1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New 3DS already!

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMailMan78, Aug 23, 2011.

1. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Read the sig man!
  2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree man. I bought a PSP back when it dropped. Sold it in 2 months due to lack of support. I enjoy my 3DS far more then I ever did my PSP and its just getting started. Sony has hardware sure. But no games.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  3. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I plan to get a Vita at some point. I imagine they'll start with decent ports of current and past games, then it'll come into its own and its proper lifecycle will start.
  4. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    Resident Evil for the 3DS looks nice.
  5. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Not to get off topic again but I must add that the Uncharted series is my favorite. Those two games are on the top of my favorite games list of all time. I absolutely love action/adventure and I never once compared it to TR but I did compare it to the Indiana Jones movies. Tomb Raider is a good group of games but they have nothing on Uncharted. I'm a sucker for anything that has to do with adventure and treasure seeking.

Back on topic that sucks about the 3ds. I have no interest in the Vita either. I owned a PSP and used it a few hours at most. It sat on the shelf unused for well over a year or two before I sold it. There just wasn't enough support for quality games. One or two games does not make a hand held worth buying.
    HookeyStreet says thanks.
  6. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    oh yeah God of War is totally like Ninja Gaiden..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    1Kurgan1, HookeyStreet and kid41212003 say thanks.
  7. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Yeah you battle hordes of enemies and big bosses, what part of the gameplay isn't similar to Ninja Gaiden?

Im not pissed off anymore i just feel let down by Nintendo because i was an early adopter. I saw Starfox 64 and 3D MGS3D then i thought it could be a nifty wee system, if they are just going to revamp it we can still play those new games but i might do a trade up like i keep mentioning.
  8. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    there are hundreds of titles like that. Ninja Gaiden wasn't the first.
  9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    If I would have said Golden Ax would that have made you feel better? Point is GoW is nothing at all new and not worth the hype its given. Uncharted is just a Tomb Raider rip off. Both of those games are over hyped to Halo levels.
  10. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Devil May Cry is also similar to God of War, its done to death and i can get it on PS3 if i wanted there's no innovation that makes me want to play those games. This is like when fanboys defend any playstation exclusive; take Resistance even though that's just a generic FPS series it was touted as being amazing but the first game looks like an up res'd PS2 game and plays like a PS2 medal of honour game.

If Sony can wing out some nifty portable games that make the system unique then yeah i would start to look at the Vita in another light but right now its a mini PS3 similar games. PS3 games are not suited to being played on the go, a handheld shouldn't be treated like a home console with a smaller screen.
    EDIT: Im not bashing the PS3 or the Vita im just saying there is nothing that makes me want to buy a Vita. So what it has good graphics, i'll just play my pc then instead that is my point ladies and gentlemen.
    TheMailMan78 says thanks.
  11. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    Have you played both ninja gaiden and GoW? They are night and day ffs.

Besides i think 3ds is overhyped anyway, it's just a DS with 3.
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  12. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    But, have YOU personally played through these titles? If you haven't, you can't really judge them. Uncharted and God Of War keep you hooked from the very start and don't let you go until you see the end credits rolling!

Not many games are totally original nowadays and to dismiss certain franchises because they seem like a rip-off is like cutting off your nose to spite your face :(

YAWN! I suppose the endless stream of PC FPS/RTS titles are all 110% innovative? If you don't like playing games that are similar to other games, what do you play?
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  13. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you not just return your 3DS, MailMan?
  14. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    I know I would.
  15. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I don't think there are a ton of paste of PS2 games, the PSP doesn't quite have enough power to run PS2 games, so only a few got pasted over. And honestly I don't mind, I just picked up Star Wars Battlefront II, it's a game I never had time for, or real interest on console. But when I'm sitting on lunch break at work, or laying in bed not able to sleep. It's great fun, and I would have never got to enjoy it if it wasn't for that.

I love my PSP, but it's not because of what it came out of the box as. It's because of what the community has turned it into. All of my favorite NES, SNES, Sega games I have sitting at around, but makes me sad to pull out the old console and play it on a high res TV, it's just amazing, even old PS1 games. Or I use it as an MP3 player, a portable movie player, can even use it as a GPS. The thing is amazing, to compare it to a 3DS is just sad, it has much more potential besides playing Nintendogs ( :p). I have in my pocket some of the best games ever made, I was just on a 7 day vacation, and when I got sick of spending time outside, I would relax and play some Battletoads, or some RC Pro Am, or Final Fight, I mean seriously, how can it get any better than that, or how can the 3DS even compare?

And without James Bond there would be no Tomb Raider, and without Bruce Lee there would be no Ninja Gaiden. If your point is, the predecessor is all that matters, then everything now sucks and we shouldn't play anything except indie titles. Either way I disagree with GoW, I know you haven't even played GoW, so I will explain more below (you can't judge without playing).

God of Wars hype isn't over gameplay (well some if it is because of the polish). It's over the story telling, the game is just epic, the story is epic, they make you feel epic. You are a mortal, you literally climb Mt Olympus on a Titans back, you kill Zeus, you kill Medusa, you kill the God of War! All as a Mortal, you do the impossible, you climb out of Hades grasp of death. So you are missing the point, you are dicing it down to gameplay for a game (a series) you haven't even touched. Kratos is epic, GoW series is epic, without playing it you just can't understand you are missing out, it is worth all of the hype simply based on the story.

Now to say GoW copied Ninja Gaiden, I would call BS. As far as copying the side scrolling games, hard to really say that was possible, they had to add so much more to the games. So the only one they could have really copied is the one released in 04 for the xbox. And GoW 1 came out in 05, a year later (to the month actually). Games go "Gold" a month or 2 before release, and 3 - 5 months before releasing is working heavily on polishing and case work. To say that in the 7 or so month of time SCE Santa Monica had, they completely wiped the slate clean, and started over with Ninja Gaiden in mind, not possible. These games were in development at the sametime. And even if they some how did wipe the slate clean and start over, GoW 1 is ranked on Metacritic as a 94, making it one of the highest rated PS2 games ever (tied for 4th best PS2 game). And honestly, out of all of the games I have played, one of the best games I have ever played. Ninja Gaiden came in at 91 (which is great), and a year later the better game released.

There is a reason games are called GoW clones, not just because of the combat. It's about the story telling the camera angles, the cut scenes. But most of them lack the extreme combat polish, and none of them have that amazing story to back them up. Sorry, I got to defend GoW, I just can't let someone who hasn't got seat time with these amazing titles to just say, because their gameplay resembles something means they aren't even worth looking at. Story matters, and GoW brings it in truck loads. (this is coming from someone who usually skips all cut scenes and just plays games, GoW just pulled me in)
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
    HookeyStreet and BumbleBee say thanks.
  16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    As a matter of fact I did play through pretty much most of GoW a few weeks ago and it made me sick the amount of elements it "borrowed" from DMC and Ninja Gaiden. I mean its nothing but flash and no challenge. Cool, sure but not worth any of the hype. I expected my socks to be blown off and I fell bored after jumping out of the side of cronos (I think that was his name) Ninja Gadien is a far better game. As for Tomb Raider copying James Bond you are insanely wrong. Tomb Raider started the genre in VIDEO GAMES not movies. Big difference. Uncharted just made Lara Croft into a man and did better cut scenes. Same shit. Before I couldn't talk shit. Now that I have a few dozen hours with both those games I can safely say I ain't missing nothing on the PS3 "exclusives". I dont want a playable movie. I want a fucking video game.

As for the PSP thing playing old console games are cool I guess but I have a few hang ups with that. One I don't steal. If I don't own the game personally I wont download it. Second I'm done with most of those games in that incarnation. I don't mind rehashes with new graphics but I don't feel a need to play the originals again in their original form. Basically what you used the PSP for is what an Andriod phone can do......and better.
  17. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tomb Raider was a ripoff of Pitfall.
  18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Jungle Hunt son. Jungle Hunt.
    Damn_Smooth says thanks.
  19. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    GoW gameplay is exciting, some of it is really challenging. But for the most part it's puzzle solving, if you want a flat out challenge, play Challenge of the Gods / Titans, and tell me you don't want to snap a controller in half. I completed every single challenge on both GoW I and GoW II, when most people hear that they look amazed (honestly maybe one of the toughest of my gaming achievements). I am surprised you got bored of GoW though, compared to NG, GoW has a better storyline, better character, better setting, better camera work, I just can't see how NG could fair any better. But you are still missing out on GoW, you are comparing the 3rd title in the line. I never played 1 or 2 till they released on PS3, and even being late to the game they impressed me.

But as far as discounting movies? I don't see why, we are talking about concepts here. Lara Croft is simply Indiana Jones with boobs and uses more guns (slight mix of James Bond). Far from an original concept.

Now onto the PSP, all valid points. But, for me personally, I enjoyed most of those old games, but never got to spend the time on them, or play all of them I wanted as I didn't make my own income then. As far as PS1 titles, thats extremely easy to convert to play on the PSP, I do those all myself with my own discs, and the only ROMs I have are the games I own I haven't ever looked into how to convert those, I'm not stealing anything. It's just nice to play them again on a small monitor I can bring anywhere, and have good button placement (something a phone won't give). I would love an Android, but I don't even own a cell phone, and I don't think Androids can play all of the great PS1 titles I own either, so for me, the PS1 is where it's at, simple because I can get all of my nostalgia in one place.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  20. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
  21. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Thats a nice addition, dual joysticks on a handheld.
  22. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    it's a cradle that adds shoulder buttons and another circle pad. you won't need to buy a new Nintendo 3DS.
  23. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    If its as big as that i probably would be better off trading up. Why couldnt Ninty get it right first time?

Man that sucker is massive.

Thats bigger than the charging dock so what im supposed to unattach it everytime i wanna charge it with the dock? pppppppft.
  24. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    <thinks happy thoughts>

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    KieranD says thanks.
  25. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    KieranD says thanks.