1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New F@H Team Members Post Here First

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by BUCK NASTY, Mar 14, 2009.

1. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, GPU2 can play along nicely with SMP if you set the priorities within the clients correctly. I would try FahTracker V2.

BTW, Welcome aboard Ross211!

:toast::toast:

Josh154 and Ross211 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. Ross211

Ross211

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

I also got a passkey setup. This FAH Tracker tool is much easier to use and configure than the default FAH SMP client. I'm gonna put this FAH Tracker V2 on the other Dell here Monday, but until then it can run the default FAH SMP client.

:toast:

xbonez, KieX and BUCK NASTY say thanks.
  3. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys think i am going join aswell with my username because i got nothing to do and whenever im idle i'll leave the program to run:
    [​IMG]

BUCK NASTY, msgclb, hertz9753 and 3 others say thanks.
  4. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the Team kurosagi...

Those 460's put out some nice PPD.

5. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    Thanks oily and yeah they sure do! :D
    [​IMG]
    Temps i am getting on my CPU are 60C and 460 is going at 62C

PhysXerror, BUCK NASTY and xbonez say thanks.
  6. meow1990 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello People.

I had joined team 50711 a couple of weeks ago.

I have finally managed to get my lazy ass to post here.

Its great to be a part of a folding team (apart from the fact that i lost points on a month + worth of folding without a team. dont really care about points though).

Hope my post count will go up quickly here.

Cheers.

PS. Running SMP on a 1090T @ 4.1GHz (~9000ppd) and GPU client on a GTX460 (870/1740/2200 @ 1087mV | ~12,000ppd)

7. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey bro welcome to the team! Your rig look's great and thats a nice stable OC on the 460 :D Do you happen to be xbonez friend?

8. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup, he's the one.

9. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool glad to see you recruited him!

10. meow1990 New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow that was quick.

yeah my evga 460 has been very accommodating to high clocks.

Only use this clock for folding though. Furmark burning test actually pushes the temps over 75 C.

11. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fermis have a max rated temp of 105, so I wouldn't worry unless you're hitting the mid 80s

12. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also what is your fan speeds set at? I have my cards set to 80% fan speed and honestly it doesn't bother me. It seems weird anymore to not hear my fans.

13. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    Give me an estimate of the points you lost. I will replace them for you under your username!

:toast:

14. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Buck is saving the day again! Way to go buck :D

15. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Shouldn't be more than a few hours for Buck...lol. Awfully generous, nonetheless.

16. hertz9753

hertz9753

Thanks Received:
    I lost 2 million point's when I switched. Buck, you were talking to me, right?:D

xbonez says thanks.
  17. meow1990 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bucky, do you have a castle full of computers where you sit on a throne overlooking everything? Its nice image in my head. Someday...

You dont have to go through the trouble, I thought I had a lot more points than what xbonez showed.

Thanks for offer. You guys are going to make spend a lot of money on upgrades in the near future.

18. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    Hertz, you've been here so long I had no idea you folded elsewhere:laugh:

F@H will put a real dent in your wallet. I've tried cutting back several times and have been unsuccessful. It's truly addictive.

19. hertz9753

hertz9753

Thanks Received:
    Bucky:p, remember the fishing nets and cookies with HWC? You're a naughty boy.:roll:

20. dna1x

dna1x New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi TPU!

I've been folding on and off under the name Danzown since Jan09. I mostly started folding for a college research paper on distributed computing but had to give it up after seeing my power bill. :eek: Folding, to me, is the coolest and most generous act one can do with their hardware.

So I started folding again early last month using the same old gtx 260 with the goal of breaking the top 100 before the New Year, which I did, thank you. Is it possible to break top 50 before the end of the year? Before September? I got new laptop to occasionally fold on now. The desktop will be going 24/7.

My new XPS15 laptop (i7-740qm + gtx 435m) has been SMP folding on all 8 threads for the past 5 days and has still working on the same WU. Is this normal? GPU folding is a little bit faster but can only do 3 WU per day tops. With 96 sps and gpu3, I thought it could do at least half the work that my archaic gtx 260 can. Is this a correct understanding?

Thanks in advance for any folding tips. I just installed FAH GPU tracker but still need to tweak it to get the most ppd.

21. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    No it is not normal to use more then 5 days on one WU. I fear that you are working on a -bigadv (2684, 2685, 2686, 2692 or 6900). Your CPU is not fast enough to meet the deadline and hence be getting bonus. Lose the -bigadv flag in your setup. What kind of PPD does FAH say you get?

22. dna1x

dna1x New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its about 1630 ppd. Should be finished with this wu by tomorrow morning. Just thought it would be cool to break in the laptop with some 24/7 smp folding. Won't be doing it anymore if it takes this long.

23. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What's the project on it? It sounds like your folding a -bigadv unit where as you should be folding -smp units only.

How did you setup your clients? Are you using FAH Tracker?

24. dna1x

dna1x New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was afraid it wouldn't be fast enough for -bigadv but oh well. A guy can still dream, no? I still got another 8 months before my next big build. Other than that, FAH tracker on the laptop was setup to use all 8 threads and stop when finished. It's not setup to use the gpu yet but I'll get to that when the smp is done tomorrow.

FAH tracker is not setup on the desktop atm. It's installed and ready to go but still curious on how to get the most out of that machine. It has an AMD 550 BE and a gtx 260. Unlocking a third stable core is more likely than having all four cores stable. Assuming three cpu cores, is it worthwhile to setup two smp cores + gpu 2?

25. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay so on that laptop, disable uncheck -bigadv after it completes this work unit. Then check -advmethods and allow it to use all 8 cores for the best PPD. So you can just check the use all cores button. Then to the right, just auto detect gpu's and it should automatically fold on it.

MAKE SURE, the laptop has good cooling, and you have it on a laptop cooler or some sort. Install real temp and throw us some cpu temps.

On the desktop, if you haven't tried yet, try unlocking both cores. I know a lot of phenom II duals can unlock to quads or tri's. Set all your OC's to stock, then work on getting quad stable, if you can't get it stable as a quad then go to tri. It should be stable at either one of those. If you need help getting the unlocks stable let us know and we will gladly help ;)

Setting up FAH tracker on the desktop is just like the laptop. Check use ALL cpu cores, and -advmethods, then autodetect gpu and make sure it's using gpu0.

Also, make sure you have requested a passkey from stanford as you wont get bonus points until you are using a passkey.

dna1x says thanks.