1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New CPU + New Mobo = Reformat?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1nf3rn0x, Jan 28, 2013.

1. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Finally I'm putting my 775 system to rest. Basically would I need to reformat or can I use my current OS hdd with no problems with the new board, cpu and memory installed?

2. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    Uhmm I have gone from AMD to Intel swapping Motherboard Memory and Ram, and not needed a re-install. I guess it just depends? Window's 7 of course.

3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would reformat. If you don't want to do it, I would suggest cleaning out all of your old drivers. Since reformatting seems to take less time than doing all of that, I never bothered.

1nf3rn0x, MxPhenom 216 and cadaveca say thanks.
  4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it's luck of the draw. Sometimes it works.. sometimes it doesn't.

What matters most is what ACHI drivers are used. So, to make it most likely, it's best to switch the MSACHI driver for HDD, and to un-install any other board-specific drivers and software first.

I swap boards a lot in testing, in the end, I find that fresh OS install always works best.

Oi, you put it so much more simply than I ever could have. :p

1nf3rn0x and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
  5. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    I used to buy a new HDD instead of reformatting :laugh::toast:

And cleaning out old drivers with something like Driver Fusion should do the job? I think I might reformat anyway. It's been a while since I have.

6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I don't like apps like that. I always use whatever uninstall routines come with the software or driver, and manually remove any left over registry keys.

It's some work though, so I'd recommend format. And yeah, I tended to buy a new HDD as well, before doing reviews. Now I gotta use the same drives to keep results consistent, and fresh OS install really helps ensure I do get that same "fresh" OS environment with every board I test. I just use an additional mechanical to keep all the stuff I need to save from board to board like the testing apps, etc. Even that kinda mimics what most users will be doing now, I suppose, with SSD on OS, and other stuff on mechanical.

7. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Yep I've got my spinpoint as OS with everything installed, then my seagate has everything on it that my OS does. So when I reformat it's as easy as reinstalling everything that I need without the hassle of downloading and finding the programs, which isn't much.

8. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    i have had windows 7 go from a 945p chipset to a 780g and sb750, to a 880g+sb850 to a 970fx but that was the only time it went so well i have had other computers that didn't go so well and needed a full install

generally if its a similar chipset you will be ok 780g>880g or g41>g43

9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7 is more lenient to hardware changes than XP was but erocker and dave are right. If you have nothing to loose or its already backed up then do a format to be on the safe side but if you do not want to, you can backup everything then move to the new hardware to see if it works for you.

As others I have been through many hardware changed without formatting and never had issues. Just delete the old drivers before the change.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, to get the full potential of your new hardware, I would reformat and reinstall like everyone has suggested. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Reformat to avoid any chances of the system not running to it's full potential due to who knows what which doesn't agree with the new hardware.

12. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    reformat always. even if it does work, it will be sluggish and act weird.

13. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    The only times I've ever switched new hardware and kept OS was with AMD platforms. It didn't cause any weird problems. Just had to uninstall some drivers and reinstall new ones for the new motherboard. If you want to be safe then reformat or take your chances.

14. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Never reformat, ever!
    As long as you are prepared to do a little work, you can keep your system just the way you like it.
    Right before you migrate:
    - uninstall all mobo-related devices from the device manager
    - run a driver sweeper program to remove the last bits of everything mobo-related
    - shut down
    Then migrate to the new HW, let Windows reinstall drivers and install additional drivers when needed.

Seriously, it's always worth a try. I've migrated from desktops to laptops this way. Ofc you will need to reactivate Windows.

15. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Your best option is to just reinstall Windows. When Windows gets installed on a particular system Windows loads in a bunch of system-level drivers for more than just the chipset and CPU that you never even have to think about when you install Windows. You can see them when you look at system devices in the device manager. When you switch to completely different platform Windows won't need a lot of these drivers that were needed in the past and there is no safe way to remove some of these drivers. So even if you're not using them, Windows scans and attempts to load them when the system starts. I'm sure there are other instances in Windows that cause things like this to happen, where orphaned data isn't cleaned up and such.

My rule of thumb is if the motherboard has to change then Windows should be re-installed.

16. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I changed from an E3110 to an i5 2500k without the need to uninstall drivers or reformat. But, i think it's still better to do a reformat. Backup, try it and see if it works. You have nothing to lose.

Oh i also migrated an SSD from my i5 to an i3 laptop, no issues.

17. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    ^^ I agree with the above statements. The new Windows 7 and 8 are pretty smart with auto installing drivers for hardware. I haven't installed any hardware that it doesn't instantly recognized and installed the correct driver. Especially with networking devices, the windows ones are almost always the best version.