1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Apple Patents

Discussion in 'News' started by D_o_S, Mar 27, 2009.

1. D_o_S

D_o_S Moderator

Thanks Received:
    First, Apple has filed a patent for a handle with an integrated heatpipe - Patent No. 7508662. Most probably, this will appear in some future MacBooks. Of course, the heatpipe poses a limitation in the sense that it cannot get too hot, otherwise the "handle" function could not be fulfilled. Apple could use the heatpipe to cool the chipset or similar, low-power, low heat-output components.

[​IMG]

The second patent concerns biometric security and is described in detail here.
    [​IMG]
    The biometric identification should work by simply placing your finger on the touch screen in the case of an iPhone or iPod - in the case of a notebook, a palmrest, touchpad and webcam could be used. Alternatively, saying something to the microphone, or tilting the iPhone in a pre-defined sequence could also be used as a security measure.

Source: Cult of Mac and Apple Insider

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2009
  2. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    They'd look ugly as hell with that handle.

3. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I'm sure an Apple product would look "ugly as hell" these days. I mean their design department really sucks doesn't it? I'm sure it would be covered in some way and look sharp.

4. BOSE

Thanks Received:
    First it was the MacBook with a huge circle/wheel for a keyboard.. now this? They seriously need to fire a lot of people.

5. DaJMasta

Thanks Received:
    I'm kinda surprised that every patent Apple makes is headline news.

If it's really indicative of a big change, maybe it's worth it.... but I don't see how this would really count.

6. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Bah the stainless steel is getting old. Next they will make them out of cardboard and it will be stylish.

7. my_name_is_earl

my_name_is_earl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Recently I've seen some of Apple's ideas being ripoff by other company like finger gesture and look alike contest. It's just ridiculous how people want to make money off something like that. Even worst? They're not even improving it, they just copying it and most of the time make that function worst. It's good that Apple patent this kind of stuff. They should have done it before they even release information about their devices/software. As far as I can see, Apple is the only company that make better use of their own technologies and ideas everything else is just plain ripoff copy. Don't even get started a fanboy post. I own a PC but I like Apple product like iphone so I guess I'm a Micrapple?

8. thebeephaha

thebeephaha

Thanks Received:
    Dude.........

That was a joke, it was from the Onion, its not real.

9. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I thought of integrated fluid cooling back in 2006. XD

I prefer magnesium alloy myself. Why? It is 20 times stronger than ABS plastic. ;)

Pretty much all ruggedized notebook computers are made with magnesium alloy rather than aluminium.

Attached Files:

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Haytch

Haytch New Member

Thanks Received:
    The patent of twisted metal is stupid. These people are lucky the ' wheel ' was not patent.
    Everytime i come across a shitty patent I cant help but feel the Pirate in me arise.

11. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    ohh, that's shame point