1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New caaard

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by floppers95, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Same here,i got mine for 425$ a while back and it was the cheapest possible price here in israel,the nvidia card that was priced about the same was a GTX570 so it was clear to me which card i wanted to get,it should still be considerbly cheaper in your country than a 7970 or a 670.

2. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    On that PSU you should have four Pci-Ex connectors that are 6+2, meaning an 8-Pin that has two detachable pin sockets that can be removed for 6-Pin use, and four 6-Pin connectors too.

In short, the only way you'd have trouble using a card that requires two 8-Pin connectors is if you actually lost 3 of your 6+2 Pin cables the PSU came with, or it was missing them in the first place.

3. floppers95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to bug you guys again. But about that PSU "problem". So I finally got a Sapphire 7970 HD vapor-x GHz edition with 3gb gddr5 ram. I watched an unboxing just so I would know what to expect... But mine is a little different then the one I saw on YouTube. Mine as two 8 pin connectors. I'm looking at my PSU manual and I can see the 2 extra pins on its 8 pin connector are black wires (one ground and the other sense, whatever that is :s ) So would I be able to just fit in a 8/6 pin connectors in there?

4. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    If your PSU is the one you listed in your opening post then it should have the required connections you need. And no i would not risk trying it with just an 8 and 6 pin connector.

5. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    Nice purchase!
    Don't do a ghetto rigging to expensive hardware lol. Just buy an adapter for your connectors or a PSU with the right connections.

6. floppers95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have looked at all 4 of them! :cry: .... and non of them has two 8 pin connectors. Only 1 6 pin connector and 1 6/8 pin connector! I think the 14day return policy is a bit overdue. What do I make of FOUR 6 & 6/8 pin connectors? I could use an adapter, but that would just seem stupid if I'm ever going to overclock it in the future... I have asked this once but I don't think I have gotten an reply on it. Could I plug 2 blue 8 pin connectors into my PSU, and only use the 6/8 connectors in the graphics card and leave the two 6 pin connectors hanging?

7. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    You sure there ain't 2 small pins hanging anywere? 2+6 = 8 that is how it is on one of my cables on my PSU.

Seems odd that such a powerfull PSU does not have 2 x 8 pin or maybe it does but you are worryed about not using the ones that are left over? If you have spare ones hanging don't worry as this is normal

sorry i miss read your post, So your saying you have 6 pin and 6/8pin if so then use the 8 pin ones and dont worry about the 6 pins there just spare and wont hurt if not being used

8. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    It should look like this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

if not, get one of these

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  9. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    I think the op has some 6 pin ones without the 2 pin to turn it into 8 pin, And also some 6 and 8 pin cables in one so just use the 8 pin and it wont matter if the 6 pin are hanging as they are spare.

10. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    plus its even more expensive with 20% tax (robbing ******) I envy the guys who get components at a reasonable price with average tax

11. floppers95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    IRRELEVANT!: I Don't want to show off but. I was able to sell my old Radeon Hd 6950 for almost 120£ (GBP) and bought the 7970 for 362.12£. Which I find be cheap, considering the cheapest GTX 680 I could find was 55£ more expensive.

Ok I have plugged it all in (using an adapter for the 1st 8pin PCIE power slot, since I'm only testing) My PC seems to be running as it should, even though only at the BIOS start screen and it says "No keyboard found" next line says "Press F1 to Run SETUP" I've always found that funny :p but yeah! Thanks for helping me make a qualified purchase and may others find any use of this thread cheers :toast:

I am loving my new "Sapphire"

animal007uk says thanks.
  12. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i bought the normal sapphire 7970 and love it, Mine is not so good for overclocking but this does not bother me one bit as i can still get 1050mhz out of it and all me games run sweet :D