1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Graphics Card for 3rd Monitor Setup

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by dsg809, Jul 14, 2014.

1. dsg809 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I currently have a GTX 560 Ti 1 GB graphics card but it only supports 2 monitors. I would like to set up a third monitor, so I'm thinking about getting a new graphics card. An improvement in gaming experience is also desired. I'm considering either the GTX 760 or the R9 270X. I dont want to spend more than 250 and would prefer to stick around the $200 price range. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

2. LaytonJnr

LaytonJnr

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

What resolution monitors would you be using? Are you wanting to do a gaming multi-monitor setup, or will you only be gaming on one monitor? If so, what resolution will the monitor be you use for gaming. This could affect the quality of graphics, as those you suggested may not perform at the highest settings in a multi-monitor gaming environment.

Layton

1 Million points folded for TPU
  3. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    In all honesty, if your trying to game on a 3 monitor setup, you are going to require more GPU power than a single card can offer or drop the graphics settings. However if you want to do this, the best option would be one of these two cards:

R9 280X PowerColor (Open box special) 240, normally this card runs 275+

R9 280 PowerColor 195

4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Do you just want 3 monitors for productivity or do you want to play games across 3 monitors? Those are two very different things and latter will require more GPU umfph than you're currently budgeting for.

5. dsg809 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want 1 monitor for gaming, the other 2 monitors for productivity. I currently have 1 monitor with 1680x1050 resolution which I use for gaming. In the future months I plan on buying a larger monitor, perhaps up to 27 inches, which I would use for gaming. I primarily play Starcraft 2.

6. GorbazTheDragon

Thanks Received:
    The GTX 760 is a really good card, it falls in a bit above the 270(x) in both price and performance.

If you are willing to spend the bit extra, I'd say the 760 over the 270x, although you may be able to find a 280 or 280x in your budget, which would outperform the 760.

7. CounterZeus

CounterZeus

Thanks Received:
    Well, you can also use a cheap card for the extra screen. The Nvidia driver handles this really well. I currently use a 560Ti for 2 screens (and game on one) and an older 9600GT without power connector for my third monitor. Probably OK for starcraft 2 :) But if you really want a performance upgrade, I'd take the GTX760.