1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Build Issues - Sandybridge

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Jasper005, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Jasper005

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys, need a bit of advice (maybe a lot :shadedshu)

Just put together a new build, all went fine. Booted first time, installed windows 7 no probs. I updated most of the drivers and started installing some software and windows updates. It was left on overnight and all seemed fine.

I ran the Asus CD that came with the MB to install the chipset drivers and what have you. Then I restarted and I got a blue screen of death. However I think this is just coincidence now. However at the time I thought the chipset driver were likely to be the problem, so I tried to reinstall windows. But now windows won’t install and just blue screens! It gets to expanding files, does that for a few % (different every time) then dies!
    Most of the blue screen messages seem to be relating to memory, but there are a fair few different ones. The one I’ve noticed a lot is PFN_LIST_CORRUPT.

Here are a few things I’ve tried and failed with...

Remove and reseated all of the components
    Updated to the latest BIOS
    Removed all SATA drives except the DVD drive and SSD
    Attempted to install windows on the Samsung Spinpoint (same issue)
    Connected the SSD drive to a few different SATA ports
    Manually set the RAM to 1600 in the bios
    Disabled Internal PPL OV (In AI Tweaker)
    Set the BIOS to default settings

I can’t see it being a hardware failure as it was all working fine for a few hours?!? And the temps are all fine as well.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Here’s my list of components (Will update my sys specs if I ever get it working :banghead:...

Intel Core i7-2600K
    ASUS P8P67 Pro Intel P67 (REV B3)
    8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz RipjawsX Series for Sandy Bridge (8-8-8-24) Dual Channel kit
    Intel X25-M Gen2 Mainstream 80GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive
    1TB Samsung HD103SJ SpinPoint F3 SATA-II 3.5" Hard Drive
    Corsair 850W Corsair Modular PSU
    2X Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti 950MHz 1GB SuperOverclocked
    Corsair Memory Cooling Hydro Series H60
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - OEM

2. Cja123

Thanks Received:
    You could try installing the OS with a stick of ram removed. If it fails, remove that stick and replace it with the other until you find the culprit. It's an unlikely scenario, but it's not impossible for your hardware to go bad after it is initially installed and confirmed working. Since most of your BSOD are related to RAM, I hope the above method can help you narrow down this problem :toast:.

Jasper005 says thanks.
  3. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Most likely memory, and good advise here. However, there are a couple of other possibilities. Did you happen to set AHCI in the bios when first installing windows? If you did, then reset cmos, then you will get BSOD and windows will not load until you set it to AHCI again.

Jasper005 says thanks.
  4. Jasper005

Thanks Received:
    Progress!

Thanks Cja123 - I got windows to install on the second attempt after swaping the RAM out. So it does look like one of the sticks is faulty.

I'm still not sure its all working 100% though. Had a BSOD straight after windows installed - but hey I'm in now so thats a start! Plus I don't have to type huge posts on my phone!

Paulieg - Thanks for the tip, I haven't changed the AHCI settings and didn't do a CMOS Reset (just selected default settings again) either. When I installed the first time round I hadn't touched the BIOS.

Will try and figure out what is up with it now - the blue screen vanishes before I can see anything! I may be back!

Thanks guys

5. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    to make sure your RAM is OK, i suggest that you run memtest86+ for at least one complete loop.
    you can easily run it from a bootable USB stick.
    Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7)

if it passes one complete round, run it for few more hours just to be sure. say, run it overnight.

if that also doesn't give errors, then your RAM is most probably fine. let us know how it goes.

don't worry, we'll figure out what is wrong. be a bit patient. :)

6. harambasha New Member

Thanks Received:
    any progress man? try loading XMP profile from BIOS?

I run into some memory issues where it was recognized as only 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 although it should be 1600mhz 6-9-9-24.
    AsRock Z68 Pro3-M mobo here.

First I updated BIOS (original was 4 versions older!) now it shows 1600mhz in BIOS but in Windows still 1333mhz and 9-9-9 timings.
    Then, in BIOS under DRAM configuration, found an option to load that Intel compatibility thingy called XMP Profile 1 (=factory tested and coded 1600mhz 6-9-9-) and that's it all good now.