1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New build, advice pls

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Acneman, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Acneman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi there,

A friend has asked me to build him a top spec computer and hes given me the green light to spend about 2 grand.

Heres what iv got so far
    MOBO
    RAM
    QX9650!!
    Graphics
    Blu ray writer/hd-dvd reader
    PSU
    media card and floppy reader
    noctua case fans

I may change the PSU, i use a corsair 600W and love it. any recommendations? Im not really sure what wattage psu i need for this build.

Case wise it dosnt need to be beautiful as will maily be used as it will be hidden away in a cupboard im thinking this lian-li

And for CPU coolage im thinking the new scyth?

Lastly the storage, either 1TB seagate or 2 x 500GB seagate. OR the 74GB raptor in combination with one of the former choices

It'll run vista ultimate and will be used for everything but gaming

Any thoughts?
    AM

2. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Everything looks OK, but that QX9650 is WAY over priced, considering a month or so from now the Q9450 will be available for about $300 or so. Also, you may want to consider a board that uses DDR2 or DDR2 and DDR3. Right now, DDR3 is way over priced, and you get only marginal performance gains over DDR2

3. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dang. It looks like a hot build to me. I'm an ASUS fan, but that's just personal preference.

I'd go with the Enzotech CPU cooler since it does an extremely good job at cooling the CPU and is oriented to also blow air on the VRegs, NB, and RAM. That Scythe is hideous.

4. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree. I had actually originally started typing something along this line but pined away from it.

5. Acneman New Member

Thanks Received:
    but its penryn!! lol, i know but its still within budget and less heat/wattage/etc. when its considered 'slow' then i can overclock it and its my understanding that it will overclock better then the 65nm 3GHZ? anyways im planning to build this in a month so can always take stock then

The enzotech looks superb but it looks like ill have to order it seperately. Maybe i can pick it up somewhere

I agree with the marginal DDR3 gains but as moneys not exactly an option then 2x2gb will do for now and when its cheaper he can bung in another pair. i thought it was quite a good idea...

6. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    The point is that the $$ spent doesn't really justify the performance gain. It's really easy to upgrade the CPU and RAM down the road. Spend the extra cash on future proofing the PSU and MB (not familiar with that MB, if it is top shelf then disregard). Hell, go for a top of the line case that will yield the best airflow for overclocking.

This is all just thoughts/ideas and by no means suggests that you are off base with your parts list. Just hitting the project from different angles ya know.

7. Acneman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mobo as far as im aware is fantastic, also im a big fan of gigabyte. I would go for a better case but as i said itll be unseen apart from when changing dvds, etc. lol i may as well just build it into the cupboard. can you recommend a good psu, im assuming i should be aiming for around the 700W mark?

8. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually the one you have in the list is a very good unit. Seasonic is rock solid. 700W sounds about right, maybe a bit high for the suggested build, but higher is better... to a point.

It looks like you have done your homework and have a good argument to justify each componant you picked.

9. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    maybe get the 512MB of the graphics - if he is using a large resolution it'll come in handy.

check ebuyer for some of the prices as well i know they just cut some.

edit here you go http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136384 - i just installed mine and i'm very happy with what it can pump out.

10. Acneman New Member

Thanks Received:
  11. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice choice of cases.

How close are you to budget.

12. Acneman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think im exactly on budget, 2 grand with shipping. I would go for a better case but its not going to be seen and i think size is a factor

Thanks for all the input btw :D