1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New build, Not sure on everything Check over please!

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Play3r, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Play3r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys

Just wondering on thoughts for this build and possible changes, it is for a friend how is start from scratch cheers :toast:

Processor: Intel 3570k $227
    Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 $179
    RAM : Kingston Hyper X 16GB 2x8GB $88
    Graphics: 2GB 7870 MSI Hawk $249
    Graphics: 2GB 7870 MSI Hawk $249
    SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB $176 or OCZ Vertex 4 256GB $229
    HDD: Seagate 3TB $145
    PSU: Corsair HX750-V2 $198 or Antec HCG 900 $155
    CASE: Corsair Obsidian CC650DW $199
    Cooling: Corsair H100 $125 or Noctua NH-D14 $84

All prices are based on this price list

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    swap the motherboard for the Gigabyte Z77 UP4, Get Vertex 4 SSD, get the H100i cooler
  3. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    Seems alright. Not a fan of MSI mobos myself though. Personally I would choose the OCZ drive over the sandisk, but that is only from personal experience as I have never had an OCZ drive fail on me or on friends (probably about 15 drives over 3 years). Might want to look at the 7970 boost oc cards as well. I've found that one card is more reliable than 2 cards in SLI/crossfire.

Also I would choose Corsair PSU as it is probably quieter than the Antec, but that choice is based purely on my opinion. Also I have found the AIO cooling loops pretty decent so I would probably get the H100 cooler and stick some Noctua fans on for quietness, but saying that, the Noctua D14 is pretty quiet as well and performs similarly sometimes a tiny bit worse than the H100.
  4. Play3r New Member

Thanks Received:
    The reason I am going for the 7870s is that i have looked at quite a few reviews at it seems that overclocked the hawk can perform as good or even better some times than a stock 7970 and there is at least a $150 price difference.

I have one of the Sandisk SSD and haven't had any problems but yeah not sure on other brands so good to know hat ocz seem to be reliable.

Any reason you dont like MSI boards?

Any reason for recommending the gigabyte as it is about $40 more expensive
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
  5. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Please do no doulble (or triple, etc...) post:)
    Carry on
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. saknid

Thanks Received:
    In my view your build is all fine and yes do consider the Corsair for PSU as I am using it and are really nice...(Don't have any idea about antec) Apart from that try to go with a 850 based PSU...
  7. Play3r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, to many tabs open + refreshing
  8. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    Yeah build seems good to me mate. I might have to agree with egg saying that one 7970 would be more beneficial than two 7870s and cost less if you can source the right one. But all in all theres probably not much wrong with xfire 7870s. ;)
  9. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a nice build:toast:
    Are you planning to overclock the CPU and/or GPU's? I would look at Dave's (Cadaveca) motherboard reviews. They are very helpful. It would help us help you if we knew what you are planning to do with the PC..

No worries!!!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure if you get umart in Perth, but Umart stock Gigabyte 7970 OC editions (which are the same as the stock 7970 boost cards) and with the triple fan windforce X3 cooler - an excellent cooler i might add - for $409, so actually $91 cheaper than the crossfire 7870 cards.

Hmm and for not liking MSI, well there support is lacking in Australia, and I've found that their quality for mobos can be a bit dodgy at times. But times have changed so it might be better now.
  11. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I actually love MSI motherboards, I have an older version of the one you have listed originally (MSI P67A-GD65) and have had nothing but wonderful experiences with it, plus it looks super sexy. I say go ahead with the MSI mobo, otherwise if you want to shave some cost ASRock makes fantastic motherboards these days.

I would also reccomend either getting an Nvidia GTX 680 or an AMD HD7970. I have a friend that just replaced a crossfire setup and he said he never plans on using one again because of the issues he had--basically waiting on driver updates to allow him to play games with optimal performance. I mean, you'd probably get better performance with 2 7870's, but if a game doesn't adequately support Crossfire, you're stuck with essentially 1 7870. With how much you're shelling out, is it really worth it?

As for the SSD, if you can get one I've heard nothing but great things about the ADATA SSD's, and it looks to be a bit cheaper than the OCZ with similar performance. Otherwise definitely the OCZ one. SanDisk SSD's aren't bad, but I trust companies like OCZ and ADATA a lot more.

EDIT: Also, if you're spending this much why not spring for an i7? It's a noticable improvement over the i5.
  12. Ed Palmer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I also don't recommend MSI. their products have higher failure rate but doesn't have RMA center in Australia for quick swap.:shadedshu
    Motherboard and vga card can switch to ASUS or gigabyte. GBT Wind Force can be your options. As for memory, G-Skill can have better overclocking performance. for the rest, all they looks fine.
    THE_EGG says thanks.
  13. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Completely agree with this. Everything else looks fine:cool:
  14. Go To Sleep

Go To Sleep

Thanks Received:
    Stick with the MSI board. Get the OCZ Vertex 4.
  15. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    This.
    Also single card is more inherently reliable than two cards. Get a 7970 for cheaps rather than two 7870's. When those 7870's dont cut it anymore, what are you going to do? Buy a whole new card/s? I'd rather add a 7970 two years down the line to add to an already owned one.
    My brother is using the sandisk SSD, I am impressed, nothing wrong with those, but if there are cheaper OCZ's, go with those, I know a lot of people use them.
    I remember Dave telling me he doesnt have much experience with MSI MoBo's, he mainly reviews others, and often advises me on the gigabyte's. So take it from a reviewer and go with gigabyte.
  16. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I don't know know why everyone is saying to stay away from the MSI board when the MSI Mpower is one of the best 1155 boards. I've been using my Z68A GD80 gen3 board for about a year now. If I was to replace it today, I'd buy another MSI board.

BTW, here is Dave's (cadaveca) review of the MPower(the GD65 is one step down from the MPower)- http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/Z77_MPower/
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    That GD65 is an excellent board,as for SSD's they perform about the same and i have heard good things about both,as for the CPU cooler get an H100i.

EDIT:from looking over your current system i would say theres no need to upgrade if its just for 1080/1200p,hold out with what you have a little more.
  18. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    The OP says it is for a friend. So can't compare to the OP's system for upgrading.
    Jack1n says thanks.
  19. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    These prices for parts are extremely cheap for Australia.
  20. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Oh missed that part.
  21. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, prices here have dropped quite a bit for a lot of things recently. Cars, houses etc. Two years ago I paid $290 for my GB P67-UD5 board and now you can get the new Z77 version with wifi and all the extra bits for under $230.
  22. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Also compare someones wages at Fast Eddys to someone working at McDonalds here in the US. Hell, we just recently started forcing them to pay atleast $7.35 instead of $5.15.
  23. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    Wow I didn't think it was that low 0.o That sucks :( A friend of mine works at mcdonalds and gets paid $16 something an hour.

To OP, as someone else said. I would actually get G.Skill ram if it were up to me. I've had one kingston kit die on me but never any G.Skill. I still regard Kingston as a top-notch brand though from reviews and user reviews I've read. And also as someone else said, I'd lean towards the 850W version of that corsair psu, just in case your friend wants to get another card in the future (that is if you go with the 7970 I mean).