1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Build - Check/Advice

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Hellfire, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    You mean burn a board with a CPU that is supported?

Looks good overall, except your CPU choice makes no sense.

The FX 6 core Bulldozer is £8 cheaper.

The FX 6 core Piledriver is only £8 more.

AMD FX-6 6100 Black Edition 6 Core 3.3Ghz Socket A...
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-338-AM&groupid=701&catid=1967&subcat=1825

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    Aquinus says thanks.
  2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Yup.

3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    +1: Get the FX-6300, it's a great deal and it doesn't cost much more than what you already have lined up. You're still holding on to that 95-watt TDP too.

Hellfire says thanks.
  4. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I was looking at these, I was informed that going for a X4 Piledriver would be better than a X6 Bulldozer due to the initial problems with bulldozer, The other thing is I know it's only a LITTLE bit but I am already over £50.00 over budget (£300 initial budget)

My brother isn't going to be using it for anything that would even utilize the six cores, I don't think there is much which would use all four, I figured a higher clock speed per core with them being used is better than a lower clock speed and 2x cores being unused. remember I cannot OC this rig as the user will not have a clue and it's being run on stock cooling.

I "might" stretch for the extra £8.00 on scan for the FX6300 but as a present it's already become expensive.

5. Dent1

Thanks Received:

Piledriver is only slightly faster than Bulldozer core per core, the two extra cores on the Bulldozer X6 would more than compensate. Also as developers begin to take advantage of multi threading you'll see the performance of the Piledriver X4 decrease whilst the Bulldozer X6 will increase which means you'll be less likely to upgrade sooner.

There are alot of games utilising 4 cores.

If you're not overclocking drop the motherboard down £8 and use the saving on the Piledriver X6.

Hellfire says thanks.
  6. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Dent,

I think what I am going to do is give him the price for the £300 rig and get him to pay for the extras which seem more than fair, I will recommend the 6300 piledriver but the decission will be down to him,

If it was for myself, for what I use my rig for I'd have chosen the 8core PSU with all the trimmings,

Dent1 says thanks.