1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Comp build, Need some help

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by andrewsmc, Oct 4, 2008.

1. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Ok, i got the comp all together and go to boot. with brand new HD and everything. When i try to set boot config to the CD rom so win xp will run, It wont boot it up. it says something about Insert right media and press any key to continue. Is this because the CD-Rom is not properly connected? Or the HD isint formatted? Any help would be great..
  2. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Bump?
  3. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is this a legal retail copy? Cause it sounds like the image on the cd is messed.
  4. Fastmix

Fastmix New Member

Thanks Received:
    do you have more than one cd/dvd drives?

If you do.....try using the other one, you should have another option in the bios to select which optical drive is the bootable.
  5. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    No, i do not have another drive. I can yank it from mine. Also, i bought it as a "DVD" drive. But wont a Dvd drive still run CD-rom's? And one other thing. i bought Windows XP for system builders... Thats what i should have bought correct?-- And yes it is a legit copy of windows
  6. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you double check the connection? Is it sata or ide? If the former try another port. Yeah systems builder should be the right one. Perhaps try to make another bootable cd, like memtest or ubuntu, and see if that runs at all.
  7. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I think its just the DVD rom... Maybe. I will yank one from mine here in a bit. But if anyone else has any other ideas please shoot them,