1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New GPU - System cannot boot

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by sgtskywalker, Jul 12, 2013.

1. sgtskywalker New Member

Thanks Received:
    My specs:

Computer Unit - HP Pavillon HPE H8-1022
    Motherboard - Pegatron IPISB-CH2
    CPU - Intel Core i7-2600CPU @3.4 ghz
    OS - Windows 7 64-bit
    GPU - EVGA Geforce GTX 760
    PSU - OCZ Fatal1ty 750W
    Memory - 10G RAM

So recently I bought this new GTX 760 from EVGA and a new PSU (OCZ fatal1ty 750W) to meet the requirements (my old PSU was a 460 Watt. It wouldn't be able to run the card). I've had this computer since 2011 and never had a single problem with it. Upon installing the new hardware, when starting the machine, the HP start menu screen appears, followed by a beeping sound every 10-15 seconds and no response from the keyboard.

Obviously the problem must have been with the new hardware, but no. Restoring the old ATI Radeon HD 6770 (the one that came with my computer unit when I bought it) while keeping the new PSU, my system boots and works just fine. All games and everything else works with no hassle.

To test out the GTX 760, I installed it on another computer we have and it booted up and worked perfectly. So there hardly seems to be any issue with it either..!

I tried updating my BIOS, I tried the whole bunch of different connectors that came with my modular PSU to see if that might do the trick, with and without the extensions included with the graphics card. The GPU is a 6pin + 8pin one, and both were always connected. After around 8-9 tries, where I checked each time to see if the connectors and the card were connected and fitted like they should, I ran out of options.

Does the problem lie with the motherboard itself (an IPISB-CH2 by Pegatron), who might not be compatible with the GTX 760 or with Nvidia at all, or is it something between my PSU (its connectors maybe) and my Graphics card? I've found a lot of people with the same motherboard who're running GTX cards in the 500/600/700 series, so that might not be it. Maybe something with my unit in particular, or the card itself?

EVGA support suggested updating the firmware using the other computer on which the new GPU worked. When trying a screen appears for 1 second and half just to disappear as fast. I managed to PrintScreen it and all it says is some warnings about not turning off the PC and that it's searching for Display Adapters to update just to shut itself right after. Any idea on how to make it work? I've found BIOS updates for my GPU as well online. Is it worth a shot?

Here's what the tech said, if that's of interest :

Also since you do have other computers at your disposal you could try updating the firmware on this video card. You will need to rename the file to 2673_5C.zip in order to access the zip contents. Once the video card has been updated try testing on the HP computer.

Instructions on how to flash the firmware:
    Extract the files to a location on disk.
    Make sure no programs are running in the background, and double click update.exe.
    Press "Y", then ENTER to begin the update.
    DO NOT TURN OFF POWER OR RESET DURING THE UPDATE PROCESS!
    After update, restart PC.

Thank you all!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  2. Drakegore New Member

Thanks Received:
    Remove your RAM sticks and battery, wait ~10 minutes and try again.

sgtskywalker says thanks.
  3. sgtskywalker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for answering!

I'll give it a try and give you some news.

4. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    I believe this is an (in)compatibility issue between your motherboard and your VGA card.
    You said you tried updating your motherboard BIOS, is this the version you used (BIOS)? You could also ask HP for a solution, but they'll most probably leave you hanging with a smug observation that you should've upgraded to a card that's on the official list of supported hardware...

This is why pre-built PCs are a bad idea.

BTW, the original PSU was and still is capable of powering your new video card, albeit with non-optimal use of Molex -> PCI-E adapter cables...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    sgtskywalker says thanks.
  5. sgtskywalker New Member

Thanks Received:
    The previous PSU wouldn't be able to run it since it had only 1 6pin connector and so the compatibility cables wouldn't have been able to work out with it.

Yes, it's my version of BIOS, and lol, I won't put time anymore asking for HP's help. My warranty is long past anyway, so all I can do is call for a fee..!

I totally agree with the pre-built PC observation my friend haha, next time I'll think twice. Though since the problem mainly lies within the motherboard, are there others for me available that I can buy and that I can be sure will fit and will be compatible with my HP unit and it's whole bundle?

Thank you!

6. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    You never mentioned which board the other computer (the one you tested your GTX 760 in) has, so if it's an s1155 board, you could swap that into your HP, and get the Pegatron board into the other computer...

There are, of course, other motherboards, and since the IPISB-CH2 is a standard mATX fare, you can swap in pretty much any mATX board you like. I personally recommend ASRock boards, since they offer the most for your money in the low-to-mid-end segment.

There's another option, one that could potentially brick your motherboard... You could try flashing the "Cleveland" BIOS onto your "Chicago" board. They are similar enough to make something like this feasible, but I cannot say if your board will even boot after something like this. I've done something like this before, but on some Q67 board, and it worked flawlessly. Again, don't hold me responsible if you try this and it backfires.

7. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    wrong thread :laugh:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  8. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    This has to be the most random (accidental?) thread hijack I ever saw.

Well done.

9. sgtskywalker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Naah, I don't think swapping the motherboards will cut it. Don't know exactly which model I have on the other one, haven't really checked. I know its an Asus and that's it's an ATX so it will already not fit in my HP. Plus it's a pretty old one, with DDR2 memory slots, soo naah.

I think I'll just buy a new motherboard with a new case as well. Any suggestion??

10. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    nah i was not looking at where i wrote i was busy so i guess i need to learn how to look more :laugh:

11. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    FWIW I sold a perfectly good HD7970 through ebay and the guy had to return it because his PC would not boot with that specific card in it. It's not that it was a specific model, it was the bios version the vendor had put on that model.

In the end I gave the card away to Norton on TPU that runs the crunching forum and it works perfectly.

It may be a deathly incompatibility and I would suggest the mobo requires flashing.

12. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    There's no real pressing need to change your case, but if you wish to do so, it's best that you pick one yourself - I wouldn't want to impose my aesthetic taste on you. Also, it's nice to set a budget min/max, so it'll be easier to balance the wants and the needs.

As for the motherboard, it will also depend upon your budget, your upgrade plans and the case you pick. But in essence, pretty much any board from the "great four" (Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte, MSI) above say $50 will do, and you should choose based on connectivity and additional functionality - since any of them will house your CPU just fine.

So, what's your budget, what do you look for in a case and motherboard, and where are you planning on buying from?

13. sgtskywalker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well for the case I don't have much choice unless I buy another motherboard which is of the form uATX, and there isn't that much of them that actually appeal to my needs.

So I'll go for something ATX compatible. Mainly something with more than only one PCI-e 3.0 slot, supporting i7, compatible with Nvidia and SLI systems and not over 100$. Preferably something that is known to be good and reliable, too.

I've found an ASRock Z77 Extreme3 recently to be extremely in the likes of what I intend to buy. Anything else in the same range?

Also, should I better look in retail stores to avoid possible damages and additional shipping fees for RMAs in case of damage due to transportation when buying online?