1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Build Possibilities

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Versalius02, Jul 16, 2010.

?

For a high end gaming system, what would you choose?

1. High speed mechanical for boot and games, large capacity for data

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Small SSD for boot, large mechanical for games and data

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Large SSD for boot and games, large mechanical for data

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  4. Other (Please explain)

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Versalius02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, I'm planning on building my first gaming desktop in a couple months and I'm still up in the air about my storage setup. I'm looking to get a decent speed and reliability boost when compared with mechanical drives (I'm paranoid as hell when it comes to HD failure so RAID 0 is out of the question w/mechanical drives).

Note: Data = Music & Movies

Options:
    1) Stick with both mechanical drives. WD Raptor for boot and games, Samsung 1 TB F3 for data
    2) Small capacity SSD for boot only (maybe a game or two), Samsung 1 TB F3 for games and data
    3) Large capacity SSD for boot and games, Samsung 1 TB F3 for data

For the sake of comparisons, let's say that price isn't a [major] factor (I'll still be taking it into account, but I really want my first gaming desktop to be much faster than my current gaming laptop).

I've been looking at:
    Small SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL60GB-DX 2...
    Large SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL240GB-DX ...

From the specs of each, I'd say they're both OCZ Vertex 2s in disguise, but they're also both cheaper than their Vertex 2 counterparts.

What does everyone think? :respect:

2. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    RAID 0 for everything.

3. Versalius02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Interesting. Seems the majority of people so far favor the large SSD option. Here's to hoping the prices drop quite a bit in the next couple months as I've seen quite a few SSDs on Newegg go on sale recently.

If you mean RAID0 SSDs, then I'm still waiting for the tech to mature a bit more before doing that. If you mean RAID0 HDDs, I'm just too paranoid when it comes to my data to do that, even with Western Digital and/or Samsung drives.

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I use a SSD for my O/S. For storage and important stuff I use a single large mechanical HDD. For games I use two HDD's in Raid 0. I prefer this setup over anything else I've used so far.

5. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I use the same setup. Less the SSD. DAMNIT :( That will be coming soon. Nice setup BTW.

The fear of data failure of RAID-0 drives is really overblown IMHO, and a large backup drive can solve this problem, and is a good idea anyway. If you have a good current backup, what is the fear of data failure anyway?

6. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    i got the same setup too, 60gb vertex le, 2 x 300gb vraptors in raid 0 and 1tb black for storage

If i had the money it would be one large ssd and a 2tb for storage.

7. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I guess for me it depends on your price range. I have been on a budget for some time, so I can't afford to spend too much on my personal indulgences.

I like Erocker's setup, but if you have the cash to burn I say go Large SSD (128 to 256 GB) for OS/Games, Large storage HDD for stuff.

8. Versalius02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Small SSD for boot, RAID0 HDDs for games, and a large HDD for data sounds like a speedy setup, though I'm still wary about RAID0 even though I have NEVER had a Western Digital drive fail on me in the five years I've had them (I've got 4 external and 1 internal). It's just that I understand they do fail rarely which just feeds the voice in my head saying to avoid RAID0 unless I take the dive and RAID SSDs (still waiting for full TRIM support with all manufacturers to do so).

I always have external backups, but if I really wanted a backup in a desktop couldn't I just go with RAID1? Automatic backups are nice, even if they take up a HD slot. I guess I could just buy a 1 TB external for backups.

Still on the fence about what my own setup will be...