1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New build for moderate and multiple different uses, need advise please

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by tigasport, May 29, 2014.

1. tigasport New Member

Thanks Received:
    Starting research for a build to be built in the next 2 weeks or so. I plan to build around the processor. I will be using the CPU for tons of research which leads to 20+ taps open (Mozilla and Explorer open at same time), my small business (1-2 users) lots of emails etc, watching videos online and blu-rays, and I want to have decent sound abilities for music. This CPU will run 12+ hours everyday. I would like it to last at least 4 years with out breaking down. Price is not really a problem since I firmly believe in "buy once and only cry once". However, I would like to keep it under 3K.

Here are the must have's:
    • Windows 7 Pro - a must since I hear windows 8 sucks.
    Here are the considerations:
    • 1150 socket (i7-4790 haswell with a Z87 mother board), or a 2011 (i7-4930K Ivy bridge) . Really hard choice but I'm leaning towards the i7-4790 Haswell.
    • Motherboard Z87 if I use the i7-4790 Haswell. For the 2011 i7-4930 I have no idea yet.
    • Hard drive- looking to put the operating system on a 500g ssd and have a second 2tb WD black drive 7200rpm for storage. Is that a good idea? If using a SSD for the operating system, who makes a great 500g SSD?
    • Video card???
    • Sound card or just use motherboard??? Currently I have a 6 speaker Logitech sound system.
    • CPU case???
    • Processor fan???
    • Ram-DDR3 with 16+ gigs. I need to figure out the fastest and best for which processor and motherboard are used 1600, 1333, etc???
    • Blu-ray player and software???
    • Power supply 800w to 1000w. Any ideas on a good company?
    • Multi card reader for camera memory cards etc.
    Any educated help would be most appreciated. I built a really nice system 4 years ago, but I'm rusty as to new items now available.
  2. LaytonJnr

LaytonJnr

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

From what you've said about the usage, I don't see the need to spend so much money. I don't think you will need that much RAM unless you're doing something like video editing, and you definitely don't need such a high wattage power supply, seeing as you haven't mentioned gaming, and hence wouldn't need a high-end graphics card that consumes that much power. In my opinion, you should be fine with a non-K Core i5 processor with a B85/H87 motherboard, 8GB of RAM, and a 550W max 80+ Gold PSU.

Unless you're planning on doing any gaming, video or photo editing, 3D modelling, or other intensive programs, then perhaps you're going a bit too far spec wise. Feel free to tell us if you do plan on using it for more intensive tasks, and I'll modify my advice.

Layton
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
    RCoon says thanks.
  3. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    +1 to Layton here, your build is obscene. For "20 tabs in a web browser", emails and some Blurays, you could happily run on an i3, but you know, if money is a non issue, you can jump on a non K i5 like Layton said. You don't even need a Z87 motherboard for it, as you have no intention of overclocking, so you could go with a B85 or a H81/87 for half the price. 8GB of RAM (CAS9 @ 1600mhz) is certainly future proof for your tasks, and 550W is overkill, but in the event you decide to add a GPU, it might come in handy.
    If you have no intention to game, get a gold 350-400W PSU from a good OEM (enermax, Sea Sonic, Corsair, FSP, SuperFlower, XFX).
    Samsung EVO 500GB should suit your needs, as for HDD's buy from whoever you want, I don't find it makes too much difference unless you're narrowminded.
    LaytonJnr says thanks.
  4. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    do u have monitor and what res it is
  5. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:

I agree with almost everything Layton said, except for the motherboard. If you don't plan to OC, you don't need to spend the money on a Z87 motherboard. A lower priced B85 chipset chipset motherboard will do what you are asking. A sample build that I would suggest for you consists of-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116898
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131986
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313345
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147249
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178338
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151097
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416804

Just under $1100, and I can shave the price some more ( do you really need a 500gb SSD?)
    tigasport says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. LaytonJnr

LaytonJnr

Thanks Received:
    I edited my post as you were writing, as I'd already noticed my mistake :p

A suggested build for the OP: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TcsDJx

Layton
    tigasport and BarbaricSoul say thanks.
  7. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
  8. BigBoi

BigBoi

Thanks Received:
    Yeah definitely get the H87 as opposed to the Z97.
    It has the "small business advantage" feature. Lol :D
  9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Shoot a 4350 on a 970A with 8 gb of 1600 ram or a A85 With Richland or Kaveri apu would work for this.
  10. tigasport New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for your help. The price range you have everything in is amazing! I was expecting to pay at least 2K. I did fail to mention that I will at times run multiple monitors. I will show customers videos (sound and video) on one TV via HDMI connection. Also, my wife at times will work from home and needs to log into her works network/ cpu at her job which hogs power. I have seen my current cpu getting worked hard with my task and her task. We are seriously discussing running two monitors side by side (either HDMI or VGA connections most likely VGA) which is great for the type of work she does (paralegal) for comparing docs side by side. I can see where I at times could be running 3 monitors. I currently have all the TV/ monitors, keyboard etc. So with all that in mind, video card? Think I will need one? Also, I don't mind paying a few more bucks for 700+ watt power supply. I would have just bought a 1000 watt if it wasn't for your post, so you have been shaping me to be more frugal. Sound card? A decent sound card that has some cool effects. One good enough for the guy who likes to let loose once in a while. Don't need a DJ sound card, but wouldn't mind one that is intuitive to use and has some great sound effects. Sorry, I should have been more specific in my original post. These are thing that I just thought of to post as well.

To answer some questions, no gaming as I get motion sickness when using the cpu, but do fine with xbox. I can see where I will edit photos in the near future, but nothing hard core. I stress that I want the cpu to be extremely reliable. Be able to handle 12+ hours of on time and last for 4+ years. Fast and fast, at log in, and during applications and browsing. I will most likely go with at least 12GB (1600) of ram, again a compromise between my current idea of 16 and your idea of 8. That Seagate hard drive, is it as good as a WD black drive? I have used black drives for years and they have been wonderful. Will the Seagate last 4+ years through my heavy long hours? I will say though the price is much better on the Seagate then my typical choice of WD black drives.

Last thoughts. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge the different kinds of PCI slots. Your choice on the motherboard, does it have good versatility with its PCI slots as compared to other motherboards? Seriously, I have flexibility for a more expensive motherboard as your build is so cost effective.

Again, thank you for your thoughts and time, Jack.
  11. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    All CPUs are reliable easily capable of running 24/7 for 5 years, most operating systems on the other hand are not.
    If you run a PSU at less than 20% load you are wasting a ton of power. Optimum efficiency is achieved at 50% load.

In your position I would go for a FX 8320 and 8GB of RAM on a Gigabyte 970A-DS3P and a passively cooler GT610, the PSU I would go for a 450W Seasonic unit. With the sound card I would just pick up an ASUS Xonar that fits in your budget. Really a system for your needs shouldn't cost more than 550$.
  12. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Ok, in reponse to your questions-

About the monitor/monitors. As a college student, I fully understand your reasoning for multiple monitors, but let me make a suggestion. How about a 30" 1600p monitor? I have one I use for my college assignments. It is literally 4 of my laptops monitors in one, and I use it like that. I'll have 4 windows open at one time and laid out so I can see all of them at the same time. Between it and my laptops monitor, I basically have 5 1280*768 viewable monitors at once.

As for a video card, for multiple monitors or one large 1600p monitor like I just suggested, yes, you will need a video card. A Nvidia GTX 750 or AMD R7 260 should be able to do what you want, but they will not yield good gaming performance on multiple monitors or a 1600p monitor (which is irrelevant from that you've said).

As for reliability, I promise you, you will not be running your CPU harder than I do. I run my CPUs at absolute full load for weeks on end running the WCG crunching program. Any of todays CPUs will have no problem running like that as long as you insure it does not over-heat. Since you don't plan to over-clock, the stock heatsink will be sufficient for that. Just open the case once or twice a year and clean out the dust.

As for the Seagate, Seagate's hard drives are just as good as WD drives. I personally have a Seagate 7200.12 that is about 6-7 years old, and still going strong in my 2600k system. It has been my main hard drive (sometimes used by it's self, sometimes with a SSD)for the past 5 years. At one time, there was a problem with Seagate hard drives, but that issue has been long since fixed.

As for the RAM, don't get 12 gb or RAM. Whether you run 4, 8, or 16 GB of RAM , it is important that you run an even number of sticks of RAM for your system to run in dual channel mode. You would need two 6gb sticks or four 3gb sticks of RAM to run 12gb of RAM in dual channel. Too bad they do not make 3 or 6gb of RAM. Just go a head and get 16gb of DDR3 1600 RAM.
    tigasport and ne6togadno say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
    tigasport says thanks.
  14. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    For me the B85 is out. Just because the failure rate is higher. H87 is good. Other than that the Intel build is spot on
    ne6togadno says thanks.
  15. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    still with amd you get more for same or less $
    intel build is with 8gb 1600 rest are with 16gb 2133 ram
  16. LaytonJnr

LaytonJnr

Thanks Received:
    There is absolutely no need for your system to have a 700W+ power supply, despite you having the budget to do so. Its absolutely pointless, as you'll never reach the need for 700W in the systems that are being suggested, even if you upgrade and are running a high performance graphics card. The best option for you would be a 550W MAXIMUM power supply, but a lot of people have been suggesting 450W variants. With the systems people have suggested, you are likely to be running most of the time at around 200-300W (with a low-end GPU), which is where an 80+ certified power supply is most efficient. I would suggest an XFX or Seasonic 450W or 550W, preferably 80+ Gold/Platinum rated if you can find it.

In that case, you are unlikely to need a higher-end GPU if gaming is out of the question. But as @BarbaricSoul suggested, running a multi-monitor or one large 1600p monitor will require some more oomph than the Intel integrated graphics. I would agree that an NVIDIA GTX 750 or AMD R7 260 would be suitable for the build, although you could probably go a little bit lower (i.e. GT 740, R7 250/250X). I feel you want to spend money, so feel free to get the two I mentioned before.

As for the CPU, an Intel Core i5 4460 or 4570 are very reliable CPUs, and will be able to handle that many hours, and last for a number of years. To be honest, CPUs for most people are so fast that they are too quick for people's needs, so perhaps will never reach their maximum performance purely because their lower performance is already good enough. The thing that will make the PC fast to log on and fast to open applications is the SSD, which we've already looked at in your build.

Your PC is extremely unlikely to ever require 12GB of RAM, no matter what you throw at it. Hardcore gamers, who play games that use vast amounts of RAM (almost) never require more than 8GB for their needs, and they are pushing their systems close to the limit. I would like to reiterate that in reality, the only reason a person would need more than 8GB of RAM is if they do a lot of video editing or 3D modelling, or similar programs that need more RAM for intense rendering. So a 2x 4GB RAM kit, 1600MHz CL9 is perhaps the best option for you. You should have RAM in pairs or quadruplets for the best performance, hence another reason why I would not suggest 12GB of RAM, as you would require 2x 6GB sticks, or 4x 3GB sticks, but these don't exist. If you must have more than 8GB of RAM, then go with 16GB (2x 8GB, or 4x 4GB), but I would advise that its unlikely to be necessary in your system.

Seagate and Western Digital both create great drives, that are pretty much equal. Except Western Digital ones can often be more expensive due to their popularity - a 1TB WD Black drive cost twice the price of a similar 1TB Barracuda drive. A Samsung SSD and Seagate HDD combo would be a great choice.

I don't quite understand what your worry is about, as most modern ATX and mATX boards are very similar in their PCI / PCIe slots they have, and all manufacturers have versatile slots. The current need of PCIe slots in your system is a PCIe 3.0 x16 for the GPU (for multi-monitor / 1600p monitor setup), and perhaps a PCIe x1 or x4 for the sound card, which the motherboard has. I chose a mATX motherboard (a smaller one) so that the case you have doesn't take up as much room. I also chose the most expensive H87 mATX motherboard. Unless you are overclocking (which is not necessary for your needs in anyway), then there isn't much need for a more expensive motherboard. And probably the reason why my build seems so cost effective for you is that your needs are not quite as intensive as someone else who may be spending 3K on a video editing rig that requires more expensive components.

Sorry this is such a long post - your questions have quite long answers. I would like to hear your feedback, and then I (or another TPU member) could modify a better build for you based on your thoughts.

Layton
    ne6togadno says thanks.
  17. tigasport New Member

Thanks Received:
    Again, thanks for your time. I have been considering your thoughts and researching. I have a great laugh for you: 660 watt power supply, hey much improvement over my idea of a 1000+ watt. I took your recommendations on SeaSonic 80+ Platinum.

Slight changes I'm strongly considering from your post and dne6togadno. So far here is where I'm at in the build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7pHdxr

Got ideas on a multi card reader and sound card?
  18. tigasport New Member

Thanks Received:
  19. tigasport New Member

Thanks Received:
  20. LaytonJnr

LaytonJnr

Thanks Received:
    We cannot seem to convince you to get a lower wattage power supply - you honestly don't need that much! But its your money, so your choice.

In terms of a multi card reader, it would probably be easiest to get a 5.25in version, unless someone suggests a good case (something you missed out on in the build) with a 3.5in front bay. I know that Akasa make some great card readers in the 5.25in form factor, and the aluminium-like finish of some of their units blends in quite well with the Corsair 350D I suggested in an earlier post. NZXT also do a nice mesh-based one, which blends in quite nicely to mesh-front cases. The choice is yours based on the aesthetics of the case, and the specific card reading features you would want. Also, a lot of card readers have USB 3.0 ports, however you only have one USB 3.0 header on your motherboard, which may be attached to the case front I/O USB 3.0 cable.

Sound cards aren't really my speciality, but I would suggest an ASUS Xonar series sound card. Which model really depends on how concerned you are about audio quality - a proper audiophile would invest in an expensive external DAC because they want complete sound purity.

Layton

PS. You can do multiple replies in one post, as well as edit previous posts to add new quotes, instead of triple posting. You can get a lot of hate from triple posting ;)
    tigasport says thanks.
  21. tigasport New Member

Thanks Received:

Ok, this is the last update for now until tomorrow when I have more time: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MkJ66h

I can see that I'm going to need advise/ spend time looking at cases. With my current set up what size case will I need/ recommendations? I know the motherboard is larger then your first recommendation and I will run two optical drives

Final parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/tigasport/saved/KNc48d

You will notice that I took into consideration your ideas on the power supply now 550w and SSD drive now 250gb. As far as I know all parts should work together. I will buy all the parts in the next few days. You have been extremely helpful and your advise is always considered strongly. Let me know your thoughts on the build.

Also, if I were to be watching Netflix on my cpu, could I push resolutions above 1080? My concern is my signal, I have no idea if I can push resolutions above 1080 with my comcast/ internet connection or if Netflix has resolutions about 1080. I know most Youtube channels don't go above 1080 either.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  22. tigasport New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, for the tips on posting, sorry about that.
  23. LaytonJnr

LaytonJnr

Thanks Received:
    A person's case is quite a personal thing, so I would recommend doing your research. But if we're factoring two optical drives AND a card reader, your looking at having at least three 5.25in bays. To be honest, you could get away with using two if you use a Bluray and DVD multidrive, which opens up your options a lot more. As a starting push to your research, have a look at the Corsair Obsidian series (i.e. 650D, 750D), and the NZXT Phantom series (i.e. 530, 630, 820). There are so many great cases out there, so often its about personal choice over features and aesthetics.

Layton
  24. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    you have missed case (look at mid towers)
    750ti is good choice
    500gb ssd is overkill. win 7 ultimate fresh install is about 50gb with some programs browser cash etc lets say it 60gb. for what you are going to use rest 440gb?
    for os/programs drive 128gb ssd is fine.
    g.skill, kingston, crusial etc. offer ram with better price/performance ratio then corsair
    you dont need 2xODDs you can gave blue ray writer for about 80$
    intel
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/K7CGxr

amd apu
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yfm66h

amd fx
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Kx9bwP

i have fixed my lists so they are all the same but for cpu/mb/ram so you can make difference in pricing between amd and intel. i have added vga card in amd apu system for comparison. if you decide to go this apu way you dont need to purchase vga card. integrated graphics on amd's apus is better intel's bur since you want pc to be future proof i would recommend you to go with dedicated vga.
    better amd price comes at the cost of about 50W more power consumption (18kw more per month at 12h power on daily) for fx build.
    both cpus are quite capable and i doubt you will ever be able to load them at more then 30-40% with tasks you have explained.
    i have added sound card and card reader in my builds but i cant advise you much here. i have seen some ppl here complaining about asus xonar drivers so i picked best soundblaster i have found.
    cant really advice on card reader too. i use usb multi reader and i dont have any problems with it. also if you going after 1600p monitor consider that dell 3014 i have linked before has build in card reader http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-u3014/pd
  25. tigasport New Member

Thanks Received:

Concerning the Dell monitor. I have been tempted to buy one, but will my internet push graphics that nice? If I'm watching Netflix, can I get above 1080? I have fast cable internet, but not sure what king of resolution I can get from it.

As for the build here is the completion: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/tigasport/saved/cv448d
    I took some advice from you and Layton on the build. Some parts from your recommendations and some from his. Let me know your thoughts about the final build which I think everything will work together and the monitor. Thanks for you help.

Sorry, here is the permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ghvTP6
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014