you changed your gamerID your saves got deleted.. They fixed it now but all of those people lost their save games. Really pissed a lot of people off. GFWL also caused an issue with archam asylum if I remember correctly.. I'm not 100% sure if that was gfwl on that one though..

25. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I personally haven't ever had a DRM issue.

Doubt they will. Steams not all too fond of hackers. I know someone who hacked in CS and got banned from every single Source Multiplayer game for it. Unless you can somehow word it so it sounds like you aren't banned, but having a cd key removed for any other reason doesn't make sense. Mostly they will just say "you made the bed, now lay in it".

Hacking with a boxed copy of a game sure, if you get banned, just throw it away. But something thats stuck on your account, not even worth it unless it's a fresh account you made to do that on.