1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Autumn Build - thoughts welcome

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Tatty_One, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all, for the first time in my PC life I have owned a motherboard and CPU for over 3 years and I have to say the relationship has been a fantastic one, I got lucky when the I7 920's first came out as I got the origional C1 stepping and it overclocked really well and ran cool on very low volts.

Its time for a refresh both visually and to generally update, to be honest I am not looking for any substantial performances increases as I am pretty happy with what i already get, I just need a change. I only really surf the net with the odd bit of gaming (World of Tanks and BF3 mainly but only have time for 2-4 hours a week). I do overclcok pretty much everything but not to the semi competative level that I used to, age and time dictate "quick" results these days. So anyways, I want to go MATX for a change and having seen BP's new build I like white too!

I have uploaded a shopping basket of my choices, I wont get this lot until I get back from my family Florida holiday in a few weeks but I would welcome any useful feedback you may want to throw in, of course I am limited in an MATX build so......

1. Cooler just fits, max for the case is 165mm height, this one is 160mm.
    2. I need a MATX board but want a PCI slot also (many forgo the PCI slot).
    3. I need low profile memory and I like cheap!
    4. it has to look nice!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    That CPU might be faster but keep in mind what you're dropping. No hyperthreading, this CPU won't overclock to the same clocks you have now, less CPU cache, and it's not unlocked so you're going to get no more than 400mhz out of the CPU, and you lose the triple-channel memory. The i5 gives you integrated graphics (always a plus to have just in case,) and a faster architecture that uses less power, plus a stronger IMC.

All in all, unless you get a k-edition 1155 chip, I think whatever you get will tail behind what you have now, granted not by much. I just feel it won't be any faster and could be slower.

Tatty_One says thanks.
  3. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    I hear what you are saying, I would have kept my CPU if I could get a decent choice of MATX S1366 boards but there is just not enough around in the UK these days for obvious reasons, I might take a look though at a higher spec CPU, not too bothered about the HT TBH as I do little to benefit but I would like to be running at 4gig 24/7 at least, just to feel I am gettin some real value out of it!

Edit: Did some reading, basket updated to 3570K! :) For the sake of about 25 quid it seemed silly not to.

Aquinus says thanks.
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    No more complaints from me. Looks good. :)

Tatty_One says thanks.
  5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Would recommend you go for the power saving route instead, given that the electricity is daylight robbery in UK right now. That is round about the only thing you can reliably see between the 920 and SB/IVB

Tatty_One says thanks.
  6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    IVB is pretty energy efficient. It's a benefit over the older Nehelem chip, that is for sure. You'll probably cut your power usage (by the CPU) at least in half after overclocking both.

7. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Might have to rethink cooler, with the couple of protruding pipes at the top it apparently comes to 163mm, thats a bit too close for comfort :eek: Looking at the Prolimatech Panther its a few millimetres shorter and gets very good reviews.

8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I've been pretty happy with my ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm Long life bearing CPU C... . It should be short enough, it's plenty quiet and it cools my overclocked SB-E pretty well.

Guru3d's conclusion to their review says this:
    That was with a skt1156 i5, but you get the idea. I run my SB-E at about 1.4v to get a CPU temperature of about 63*C if you want another idea of how well it cools. Not everyone likes the look of it, but it's definitely a good cooler. The review says at full speed that it is loud, but it has always been quieter than the rest of my rig.

Tatty_One says thanks.
  9. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Looks good and on checking, a little smaller so more headroom, similar price also, def worth some consideration.

10. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Tatty_One says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD