1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New computer parts advice are welcome

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Cotton_Cup, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    Hi I would like some help on choosing some parts for my 3960x system just those inside the case.

usage: really heavy cad, hd video etc. and gaming
    budget: 2,000$
    parts not needed: mobo,psu,processor,cpu cooler
    (parts i have)
    -i7 3960x
    -msi x79a-gd65 8d
    -seasonic x-1250 80+gold
    -noctua nh-d14

site for info: tigerdirect.com

I was looking at the kingston 32gb 8x4gb ram but at my local store there are gskill sniper 2x4gb cheaper if i buy 4 kit of 2, although i really want the gskill ripjaws z 16gb but sadly have to buy one online for that. so which ram is better based on reliability? for a 24/7 usage with a 10-30min rest every 2 weeks.

I'm planning on buying 1 quadro and 1 7970 sapphire and just swap.

For ssd I'm looking at corsair force gt 120gb. any advice?

I plan to run 1 gpu for now although i have a 1250w psu but I manage to get on for 200$(brand new) so I went with it. I'm thinking of getting a 680gtx next year and sli them.

of course I would need to fill in all ram slots since 8gb dimms are not available I need to use 32gb as a minimum standard. I can only get gskill or kingston ram, corsair are available too but only the tall one. (on my relatives pc he bought a built rig and has 24gb ram and when I do my work I'm almost maxing it at 22gb and it needed more)

planning on completing this system asap.

if possible i would like to go as low as possible w/o sacrificing 32gb ram oh and I'm looking at 1600mhz cl9 rams.
    oh and any advice on a keyboard? since mine is broke so I'm using on-screen keyboard.
    would like to buy the board within 8 hours.
    razer and logitech and tt are the brands available(gaming keyboard) got 300$ budget, my old 2$ kboard died 5 hours ago so i'm thinking of getting a great gaming keyboard.

2. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    honestly, that cpu isnt going to help in any situation you have. you need a good solid nvidia gpu or even multi gpu setup for that. tesla would be an even better idea if you are super crazy with the cad. if you arent going to go big on the ssd i would just get a caching ssd and use a good solid desktop drive for your os. also, you'll need as much ram as you can get. speed doesnt matter though. speed wont help with cad. you just need alot of ram and a good video card setup. CUDA will help alot with large renders

oh and, 8gb sticks are available. they are server grade ecc. 8gb sticks will cost you a ton of money though. i had 96gb's in my machine that i ended up selling for $2100

3. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    Reason why I went with this
    -i7 3960x
    -msi x79a-gd65 8d
    -seasonic x-1250 80+gold
    -noctua nh-d14

the noctua Nh-d14 se2011= 65$ (1 year warranty from my dealer and 6 years distro warranty)
    msi x78a-gd65 8d w/tt frio= 240$ (2years warranty from my dealer)
    seasonic x1250 80+gold=200$(2 years warranty from my dealer)
    i7 3960x=850$ (1 year)
    Total=1355$ then my discount of 80$ for a total of 1275$ overall
    (and an addition of less than 1$ transport fee) I know I can get a working system with an lga1155 with that money but the deals was great IMO.
    In most cases with 1275 if you want an LGA2011 3960X it would only be the CPU + ram or + cooler+ cheap psu.

I bought a quadro but I'll see if I'm satisfied with it, since I can still exchange it if I'm not satisfied with it by adding extra cash (if the one i want to exchange is more expensive)

this is the quadro I bought (waiting for it to be delivered)(but I didn't buy from newegg that's just reference
    PNY VCQ4000-PB Quadro 4000 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI E...

but I'm also looking at these
    PNY VCQ5000-PB Quadro 5000 2.5GB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI...
    and this
    PNY VCQ6000-PB Quadro 6000 6GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI E...

I also bought a already used gtx550 so when i go gaming until 680 are released.

When I do my job when I rent my cousins x58 system for 100$ monthly. my usage are at 20-23gb
    with such little head room, I'm more of the type that likes a huge headroom so I'm getting 32gb well actually if i could get 28gb I would be happy with it but i don't think i can mix 2x2gb kits on my 4x4gb modules with problem free sticker with it.

It did cross my mind to go extreme and go with 8GB modules but then again no matter as how I think about it my ram usage would never go above 25-26gb but I do like the nice headroom but a 64gb kit of 8x8gb would seriously hurt my pocket, and less savings for the car I plan to buy.

so overall I would be happy with 32gb but I'm still waiting for cava's review on it in a few days before I pull any trigger on any ram if it's better to buy 8x4gb kits or dual 4x4gb kits.

But to be honest some greed inside me like the sound of 64gb even if I won't be using them but let's face it I like the sound of a new car better than 64gb ram.

4. Evolved

Evolved New Member

Thanks Received:
    I suggest CRUCIAL M4 for your SSD.

Otherwise, everything looks fine.