1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Build - Cheap Entry-Level Gaming/Productivity PC

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by dylricho, Mar 4, 2014.

1. dylricho

Thanks Received:
    I was planning on doing some overclocking, but nothing major. I've heard the FX-8350 can go up to 5.00 GHz, but I would be more content at around 4.50-4.60 GHz. For that, would you recommend a 750 W PSU?

2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    yes the 8350 can but depending on luck of draw on chip,Motherboard, ram, and how beefy the psu is in build quality and the type of cpu cooler being used. Id say honestly oc in baby steps and burn in that cpu. Try for 4.2 Ghz for starters(200Mhz over turbo) then go up and see if you hit 4.3 then 4.4 then 4.5,

dylricho says thanks.
  3. dylricho

Thanks Received:
    That makes sense, thanks! The Corsair CX750M seems like a good choice, at least according to the rating.

Since I'll be overclocking the default clock, is it also possible to overclock the turbo frequency, or will overclocking simply disable the turbo boost?

4. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    For PSU anything between 500 and 600W is fine for a max overclocked CPU and single overclocked GPU. For future crossfire purposes, look at 800+ PSU's. A lot of people these days seem to heavily overestimate how much power a PC takes, and the answer is, not as much as you think it does. I like the EVGA PSU simply because it's Gold rated, and in terms of not cheaping out on a PSU, I'd take the gold over a corsair Bronze/Silver rated 750w, unless you're intending on using that PSU for crossfire.

Here's a PSU calculator for your troubles:
    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

You can either set the turboboost as an overclock and edit it's perimeters. AKA If the turboboost is 4Ghz and the stock is 3.6, you can overclock the turboboost instead so your PC runs efficiently when you're not doing anything, and then boosts to your desired overclock when you're gaming. That might be intel only, I've never OC'd the turbo on an FX.
    Or, you can turn off turboboost in BIOS(This is what most OC'ers do), and then overclock the stock base clock to a permanent clock, so from 3.6 to 4.2 and run at 4.2 permanently.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    dylricho says thanks.
  5. dylricho

Thanks Received:
    Okay, in such a case, I think I'll stick with my EVGA PSU. I do plan on seeking out a second GPU, but I don't suspect it'll be something I need straight away. I was making sure that if I'm going to overclock the system, I want quality parts. :)

And in regards to overclocking, I might follow suit with everyone else and disable the turbo, unless there's a way to overclock the turbo frequency independently.

6. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    In case you're weary of running out of power available, there's a fella on here running a 3770K OC'd and a GTX 690 all on a 550w PSU. So you're safe with your system configuration in terms of PSU requirements. I think independent turbo OC'ing might be an intel only option. As I said, I've not tried it on an FX, I just set it to the permanent running clock.

7. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    hehe welcom to the addict club :)
    good build but...
    samsung 840 evo is best price/performance/quality rating atm
    you dont need 2x 1tb hdds. it will be cheaper if you get 1x 2tb hdd
    to unleash the beast 212evo wont be sufficient. it is very good for replacment of stock cooler and minor oc but for 4.5ghz you will need something better. better mb would be good too.
    r7 260x is crap video for that cpu. it like you added v10 biturbo engine in your car but you have sticked it with tractor gearbox. r9 280x is minimum here.
    case is good for silent performance but i doubt that it will be so silent with high oced cpu. it has too few fans which will reduce air circulation inside. this will pump up cpu fan rpms and silence will go away. it will be better if you get case with high fans slots number add all fans possible and reduce rpms of fans so they work silently. haf932 advance wold be perfect but pcpartpicker cant find it offered in uk. you can easy add insulation on side panels to reduce noise but adding additional fans when there isnt mounting points will require a lot of drilling at least
    consider options to wire your pc instead of wlan. with good rooter you will get way better speeds (both in lan and wan)
    and last but not least 8350. you can do it with 8320 and with saved money get better other components.
    since you dont have fixed price anymore i would sugest you this http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/35AU2 and you will never need 2nd card unless you decide you want to play crysis [whatever number it is actual at that time] on 4k monitor at mega-giga-ultra settings.
    but if you are too scared from price of 290 here is 280x version http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/35AU2
    in few months new gen cards from nvidia is expected and there will be price changes for current graphics at the time of the purchase you may get better deals.
    as for the buying keep saved cash till you find good sale deals for part you are looking at (then you can get 8350 at the current price of the 8320 i have missed such deals last year cause of lack of money :( )
    also newegg is coming in uk at late May and most likely there will be some killer deals from them at the begging so just keep you eyes :eek:

8. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    OP, just because you have no ethernet, doesn't mean you can't have ethernet ;)

Powerline Adapter

EDIT: Amazon links are F'd on TPU for some reason, go on Amazon and search for 200mbps Powerline Adapter. Top one for £15

I have 4 of these at home, and have 84mbps broadband, they do their job nicely.

9. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    About your build proposals ne6togadno, to use a Noctua NH-D14, you need low profile RAM. I had to cut off the heat spreader on one of my sticks Corsair Vengence RAM to be able to mount the NH-D14 in my 2600k rig. Other than that, I approve of the proposals, and prefer the one with the R9 290.

[​IMG]

ne6togadno and RCoon say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    amd and intel board are different. but even if we count this as problem at minimal price (or performance cost) ram can be replaced with other model.

edit:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/628569/official-noctua-nh-d14-club/1410#post_13777382
    http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=5704.0
    i dotn think there will be problems.
    edit2:
    http://gskill.com/en/product/f3-2400c11d-8gxm
    ripjaw X is 40mm hight. there will be 4mm clearense between sink fins and ram

BarbaricSoul says thanks.
  11. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    that's all I was suggesting (looking at the picture of the Gigabyte board, yeah it WILL have this problem with the NH-D14), select some low profile RAM like Corsair Vengence LP and your builds are golden.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/35Emj

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    there isnt problem ram to fit under cooler
    http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs&step=2&products_id=34&lng=en#13
    unfortunately corsair doesnt give dimensions of their ram
    edit:
    btw at what direction you have installed cooler. it isnt simetric and if you install it so that fan is over ram then you will have more space between ram and fins then if you have installed it in the way that fan is over vrms

BarbaricSoul says thanks.
  13. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Huh? Either way I mount it, the fins are over dimms 1 and 2. I have it mounted so the fans air flow is horizontal, not vertical, and have a intake fan mounted in the case blowing air straight into the first fan on the NH-D14.

excuse the dust-
    [​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    according to noctua the side with 62mm form center should be the side over ram. ripjawX with heat sink is 40mm tall so you should be able to fit your ram under cooler w/o collision problems. fan height is adjustable so it too isnt problem

15. dylricho

Thanks Received:
    What's wrong with the motherboard? :(

And like I said, I don't want to go overboard. I'd be much happier waiting for the R9 270X to go down in price.

Pointless for me. We only have 20 Mb/s broadband in our area; no fiber. And I get 20 Mb/s through Wi-Fi easily enough.

16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Asoka now have 200 Mbps units now.

trust me youd want adapters with 100Mbps atleast on ethernet. Ethernet is the best out of connectivity.

RCoon says thanks.
  17. dylricho

Thanks Received:
    Ethernet is the best, agreed but like I said, my area only has 20 Mb/s broadband with no sign of future upgrades.

I can achieve my full connection using Wi-Fi.

The motherboard supports Gigabit Ethernet so it's future-proof, should my area get an upgrade in the coming years.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  18. dylricho

Thanks Received:
    Hello guys,

I was just reading this thread about VRM, and happened to notice another motherboard almost identical to my current choice. Out of the two, which should I go for, as I'm not sure exactly what the difference is, other than the PCI slot section.

And would either of them have sufficient PCI x16 slots for two GPUs?

- M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    - M5A99X EVO R2.0

19. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (dual x16)

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)

The first would "technically" be a better choice, as it has the higher lane bandwidth, which makes almost no difference. There is a small percentage improvement with x16, but it's in the single percentile.

20. dylricho

Thanks Received:
    I see, thank you. Do you have any gripes with either board?

21. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    None at all, I believe the PRO is a better board, but I actually used to run a PII X6 1055t @ 4Ghz on an EVO board a few years back and it handled it alright.

dylricho says thanks.
  22. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    The 7850K is almost the same price as the FX 8350 here in Australia :confused: So i went with the 7700K

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=187_345&products_id=26649

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=187_1512&products_id=21806

23. dylricho

Thanks Received:
    Awesome. I'm going to go with the PRO. How many HDDs/SSDs can this motherboard support? My case has 8 bays. It also supports up to 6 fans; will I be able to use them all with this board?

24. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    to help ya better go to Asus.com and look up the motherboard your looking at, there are manuals you can download for it

25. RCoon

Thanks Received:

AMD SB950 controller :

5 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
    1 x eSATA port(s), red
    ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller :
    2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue

It will support 5 drives, plus an extra 2 via the PCIe controller (which I tend not to use), and one eSATA, which you probably won't be able to use unless you have a specific type of drive.