1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New cooler. Yes I know another, but any help appreciated!!! :D

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by alexp999, Jun 28, 2008.

1. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Okay. I'm looking at getting myself a new cooler.

1, Now i have a side window so I'd like it to look good. Preferably blue leds to match the rest of the case.

2, I dont want it to be very heavy. (bit worried about that) not much over the 500g recommendation please.

3, I am also worried about clearance. I have had to cut the corners off the freezer 7 pro fan and it literally just fits between the mobos heatsinks.

4, it needs to blow air from front to back (i.e not at mobo)

5, I'd like it to have a PWM fan to work with the Asus Q-fan thing in the bios. The freezer 7 pro PWM fan works really well with this feature

6, i would like it to be compatible with a 400FSB quad at about 3GHz. (i have quite good ambient temps here. Internal case temp measured at the top of the case is currently 28.5*C)

i have looked at the Zalman 9700 and Asus Silent Knight II. I am a bit worried about the clearance and weight of the zalman, but I'm also worried about the depth of the Asus, is it going to hit my exhaust fan??

Any help appreciated! i always leave thanks for useful posts!!

Cheers!
  2. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    No-one?? :(
    if it helps my avatar is a shot of the inside of my case.
  3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Check out the Xigmatek coolers man, I'm sure you guys can get them over that way. I have the S1283 that has the 3 large heatpipes, works great, keeps my Q6600 pretty damn cool, and now with the new 4-heatpipe version out there, and with DHT (Direct Heatpipe that contacts CPU), they are pretty damn good coolers imo. It doesn't necessarily meat your wants, but it will definately meet your cooling needs.

:toast:
    alexp999 says thanks.
  4. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I like the stuff i have heard about cooling of ones like the xigmatek. But they are really heavy and they arent "pretty" lol.

Thats why I seriously considering the Asus. I dont know whether the 9700 would clear the mobos heatsinks.

Anybody had any experience with either of the two mentioned. or got any good ones similar?

Cheers!!
  5. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
  6. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I for one will all ways tell someone to grab a xigmatek cooler... I even will have a new one come Monday.. The new S1284 that T_ski reviewed...
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Coincidentally, I own both the 9700 and the Xigmatek RS1283. I haven't tried the Xigmatek, Kursah do you think it would perform better than the Zalman? What kind of temps do you get with RealTemp? Alex, I'm pretty darn sure both coolers will work on your motherboard, as I use a Rampage Formula. The Zalman has a great mounting system, and if you go for the Xigmatek be sure to get the bolt-on kit. The push-pins are not only extremely difficult to use, once attatched properly, it severely warps the motherboard.
    alexp999 says thanks.
  8. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Believe it or not I've heard the S1283 actually cools better due to the heat pipe design on the S1284's. Might want to look into that a bit guys......
    alexp999 says thanks.
  9. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Only reason Im looking at the zero therm is cus it is only 638g. The 9700 is 764g.
    Then the xigmatek is 600g inc fan. :eek: . That is better than I thought. Why are the thermalright ones so heavy!!!!.

Looks kinda ugly the xigmatek and thermalright ones tho, do ya think? (please dont hurt me :( )
  10. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    We'll see come Monday.. Reviews and such show that it might cool better if you have a AMD chip... But, only ones that test it, will know it! :toast:
  11. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    If the xigmatek fitted over the mobo heatsnks, do you think I could replace the fan on it to a non black one?? I like the one on the s1284, lol!
  12. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    In my Antec900 with the Xig at 100% fan speed (around 1300-1400RPM), I am getting around 28-32C idle temps between cores, and 53-56C max under Prime x64 Stress at 3.6 @ 1.42v.

The lower idle temps are mostly due to the power saving features, drops speed to stock 2.4. I don't have the Zalman 9700, I know it's a good cooler, one thing that's impressed me with the Xig is it's ability to resist heat soak, sure it will hit higher peaks of temps, but with the larger heatpipes will drop temps up to 2-3C during the cycling of the liquid inside the pipes.

As-far-as the mounting of it using the push-pins, I have not noticed the complaints like others here have, it was slightly more difficult than the AC cooler, but holds very tightly, I could pick up the MB w/cooler attached by the cooler and it won't budge one bit, to me that's great clamping force. I've installed and uninstalled the Xig approx 5 times, and the push-pins are good-as-new, clamp very tightly, and does not warp my MB. Sure it takes a bit of force to get the last pin installed, I usually just install 2 pins at the same time, makes it easier imo. The bolt-kits are good I'm sure, but at least in my view the extra clamping force wouldn't be necessary for most.

Hope that helps! :toast:
    alexp999 says thanks.
  13. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    If you buy any 120mm fan, you can get it to work.. also, you can set the CPU differently in order to get it to fit... I did force my S1283 to fit over my Blood Iron NB...
    alexp999 says thanks.
  14. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I have my Xig exhausting vertically to my 200MM exhaust fan, clears fine that way, horizontal exhaust would require modifying of the cooler (bending some fins on the lower LH corner).
    alexp999 says thanks.
  15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With these HDT coolers it's all about using excess thermal paste. I like to put my finger in a plastic bag, sqirt some MX-2 on the heatsink and rub the thermal paste into the crevices slowly and surely to make sure there are no air pockets. Then two lines along the aluminum edges as detailed in the pic. I've personally tried many different ways to apply the compound and this way by far works the best, especially under load.
    [​IMG]
    thoughtdisorder and alexp999 say thanks.
  16. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I own bothe the Xig 1283 and the Zerotherm NV120, and I prefer the Zerotherm. Cooling performance is very similar, but it looks better and has better clearance over NB heatsinks.
    alexp999 says thanks.
  17. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I'm so confused as to which one to get now. And which way way does the fan blow, it looks like it is setup to suck the air through the HS as opposed to normally blowing it.
  18. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    Actually, there is a never version of the NV120 available, though it is really hard to find. I happened to stumble upon it from a product tester. So, I have an NV120, if you were interested.
    alexp999 says thanks.
  19. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    You are correct, but it pulls the heat back toward the exhaust fan..rather effectively.
    alexp999 says thanks.
  20. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    i still prefer the look of the zerotherm. is it much bigger than say a freezer 7 pro, cus that is what i have now. i also prefer the mirror finish on the zerotherm and the fan, and the finish, lol. but I wanted to know how it compared to some of the others and what people on here thought of it. If I can get it to fit. cus it seems pretty big. i found a pic on another forum searhced in google that shows there is a clearance of 32mm from the base of the zerotherm to the first fin. And i suppose you have another 5-10mm or so cus of the cpu socket.
  21. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Probably cost more to ship to the UK than to buy here new, tho, lol!

How do you the difference in the versions. What has changed??
  22. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
  23. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    LOL..didn't realize you were across the pond. :)
  24. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    The dimension of 150mm I assume is the height, does that include the ends of the heatpipes. i think it should just fit in the case!!! If you reckon it has better clearance it looks like the one to get. seems to be ticking all my boxes.

onoly last thing to check is whether the asus q-fan works with a 3pin cpu fan connector??

Cheers!
  25. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received: