1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Build, strange shutdowns, please help!

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by ConveX, Jul 2, 2013.

1. ConveX New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I have recently built my own computer, here are the specs:
    Xygmatek Tower
    MSI GTX 770 Lightning Edition
    Corsair 16GB 1600mhz RAM
    AMD FX-850 8-Core CPU
    Corsair Neutron SSD (Main Drive)
    Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Storage Drive)
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard
    TP-Link Wi-Fi Adaptor
    Cooler Master Platinum Silent Pro 1000W
    ---
    So my issue is: During semi-common stages (every hour or so) my computer monitor will go black, the case fans occasionally go really loud suddenly (this doesnt happen often) and after 10 or so seconds the computer monitor will display the boot up-screen and the computer loads itself again. The error issue I receive is:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 116
    BCP1: FFFFFA800D7A0010
    BCP2: FFFFF880051E1C9C
    BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
    BCP4: 0000000000000004
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 768_1

Also here are the extra files that may assist in finding the solution are here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?s83a71txw4l27m5
    http://www.mediafire.com/?cqcps7dl44wrst6
    (sorry about mediafire but this forum wont accept .dmp or .xml files)
    ---
    So a solution or diagnosis as soon as possible would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

2. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    From what i can see from the little bit of research i have just done it could be video card/drivers in relation to the Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem.

the only thing I can suggest is to uninstall all video drivers cleanly, re install motherboard chipset drivers, then do a fresh install of your video drivers and see how that goes, it appears to be windows "forcing" a shutdown for a video related issue.

3. ConveX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so, maybe nooby question, when you say "cleanly uninstall all video drivers" and "reinstall motherboard" how am I supposed to go about that? I know how to insall drivers but not so certain on how to reinstall or uninstall them, thanks for the fast response by the way :toast:

4. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Use an app like driver sweeper to do a clean uninstall, you can find it here:

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/driver_sweeper_download.html

You should be able to use that programme to also uninstall current motherboard chipset drivers.

Just go to your motherboard manufacturers site and download the most recent chipset drivers before you do the uninstall so they are sat on your desktop ready for the re-install, once chipset is done,you can do a fresh install of video card drivers.

Download for motherboard chipset drivers.....

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULAZ/#support_Download

5. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    You are actually getting a blue screen of death(BSOD) but can't see it because it comes so quickly and gets away that the monitor can't switch resolutions so fast(BSOD is displayed on 640*480). Do one thing, before the starting windows screen comes up press F8 repeatedly and you should see the advanced startup options. Press F8 again and select "Disable automatic restart on system failure". Start the system. Wait for the problem to happen and post a photo of the screen.

6. ConveX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so one last question haha..
    How do I use the driver sweeper program to get rid of my graphics card and motherboard drivers specifically? I can't really see how to do that with the program.
    And which drivers do I need to download from the https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULAZ/#support_Download page?

Thank you so much for your continued support

7. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Use the link Tatty gave you, select which OS you are on, ie win 7 x64 etc, then click on the chipset section, and download the latest one, which for win 7 x64 is Version 8.973&9.01.

Also, if you are on win 7, do you have service pack 1 installed?

Tatty_One says thanks.
  8. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    With driver sweeper you get the option to uninstall various drivers you have installed, you obviously need to select the NVidia video driver files which it should list for you, as Tigger has said, for the Asus chipset drivers simply select what your OS is at the page I linked and it will take you to a list of available driver downloads for your operating system, such as LAN, audio etc but you will also see chipset shown there.

9. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    properties of mycomputer>advanced>startup>uncheck auto restart?

one of my most irritating default options, it helps no one to auto restart, the user's work is already lost, someone helping cant get info on the text, why cant they just write a message telling them to reset manually

10. ConveX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I have uninstall/reinstalled the video and chipset drivers, but, unfortunately and oh so frustratingly :( still the computer crashes.. Any other advice or help is appreciated.

11. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    You can try graphics drivers that came with the card, or latest betas, I know this is a long shot but maybe there is an issue with latest WHQL drivers and this particular graphics card.

12. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Funny that, I was using a AMD 5570 for aaages with no problems, put this gtx550 ti in last night, and within an hour, had the classic Nvidia "driver has stopped responding and recovered" I may have to switch back to AMD.

13. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    I suggest you try an older driver, like 314.XX, before you switch back. Seems like there is always some trouble with new drivers and previous gen. cards when new series comes out.

14. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I am, I'm using 314.22 as I'd read it was pretty good.