1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Crysis High-End benchmark released

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMailMan78, Feb 10, 2010.

1. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know what your saying, but you also have to realize the res they where playing at too. :toast:

At that res and that amount of AA it takes a kick ass card to power the most graphically demanding games out there at those settings. Crysis being on the top of the chain still.
  2. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    1Kurgan1 and PP Mguire say thanks.
  3. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sweet thanks, ill check it out.

I already have an extreme quality mod posted a while back but i want it to look even better.
  4. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    7-Zip FTW!
  5. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    You mean rar right?
  6. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Not a chance, 7-Zip (both the [free] program and compression format) FTW over RAR/WinZip/WinRar.
  7. newconroer

Thanks Received:
    It's not silly to think that Crysis still taxes and may continue to tax GPUs, because all the GPUs then and now and the upcoming ones this year still use the same underlying architecture - and all the usual bottlenecks and crunches involving the texture memory, texture filling, bandwidth, shader, shader unification etc.etc. are still prevelant and very relevant. This will not change until either the hardware, the software or both moves in different directions.

As for the time of day and "Blue Sky" mods. Well they do help things look a bit more interesting, as most of Crysis(especially the first one) has a kind of 'dry' look to it. Anyone remember the mission near the end of Crysis, after you get out of the alien/frost lands, and make your way down the road while it's light drizzling? Or the one a bit into Warhead, where it's dense jungle and you start on top of a rock/waterfall while it's raining? The rain and water is done quite well, and the plant life/flora seems to come to life, giving a closer representation of that we saw in a lot of the promotional videos and/or these time of day modification screens.

Though when you actually play them, it's not quite as thorough as the pictures would show. That doesn't mean they aren't worth it, but it does hint to the claims that Crysis was dumbed-down in order to be playable.

I hear a lot about a poorly optimized engine, and actually I claim it's the opposite, especially considering what it was doing. How many other games can have almost no input lag and still be somewhat smooth at low 20 frames per second? Because Crysis was. Try a game like Risen, STALKER or Far Cry 2, and it was a chop fest.

Crysis set a massive bar for Direct X games, and I respect what Cervat and his team(s) accomplished. I look forward to the upcoming engine(s).
    a_ump, Nick259 and TIGR say thanks.
  8. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Well said newconroer. :toast:
  9. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Now then, if 6xxx will actually beat crysis, everyone will be so happy.
  10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My 5 series does just fine. ;) Besides it doesn't take a great graphics card to beat Crysis, just a mediocre gamer at best. :laugh:
  11. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Crysis is still a pain, but my 280 would do it at all max settings at 1920x1200 and 8x aa smooth as butter. My 280 would do Warhead at 16x aa, all enthusiast, very fast. All with driver settings at high quality, and supersampling. Now on my 9800gtx, only quality, no sampling, 4x aa, slideshow.... The gtx2xxx series was capable of maxxing out crysis.
  12. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Not a surprise, really. Massive bandwidth and memory increases alone would help the game a great deal.
  13. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Fermi is said to be built from the ground up, so if that is true then NVIDIA has a power hungry monster that should tame Crysis & Crysis 2:)
  14. Lampmaster

Lampmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know of a way to just play the level? Without the flying camera thingy?
  15. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok guys I think the german website that has these files maybe spreading a trojan. IF you use these files do so at your own risk. I feel horriable I posted that link on TPU. I has no idea.
  16. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    off with your head!! :mad:

:p but really, any conformation on this? i haven't unpacked it yet, but none of the tools at my disposal have detected anything within the package :confused:
  17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Not the file itself but the website.
  18. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nothing here so far.
  19. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I knew I would find you here MailMan. :laugh: Your a good man for sounding the warning. If you did contract a problem a few of us here @ TPU have delt with it or its siblings already , just hit me up and we will get it taken care of. :toast:
  20. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    those screenies sure looked detailed!
  21. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i think they did a good job on that side of it but i thought story and gameplay was a pile of rubbish.

All i'm saying if they could add a story like what The Witcher\NWN1\ME\Max Payne\BS\Overclocked it be a hell of a sweet game. But just graphics i tend to just keep away from.
  22. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can see a certain company paying another company to build a benchmark so nasty that it makes people pounce on new hardware.. but that is speculation and im only saying it because Im sleepy lol

i would love to see a TPU user post results using a 4870x2 and a 5870 side by side.. just to see how close the 4870x2 keeps up with a 5870 and if the newer card actually has some untapped power that crytek has written for.. i dont know but 83% over a gtx285 sure has me thinking... i could see 20% or even 30% but 83%?

think about it
  23. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Crysis is either badly optimized or the developer is getting large money from graphic card makers imo. Crysis even taxes the HD 5970 at 1080p res in some cases :eek: I don't see this in games like Half Life 2 and Left 4 Dead 1/2 which look great and play fast with highest settings :D
  24. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wish my copy of crysis still worked : [
  25. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats because those 3 games use the same very aged engine that a 9800pro can play good on.
    Nick259 says thanks.