1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New AMD Quad-SLI + PhysX, RAID Rig

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by TIGR, Dec 3, 2009.

1. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I haven't owned AMD for years, so have a few questions on what I"m about to do.

Just ordered an MSI NF980 G-65 and an Athlon II x4 620 (though not from those links). The 620 gets my Xigmatek S1283. Wondering what you think I can safely clock it up to.

Next, what's the cheapest 4GB (2x 2GB) or DDR3 memory I could get without limiting the 620 overclocking? I don't care about latency, rarely if ever have I seen memory bottleneck a system in real-life applications.

Thirdly, can anyone verify that that motherboard will run a 6-drive RAID 0+1 volume? I'm not one to assume blindly.

It'll be getting two 9800GX2s in quad SLI + a G92 8800GTS for PhysX. Probably 5% gaming, 95% of the time folding. The PCI slot will hold a DVR card running an 8-camera surveillance system. Anyone foresee issues, have suggestions?

Thanks for your time!

2. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    well Im not a pro but I think they can range from 3.2ghz - 3.5ghz, I dont think I have seen higher than that but I can see it going a bit higher!

TIGR says thanks.
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The only problem I forsee is that all the PCI slots will be covered by graphics cards, unless you are sticking a single slot cooler on that 8800GTS.

TIGR says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I've got one 620 in an Asus M4A79 Deluxe running at 3.4 right now actually, but I only spent about 2 minutes on it. Didn't try any higher, didn't change the voltage. Just kind of threw that system together for the time being. That one has a Scythe Katana 3 and all cores are reported by Everest at 70 C, which I'm pretty sure is inaccurate but kind of wonder what's going on.

Right you are! I should have mentioned that I'll be using a PCI flexible extender. This won't be going into a case, just sitting on a shelf.

5. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Ah ok cool, I was actually right, well if you've only spent 2 mins on OC it, you could go higher and everest iz never accurate:D