1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New artificial lung, works on natural air!

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by digibucc, Jul 26, 2011.

1. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    current artificial lungs require pure oxygen to operate. that's why people need to carry the large heavy cylinders with them. this one works on natural air in our atmosphere!
    source

[​IMG]

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  2. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    i don't think i'd want to get in a fight with that thing in me, or trust it during exercise. Unless they can regulate how much of the fake "lung" is being used, it's oxygen supply will be constant and unchanged from idle time.

i have always told my older community when they say smoking is bad that eventually i'll be able to buy lungs at wal-mart lol course i was thinking actual like transplant lungs. It'll be interesting to see what this progresses to in 2-5 years.

"Buyer beware! if you purchase this fake lung and defy your government, it will shut down."

pretty soon we'll all just be robots controlled by Obama once he turns the US into a dictatorship and unleashes our forces that are stationed all around the world with only a few of them serving a purpose, like Korea.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  3. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Sweet. I'm probably gonna need one of these.

4. twilyth Guest

The mere fact that exercise is even a consideration for you means you'll probably never need one. :)

5. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Boo ya! Roasted...

Sweet stuff. As time goes by we inch closer and closer to integrating humans with human technology. Cyborgs?

6. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    weights are one of the most enjoyable things to work with, even better than people sometimes :laugh:. Though these cigarettes might catch up with me :rolleyes:

7. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Won't your heart take care of that by controlling the flow rate? Anyways why are they still making stuff like this rigid? It's going to tear blood vessels right at the connection point. You don't have that problem naturally because the organs and everything connecting to them are elastic, sharing any deformation load. This should be made out of some semi-rigid gel, plastic, or actual tissue grown in one of those lattice molds.

8. twilyth Guest

I don't know about the connection points, but the artifical blood vessels are silicone rubber so that might not be a problem.

Good point about heart rate though.

9. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    i believe it is, if you look at the picture closesly, there is a slight bend, looks like slightly more pressure is on the right side. Semi-rigid gel-like substance would do something like that.

10. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It looks to me like the whole thing is made out of silcone.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  11. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:

Stem cell and cellular printing tech will make replacement organs a snap in the next 2 decades. However figuring out how to make a productive organ shape, was the real useful part. Now they know how to print the cells to grow on the dish.