1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New akasa fans!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by FreedomEclipse, May 2, 2013.

1. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    So, I was having a lurk around some online retailers (as you do) and i came across one of Akasa's new fans called the 'Piranha high performance AIR RIPPER blade fan'

On paper they look pretty decent, especially the static pressure rating. But knowing Akasa, their fan specs are always a little exaggerated.

Looking more closely at the general design it seems to hold similarities to a Silverstone Air Penetrator but with a different blade design.

The silverstones APs are rated at 1.21mm H2o which is roughly about the same as the Scythe GT AP-15's.

With that in mind, can a simple blade/fin redesign and a speed bump of 400RPM (over the silverstone) grant as much as 2-3x more performance??

Im tempted to try these out as they have PWM support and i can use corsair link that came with my H80i to control the fans but something inside me tells me im going to be disappointed lol

what are your thoughts? Price wise they are pretty good if not around the same price as the Scythe GTs

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  2. ogharaei TPU Proofreader Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I wonder what their tonality is like.

3. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    As far as I can tell (from studying Fluid mechanics, air drag and aerospace design) You'll see a difference off Silverstone but maybe not 50%. maybe 5-10 tops but then the extra rotational speed might increase it a little more, It's hard to tell fans gain a lot more by simply spinning faster ;)

4. AvalPlaza New Member

Thanks Received:
    My 2 cents, not that is has anything to do with the performance, yet it might has to do with increased fan speed:

An owl can fly from a distance and grap a target at night, dead silenced. Studying the back of the wings of an owl, scientists recently came up with a way to make windmills less noisy. This design could just as well apply to that research?

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Specs look pretty good! Especially airflow @ 1900rpm.

6. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Looks like someone has already put the fan through it's paces. Appears that the Typhoon is still quieter while pushing the same amount of air through a radiator at the same speed.

Akasa
    [yt]-v7FQsP5LUI[/yt]

A15

Even the fast AP45 is quieter while pushing more air.

These are all off the youtube user Martinm210 in my sig. He did some old fan testing for Madshrimps but seems to have deleted a lot of older stuff from the youtube account.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    looks nice, its like the fin design used to channeling the air so it will flow the air better

8. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
  9. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    lol their sound levels are so exaggerated. specs states 6.4-27.2 dB(A) but its showing close to 60dB(A) at full RPM

10. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    most manufacturers do that. i have seen a CM sickle flow 90CFM fan, and they dont produce nearly as much airflow as my panaflow 110CFM ones.
    more like half.

11. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    i bet they bite...