1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New gaming headset to replace Fatal1ty [thoughts on Razer]

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by newconroer, Jan 25, 2014.

1. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I realize that the OP has already made a choice, but I couldn't agree more. Everyone is mentioning multiple headsets they have had to replace, and it makes me a little flabbergasted. My AD700s are four years old and I'm sure I'll get another four out of them. It doesn't take very many mediocre headsets to equal the price of decent headphones, and they they wipe the floor with anything mentioned earlier in this thread.

newconroer and BumbleBee say thanks.
  2. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Lots of great replies here, and some thought provoking as well - thanks to this I can confidently try various headsets in the future should I need to.

I appreciate that gaming headsets do not equate proper headphones. I've picked the Carcharias because they were recommended as durable, comfortable and slightly better than HS800s in quality.
    In the meantime I will seek out more appropriate headphones for when I am not on the mic.

3. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    here is a hot tip. the Sennheiser HD518 ($79) I linked use the same driver and build as the Sennheiser HD598 ($250). it sounds different because Sennheiser uses different dampening and other materials inside the ear chamber. Sennheiser acoustic engineers are very clever.

4. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    this is the HD518

[​IMG]

this is the HD598

[​IMG]

both the HD598 and HD558

[​IMG]

Sennheiser updated the driver cover at some point to a solid one but other than that it's the same as the transparent one.

the grills on all three of them are different.

[​IMG]

the HD518 has a weird plastic grill with adhered logo. the HD558 has a piece of stocking over a plastic grill with adhered logo and the HD598 has a metal grill with painted logo.

the dampening materials are also different

the HD518 has a piece of black fabric and spider web structure.
    the HD558 has a piece of foam tape, black fabric and honey comb structure.
    the HD598 has a piece of paper and spider web structure.

all these minor differences give each headphone it's unique sound signature.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    newconroer says thanks.
  5. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I owned a pair of HS800s for about 5 mins before selling it to a friend. Didnt like the sound of it at all. Siberia V2s are great but they are more expensive than the HS800s so you get what you pay for.

6. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Freedom, what did you not like about HS800?
    I see you have a dedicated sound card. Did you enable 5.1? Did you try Razer surround?

I found that as a pair of plug and play stereo headphones, the HS800 were nothing special. It was when I used my Xonar software to do a 5.1 positioning and did a manual equalizer profile, that it increased ten fold(Note, not Dolby simulated - that's awful and reverberates badly).
    I later added Razer surround to fine tune some of the stereo and bass enhancements.

7. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    i'm going to try and do a headphone giveaway in a couple months if erocker ever messages me back. I want to buy a couple Sennheiser HD518 or Grado SR60i to help increase awareness because this forum sure needs it.

remixedcat says thanks.
  8. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I just didnt like the sound of them. they came across slightly muffled with not much in the way of mids or highs, tweaking the EQ just made them worse as they started to distort. I couldnt get the clear and crisp sound that i was looking for but they only cost me £20 anyway and i sold it for the same price so no loss on my part.

My friend isnt as anal about his sound as i am so i let him have it as he wanted a headset anyway

9. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    We shall see then concerning the Carcharias, as I was mentioning to GT, I am told they are a bit hollow in the mid range. Maybe a bit of EQ will warm them up.

10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    oh you mean hot garbage :)

11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Some of us have bigger heads than others.......:)

I had a set of BOSE for 6 years. Loved em. Just cannot afford another set. I KNOW OMG BOSE WHAT JUNK! But.....they lasted 6 years with rough use.

12. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    I had a pair of Caracharias both of them broke left side damage and lost sound in the left headphone. I resoldered the lead and it was fine. then I lost mic gain and switched to my current set of kaves. They are great comfy and work fantastic but the bass is a little lacking though I havent found it to be too much of a concern. I really like siberias and really considered them as well though.

13. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Solaris,

At what spot did they break? Could you circle it on a picture? Despite the solid framed shape of my HS800, none of the three have bent or cracked in anyway.

14. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    It didnt physically break it looked fine on the outside. the wires inside solder to a PCB on the inside of the can and they are short by nature so they break off of the PCB.

15. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Ah I see what you mean now about soldering the lead.
    Well let's hope I don't have to bust her out within the first year.

16. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    My friend had the Carcharias and drove them into the ground, did they break? no, they still are fine aside from not being able to hear on one side and the mic completely killed itself. So is it a good headset? oh yeah if it lasted him that long hell yeah, would I personally buy it? lol no, like I said I stay away from Razer. Just wanted to give you insight on your purchase and let you know, YES you made a good one, in the future I would get an AD700 and feel/hear the difference the only things that broke on my AD700s were the wings but I am willing the bet you could replace it, I ended up giving them to my Dad since he's a big sound guy (likes speakers home theater stuff)He loves them even after they've been burned in for 4+ years it's crazy.

newconroer says thanks.
  17. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    newconroer says thanks.
  18. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Hey v12, yes that exact combination was suggested to me already and I look forward to upgrading to it in the near future.

Very kind of you, thanks.

19. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
  20. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Hey Remixed. Thanks. I've already upgraded since then.

Glad it works for you.

21. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    You're welcome

22. MakeDeluxe

MakeDeluxe

Thanks Received:
    ^^ Hafta ask, how do those DT 770's feel on your head? Do they move around when you shake your head and so forth?

23. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Comfyyyyyy ^___^

24. Kovoet

Kovoet

Thanks Received:
    They are definitely comfy. I prefer the qpad qh~90

25. Doc41

Doc41

Thanks Received:
    I have the same headphone as in the picture of the first post, less than a month ago i asked in the forum for opinions on a new one but got negative feedback on the razer's i mentioned (apparently most of their products break quickly)
    after some research i got an HD 518, it doesn't have a mic but i don't use it anyway and everything else was way better than the creative, i didn't personally try razer headset's but i'm quite happy with my purchase as it will stay with me for a long time.

anyway good luck and enjoy your new headset :)

Crunching for Team TPU