1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Build issue - going crazy

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Purds232, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Purds232 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    I have completed my first computer build, I tried to take it nice and easy and didnt rush it. Had some teething issues but in the end I think I completed it all.

MY ISSUE: when I turned on the computer with the motherboard boot disc, the fans, lights come on, it beeps briefly, the screen comes on and an image from the disc appears briefly, then after about 2 seconds the screen goes blank with the words 'loading operating system...' it then hangs like this for about 3-5 minutes before the screen goes to sleep. The fans and computer are still on but nothing happens. Please don't assume I have missed anything obvious...

Any suggestions welcome... PLEASE... I'm already 6 hours into this process and if I had any hair I'd be pulling it out right now :)

Thanks in advance

Graeme

2. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Are all the parts new, ie:hard drive etc.

Any way the machine seems to be posting OK.

You now need to go into the mother board BIOS and check the settings there ie:Time/Date,Memory Settings and Boot Order.

In the boot settings you will have to set your DVD drive to first and then your hard drive second.

Then boot with your Windows disc in the DVD and install windows.

3. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    What do you mean by the motherboard boot disk? Is is an OS installation CD or the CD that came with your motherboard?

4. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Can you list your specs too please.Also can you fill in your system specs in the usercp at the top.It will help us to help you :)

5. Purds232 New Member

Thanks Received:

Ah... OK
    To answer the other post, the disc I had put in the computer was the disc that came with the motherboard. I see if I dont use it I can navigate from the first image that comes up to the BIOS set up, it's a little confusing to see where I set the DVD as first... will let you know how I go
    MANY THANKS...

6. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    If you list the mother board name/type we may be able to help.

If it came with a user manual it will tell you there.

7. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    That's the wrong disk, you'll need to installs windows, then use that disk for motherboard drivers(audio/networking/RAID)

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Purds232 New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, I tried the Windows disc but I assume as it was not looking at the DVD but probbably the hard drive it did not start reading it?? I will keep looking in the BIOS for the setting change and then try the Windows disc
    THANKS.. this is my first time on here, but it is a great forum, thanks folks

9. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    look in your bios for setting for boot priority or boot order, anything even closly resembling that, you'll know you have the right setting when you can set your hard drive as the first boot device.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    give me a second, I'll take a pic real quick of my bios showing what I'm talking about\

BRB 3-5 MINS

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    it's listed under advanced bios setting in my bios

[​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Purds232 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, found the boot options and have it reading my CD drive first. I have inserted the disc and it seems to be working as it downloads drivers etc. (the disc is a recovery disc for my old computer)
    The odd thing is that my monitor goes to sleep as if it has no signal after about 1 minute and apart from some simple drivers does not do much else...
    I have tried a number of times, it seems to download the old drivers from my old set up then once it got as far as a Windows set up screen, which offered options of recovery etc... but then again my monitor goes to sleep...

Thanks for the screen shot by the way

13. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Unless you are using the exact same hardware as the old PC then that disc will not work.

You will need a new Windows DVD and key to install with the new PC

14. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Recovery disk=FAIL!!!:eek: Yeah, you need an actual Windows disk asap. If you install Vista or Win 7, then you probably will not need the driver disk that came with the motherboard. However, I'd still install the latest graphics drivers for whatever card you are running.

15. Purds232 New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, atleast it seems the computer is working. Thanks for getting me this far

16. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    You may find even if your bios is set to boot from your hard disc that there is a key you can press on first boot to access a boot menu so you can select which device you want to boot from.On my board it is F8,it is useful as i can put a disc in and just press F8 to boot from it rather than going into the bios and enabling dvd as first boot device.Your board is an asus as is mine so i assume it will have this feature on it.