1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New custom machine - is it ok??

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by davidfox, May 9, 2008.

1. davidfox New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

I'm building a new custom machine, but im no expert and so wanna know in particular whether my RAM and MB will work together... Dunno about the PSU and video card needing to match up either - i wouldnt have thought it matters? Can you gimme any points about the compatibility of this machine. Thanks!! :)

Specs:
    Corsair 4GB (2x 2GB) DDR2 800 XMS2 (PC6400 - TWIN2X4096-6400C5) RAM Module Kit
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L V2 Intel P35 Chipset Socket 775 Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3Ghz Socket 775 CPU
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (OEM)
    MSI nVidia Geforce 8800GT 512mb Overclocked Edition PCI Express Graphics Card
    Samsung 500GB SATA II Hard Drive 16mb Cache 7200RPM (HD501LJ)
    Samsung SH-S202J 20x Black DVD Writer (IDE, OEM, Nero included)
    Thermaltake WingRS 100 Case (Black, 430W PSU - VG1430BNS)

Any thoughts n suggestions welcome. Im shopping at ITSdirect.com.au mainly for their awesome support.

2. Duxx Guest

Never been a big fan of the PSU's that come included in a case, if you can afford it, I would look for a separate PSU. Would hate to see your system go up in flames because of a crappy PSU.

3. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    seems like a pretty strong bugget build if you ask me. Id spring for a little more and go with OCZ's new 4gig flex kit<--for overclocking. Then id also get an 8800 GTS instead of the GT, BTW try to go with Palit. other than that sold gold!

4. das müffin mann

das müffin mann New Member

Thanks Received:
    ditto on that, i would definitely spring for a better psu if you can, maybe corsair they make excellent modular psu's trust me you will want to invest in a good psu it can save you a lot of hassle later

5. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh yeah get a good power supply i forgot about that FSP, OCZ, or PC Power and Cooling

6. davidfox New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whats Palit. mean?? Sounds like the PSU is important, but what Watts do i need? My budget is about at its limit, so i dont wanna spend much more. And I DONT do overclocking (sorry).

7. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    The psu is very important!! That is the one piece you dont want to skimp on.

8. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Palit is a brand name of video cards, supposedly good stuff.

9. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Palit is a company that makes video cards, both ATI and nVidia. They don't follow referance designs and tend to be cheaper than the compition. But theyre really good! wattage wise, with a good psu you could get away with 500 or 600 watts, that might even be overkill.

10. davidfox New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm... ok, bugger. That means changing the case and adding a PSU. I'm getting the system built by the store im buying from, so im slightly limited by their product range. I would just rather do that and get their warranty on it. So the RAM is compatible with the MB right??

11. Duxx Guest

Yah RAM will work fine, make sure is DDR2 240 pin and 800 or 1066 would be fine. Just dont go gimpy on the PSU. :)

12. department76

department76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    you might as well get a SATA cd/dvd drive also, no reason to use IDE unless you were re-using an old drive or soemthing

13. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
  14. davidfox New Member

Thanks Received:
    So why is the Power Supply so important anyways?? And what gonna be the difference between an SATA or IDE disc drive? You guys are crazy knowing all this stuff!!! But Im sure you love it eh?

15. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    PCP&C just makes really f**king great PSUs! period. they are probably the most stable out there. just google some stats on them compred to most other supplies, they usually are more stable and are more efficent than most other brands.

16. davidfox New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok... I'm looking at this combo (its the cheapest 500W package from that store):

Antec Basiq 500W Power Supply Unit
    Antec NSK 4000 Case (Black, No PSU)

17. Duxx Guest

Antec makes good cases, but many people have found problems with their PSU's. Corsair makes rock solid PSU's.

18. Dia01

Dia01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Understand the warranty part, but have a try buying the parts yourself, putting it together and we'll help you through your first build. Very satisfying and you'll learn sh!t loads.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  19. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    yeah, putting a computer together is no where near as hard as it sounds

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    you might as well just buildit yourself partly because you wont be restricted to parts you can get. Second, building your own computer is cheaper and is actually pretty fun to do. Plus we'll walk you though the building process. once you do it, youll never buy a prebuilt system again.

davidfox says thanks.
  21. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:

Agreed.

Where are you from anyways? If you are in the USA, Newegg.com is probably the best and usually the cheapest place to get PC hardware from...

22. davidfox New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im from Queensland in Australia, so newegg is too much postage. The store im dealin with are local so its much cheaper on postage n they have a good range with good prices...

You guys have convinced me to build it btw, so i hope that makes you all happy ;) Dropping the system build, warranty and O/S saves me bout $350, so thats pretty big. Now we'll see if i can make it work. I'll be coming back for help if i need it so dont leave me! Any tips in general about building a system?

BTW: whats your thoughts on overclocking? I'm not gonna get any water cooling or that stuff, but is it worth voiding the warranty and how often does it stuff up??

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  23. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    We'll be here. OCing in my experience has never caused any major issues or device short living. But thats just on my end, it all depends on how you approach it, I'm somewhat causious when OCing, and most motherboards now, have anti-failure measures in place..

24. Smartbomb

Smartbomb New Member

Thanks Received:
    Corsair PSU is good... made by Seasonic, my experiences in the past with Antec PSU's are good, just bought an Antec Earthwatts 500W for my Dad's build :)

25. davidfox New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I've made my rig... took coupla hours, and im gonna turn her on in the mornin since its 1am here in Oz, so fingers crossed!

Cheers to everyone for giving me some insight (and making me build it myself) :toast:

I'll see how it goes n let you know.