1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Hard Drive...should I partition?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Guttboy, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Guttboy

Guttboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone,

Well my Laptop HDD went bad and the new one is here. WinXP Pro is asking if I would like to partition it?

What are your thoughts? It is a 120 GB drive....

Pro's/Con's.......

What size should I make each? Should I put XP on one partition and then make a bigger one for programs...any other suggestions?

Regards!

:toast:

2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I hate partitions, they just make things more difficult...lol. I have never really seen a benifit in partitioning.

:toast:

3. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i always have a small one for the operating system of about 30 gigs.. by operating system i mean all the essentials on top of windows like firefox winamp and a few other apps i think of as must haves.. it comes to about 10 gigs max.. the rest of the 30 gigs i leave empty as temporary desktop working space..

i just find it easy to back up the important bits this way..

trog

4. Guttboy

Guttboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I will stick with the one partition. I keep things pretty organized in folders so I think it wouldnt be of much harm with just one.

Was just wondering if there was an advantage to a partition...I will not be running multiple OS's.